Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Sabbath [w/ Ozzy] Albums Box Set

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

DVD Bolsters Sabbath Retrospective

A DVD of consisting of rare performance footage will round out a nine-disc Black Sabbath collection due out for the holiday season. The bulk of "Black Box: The Complete Original Black Sabbath (1970-1978)" will consist of remastered versions of the band's eight original studio albums. The set will be released Nov. 4 via Warner Bros./Rhino.

The DVD boasts live performances of "Iron Man," "Paranoid" and a cover of "Blue Suede Shoes," plus a promotional clip for the 1970 album "Black Sabbath."

All of the albums feature the band's original lineup: vocalist Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi, bassist Terry "Geezer" Butler and drummer Bill Ward. Each set -- "Black Sabbath," "Paranoid," "Master of Reality," "Vol. 4," "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," "Sabotage," "Technical Ecstasy" and "Never Say Die!" -- will be packaged in individual slip cases within the box.

In addition to the albums, the non-album studio track "Evil Woman," originally released as a single in 1970 prior to the band's self-titled debut, is also included.

All of the lyrics from each will be included in an 80-page book, which comprises vintage photographs, a group timeline and essays. Also included will be testimonials from the likes of Rob Zombie, Metallica's James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde, the guitarist in Osbourne's band.

from [BILLBOARD.com]
Old 09-15-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am SO buying this. Best Band Ever.
Old 09-15-03, 06:26 PM

Sounds like one AWESOME box set, but how many hundred dollars will I have to shell out for it?
Old 09-16-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what?? no Dio? Heaven and Hell is the best Sabbath album!
Old 10-02-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Warner Bros./Rhino Records has postponed the release of its box set "Black Box: The Complete Original Black Sabbath (1970-1978)" to 2004, due to production delays. The nine-disc collection was originally pegged for a Nov. 4 release date.

from [BILLBOARD.com]
Old 10-02-03, 04:11 PM

Any idea on how much this thing will cost?
Old 10-02-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gourmet Artist
It's RHINO RECORDS, so it's gonna be TOO MUCH

Last edited by gerrythedon; 10-03-03 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-02-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fantastic! These albums have been screaming for remastering for some time now.
Old 10-02-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but did Sharon demand that Geezer's and Ward's tracks be replaced by new recordings?
Old 10-03-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DGibFen
Yeah, but did Sharon demand that Geezer's and Ward's tracks be replaced by new recordings?
Old 10-03-03, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Gourmet Artist
MSRP: $99.95
Old 10-03-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

October 3, 2003

BLACK BOX DELAYED

This past week I was out of town on vacation, and this email came in during that time. It's from the record label that is putting out the Black Box set. Here's what they had to say..

NOTE: DUE TO PRODUCTION DELAYS, BLACK BOX: THE ORIGINAL BLACK SABBATH (1970-1978) PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED FOR RELEASE NOVEMBER 4, WILL NOW BE RELEASED IN 2004. SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE!

I don't have any further details at this time regarding either a replacement date, or a reason for the delay exactly. Once I do, I'll have an update.

from www.black-sabbath.com
Old 10-04-03, 02:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by turborobb
</small>No need to stop with just Ozzy's time with the band. They could do:-
  • "The Dio Years" - with material from H&H, MR and Dehumaniser (possibly with some live stuff)
  • "The Purple Years" - using the best of the Hughes and Gillan recordings
  • "The Tony Martin Years" - culled from his many recordings with Iommi and whoever was playing that week.
  • "All Our Yesterdays/Best of the rest" - live material from when Rob Halford and Ray Gillen fronted.
Old 10-04-03, 09:10 AM

there was an import box of remastered versions of these albums released a few years ago btw...i doubt the sound quality will be much different than on those discs so if you have this box you probably could skip buying the new one[it was on the castle label]
Old 10-04-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys should really read the NEWS section at www.black-sabbath.com before posting :

Originally posted by hawk
there was an import box of remastered versions of these albums released a few years ago btw...i doubt the sound quality will be much different than on those discs so if you have this box you probably could skip buying the new one[it was on the castle label]
"I can say this, these are culled from the same remastering sessions that produced last year's Symptom of the Universe 2 CD set. The sound fidelity on them was absolutely spectacular, and kicked the 1996 Castle Remasters in the head. I expect the same kind of audio experience from these. " - www.black-sabbath.com,

"UPDATE: After speaking with Tony Iommi's management company, I can confirm that the remaining Sabbath catalog is slated for similar treatment, so this will not turn out to be totally an "Ozzy era only" thing. But details and release dates are unknown at this point. Sabbath's record deal with Warner expired after 1987's Eternal Idol album, and they were with IRS through 1996. I would expect that the couple of albums past 1996 (Reunion, Past Lives & Symptom set) aren't likely to be touched, since they're all relatively new anyway. However, this is good news for fans of Sabbath's music without Ozzy in it. Again, no details are available, but I'd love to hear really cleaned up versions of the other albums - perhaps we might finally get the proper mix of Born Again after all these years? " - www.black-sabbath.com
Old 10-06-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heaven & Hell is a damn good album, but it can't compare to any of the first 6 original Sabbath albums. Thats no knock on Dio, its just the facts.

I love H&H though. Lady Evil is off the hizzle.
Old 10-06-03, 02:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by demonio
Heaven & Hell is a damn good album, but it can't compare to any of the first 6 original Sabbath albums.
</small>That said, I'd guess that many would pick H&H over either of "Technical Ecstasy" or "Never Say Die"; the albums that followed Sabotage (album 6) and preceded Ozzy's departure/Ronnie's arrival.
Old 01-28-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive got one question. How is the current WB master of Paranoid? I don't really want the box set, or bonus tracks, so thats the reason that I want that one. And also I am aware that there is a "power sound " version of their albums that sound absolutly terrible. I have the 2 disc greatest hits box, and it sounds pretty good, just it sounds a bit too compressed in sound.
Old 01-28-04, 09:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I presume they'll release these inividually. I don't really want Vol. 4, Technical Ecstacy or Never Say Die. I will gladly pick up the ST, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. And H&H and The Mob Rules when they also come out.
Old 01-28-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I presume they'll release these inividually. I don't really want Vol. 4, Technical Ecstacy or Never Say Die. I will gladly pick up the ST, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. And H&H and The Mob Rules when they also come out.
Vol 4 is their best album IMO
Old 01-28-04, 10:17 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by demonio
Vol 4 is their best album IMO
It has a couple of good songs, but I find it to be too plodding. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage would get my vote for their best.
Old 01-29-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Totally agree, along with "Born Again" the two best sabbath albums, Zero The Hero and Disturbing The Priest are my favorite sabbath songs ever...
Old 01-29-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can someone still comment on how good/bad the current masters are?
Old 01-30-04, 03:59 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Rypro 525
can someone still comment on how good/bad the current masters are?
Pretty bad. Sabbath always sounded murky, but on the current CDs they just sound bogged down. Knowing the level of quality in Rhino's remastering, I fully expect these remasters to put the current CDs to shame.
Old 04-20-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh hell yeah

Next week!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.