Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I don't believe it! Bakshi's "Fire and Ice" is out today in R2!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-15-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000080393

I'm a big fan of Sword & Sorcery films (for better or for worse) and Fire and Ice has been really high on my "Must See" list of movie for years, but I'd almost given up on seeing it in any format, for rent or for own. The "What Movies Will Never, Never, Never Come Out on DVD?" thread in the DVD Talk forum got me thinking about it again, and I was about to post it, but before I did I decided to do a simple Google search just to see if I could find even so much as a worn-out VHS or a bootleg DVD. Low and behold, one of the first things that came up was a listing for Blackstar, who had the DVD listed as going on sale today! A not only do that have it, but they have it for £4.99! And it's not even my birthday!

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else cares, but this made my day and I just thought I'd pass on to my fellow International DVD buyers.
Old 09-15-03, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is also a Australian R4 disc that's been out for ages. Not sure how the price point would compare currently....ahh nostalga!
Old 09-15-03, 10:10 PM
Banned

I've had the R4 for a while now. I wonder how the R2 compares with the R4. I may end up owning two versions of this flick.
Old 09-16-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The manufacturer's site (http://www.choicesdirect.com/templat...uctGuid=660586) indicates that the R2 DVD is anamorphic whereas the R4 disc is not. You can order it direct from them but BlackStar is cheaper.
Old 09-16-03, 09:51 AM

The R4 is 1.66 Widescreen and looks very well composed. I would hope that the R2 1.85 isn't over-matted....if someone ever gets both it'd be interesting to do a comparison.
Old 09-18-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well....dang. I wished I'd know about the Australian DVD so I could have got this along time ago. But the UK disc seems to be the better value and hopefully the better disc, so I guess it's okay.
Old 09-19-03, 12:16 AM

I've got the R4 DVD which has some obvious ghosting issues.
However, there is a R2 Swedish ( or should I say Nordic ) release that initially said anamorphic just as the Dutch release said so as well but I'm pretty sure it's not true. It'a most likely only 1:66:1 letterbox in the UK as well. Mabye not from the same source as the R4, though. But for that price there's not much chance of an anamorphic transfer.
Ericf
Old 09-20-03, 01:14 AM

I didn't know this was avaliable. I can stop watching my worn out VHS copy of this movie.
Now if I could only get Wizards on DVD.
Old 09-21-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had never heard of this, but just ordered it. Thanks!
Old 09-24-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It got my copy in today. I haven't got a chance to watch it all yet, but I popped it in for a few minutes and it is indeed Anamorphic.