Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Trigger's Latest Shipment + Reviews

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-15-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Okay - I got a bunch of flix today, more will come tomorrow and later this week... Feel free to request reviews... I'll get to them when I can.

Here's the complete list:

Resurrection of the Little Match Girl
R. U. Ready?
Unborn but Forgotten
Classic
Who Are You?
Scent Of Man
No Manners
What A Hero!
Make It Big
THREE
Happy Funeral Director
A Perfect Match
Yesterday
Saving My Hubby
H
KT - Korean-Japanese Joint Product
Sex is Zero
Can't Live without Robbery
My Tutor Friend L.E - Fried Chicken with Sauce Package
Swallowtail Butterfly
Teacher, Mr.Kim
Wild Card
Oh! Happy Day
Save the Green Planet
Tube L.E
The Twins Effect
Dead Or Alive Final
Dolls
Wonderful Days
Drunken Monkey
Brush Up My Sisters
Juon
Love Undercover 2
Ong Bak
Elysium
Old 09-15-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resurrection is a day glo sort of Matrix mess but entertaining. Ju-On is a nice haunted house movie but feeld liek youre missing something from the first 2 tv movies that precedeed it. Twins Effect is so bad I sold it before I finished watching it, and after finishing it I decided I made the right choice. Dead or Alive Final is as out there as the first 2, which if you saw the first 2 then you know what I mean, not as great as pt 1 or as meditative as pt.3. Ong Bak I have to wait for a release with English subs but everyone seems to say its not necessary but I hear the action is awesome, Im waiting to see if Wonderful Days hits my Chinatown stores before paying $26 for it online.
Old 09-15-03, 03:24 PM

I'd like to hear how Sex Is Zero and Tube is!
Old 09-15-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(I personally really enjoyed The Twins Effect.) I'd like to see a review of Wonderful Days. I've been considering picking that one up...
Old 09-15-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These are the ones I got today - I'll try to watch one tonight. The rest of the list is coming from 3 different places - the bulk coming from yesasia, one from Sensasian and 2 from ethaicd.

Resurrection of the Little Match Girl
R. U. Ready?
Unborn but Forgotten
Classic
Who Are You?
Scent Of Man
Old 09-15-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by malkmuz
I'd like to hear how Sex Is Zero and Tube is!
Tube is high on my list to watch, so I'll probably get to that this week. I'll put Sex is Zero up there too - have to watch that with someone whenever she gets off work.

Originally posted by aeron
(I personally really enjoyed The Twins Effect.) I'd like to see a review of Wonderful Days. I've been considering picking that one up...
I'm eager to check out Wonderful Days, so it'll be sometime this week too. Good to hear about Twins Effect - it got mixed reviews.
Originally posted by harosa
Resurrection is a day glo sort of Matrix mess but entertaining. Ju-On is a nice haunted house movie but feeld liek youre missing something from the first 2 tv movies that precedeed it. Twins Effect is so bad I sold it before I finished watching it, and after finishing it I decided I made the right choice. Dead or Alive Final is as out there as the first 2, which if you saw the first 2 then you know what I mean, not as great as pt 1 or as meditative as pt.3. Ong Bak I have to wait for a release with English subs but everyone seems to say its not necessary but I hear the action is awesome, Im waiting to see if Wonderful Days hits my Chinatown stores before paying $26 for it online.
I wanted to see the first tv shows of Juon - no subs though. :/ I'll probably watch Resurrection tonight. Can't wait for Ong Bak. If Wonderful Days sux, I'll probably sell it.

Last edited by Trigger; 09-15-03 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Tube is high on my list to watch, so I'll probably get to that this week. I'll put Sex is Zero up there too - have to watch that with someone whenever she gets off work.

I'm eager to check out Wonderful Days, so it'll be sometime this week too. Good to hear about Twins Effect - it got mixed reviews.
I wanted to see the first tv shows of Juon - no subs though. :/ I'll probably watch Resurrection tonight. Can't wait for Ong Bak. If Wonderful Days sux, I'll probably sell it.
If you're interested in watching the first two Juon TV movies with subs, you can always check this out. Can't vouch for his services though.

Anyway, if you want to get rid of Wonderful Days, drop me a line.

Jeremy
Old 09-15-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Brush Up My Sisters" please.
Old 09-15-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally posted by jrutz
If you're interested in watching the first two Juon TV movies with subs, you can always check this out. Can't vouch for his services though.

I just ordered the 2 Juon tv movies from that site. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Edited to add: I did do a search on this guy's site before I ordered. That didn't turn up anything fishy. So he's probably legit.

Last edited by eXcentris; 09-15-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
I just ordered the 2 Juon tv movies from that site. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Please do - looks like bootleg stuff to me, but I don't know - I sent the guy an email asking some probing questions - we'll see.
Old 09-15-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please do - looks like bootleg stuff to me, but I don't know - I sent the guy an email asking some probing questions - we'll see.
They are fansubs, so he owns the original masters and will send you a copy English fansubbed. I don't want to get him in trouble...

This is legal, as long as you own the originals.

Jeremy
Old 09-15-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh... well, I guess I'll have to pick up the Japanese versions of Juon before I buy these from him then.

On another note - I opened up Resurrection of Match Girl and there was no disc inside...
Old 09-15-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - since Match Girl wasn't in the case, I watched R U Ready? I guess I was feeling masochistic. What a piece of crap. Okay - here's a review...

R U Ready? (s. corea 2002)

So... how to describe this... It's kinda like what would happen if Jumanji was a Twilight Zone episode. It's basically about these people who all kinda happen to wind up in the same place at the same time and go through this little adventure together which changes their lives. These people are at a zoo/theme park and they all get on this tour bus. Then these bears go crazy and start attacking the bus, so a few of them decide it's a good idea to get off the bus and run away. They end up in this abandoned building and then quickly realize that they aren't even in the park anymore and they have to fight for their lives to survive. Actually - they have to figure out what it is that they lost and get it back so they can go back to reality. That's not really a spoiler since they kinda explain that early on - it's just that you won't know what the hell is going on at that point cuz the movie is so disjointed and confusing it's like watching some kid with ADHD bounce off the walls.

The story was pretty lame... Actually, they had a good idea, but the problem was the execution. It could have been good, but it wasn't. Other problems were the effects - sub-par really. Guys in bear suits and CGI rat swarm that looked like the crap. I mean - the CGI in this movie looked like the test or scratch CGI they use in hollywood movies just to show a rough cut of what the final will look like. There's a sequence (that also appears in the trailer) with this new SUV driving around this mountainside with an avalance happening all around it - it's kinda cool looking, but it looked more like a car commercial than a scene from a movie.

The acting is another issue here - it's just crappy. Hmm... what else? There's really nothing more to say - i thought there was, but basically it's just bad.

The DVD is actually quite nice - it has DTS which sounded quite good and a few extras - and in spite of saying it's Region 3, it worked just fine in my R1 player, so it's actually R0. The image quality was quite good - not that it helped. The subtitles were mediocre - they were easy to read, but there were quite a few errors (which I'm just less tolerant of these days) in spelling and grammar and there was a few moments where they were just mastered weird... either they wouldn't show up or they would kinda forget to split a long sentence into 2 lines so it would just run off on each side. I'm not saying the subs were bad - cuz they were actually pretty average for a Korean release. It's just that they weren't great.

Overall - this film deserves about a 4/10. It's kinda almost worth seeing, but not really. You could pass and live the rest of your life and not miss anything. I did think there was some good ideas here, but the good ideas were obviously put in the wrong hands.

Oh yeah -and if anyone wants to buy this off me, it's actually really really good.
Old 09-16-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unborn But Forgotten (S. Korea 2002)

Okay - this one was better than R U Ready. Although it did suffer from a really stupid premise. Borrowing from films like Ring and Dark Water - A cursed website... victims that click on it die after 15 days from becoming 9 months pregnant within the span of a minute, crushing their internal organs. Um... yeah. I don't wanna spoil it cuz this one is actually worth watching - although it does become quite predictable as it moves along.

There are several good creepy moments - lots of chilling ghostly appearances and jumpy scares. Everything about it is pretty well done - typical of modern Korean cinema - good acting, good cinematography, and good effects and the pacing is also pretty lively. there were a few moments that were a bit silly, but nothing that would ruin the movie. Also, some of the scares and creeps were a little over-the-top like they were just trying too hard... still, mostly effective.

Overall, it's about as good as Phone - although it doesn't have alot in common with Phone. Then again - it's not all that different. Hard to say. I mean, aside from the retarded premise, the film is pretty good. If you can't like a movie just cuz the main story thread is stupid, then just keep on movin... that is - if the thought of a haunted website makes you cringe, then just walk away.

The DVD is good - it's Korean, so of course it's good. The DTS track sounded excellent (but I could only listen to it for a few minutes cuz my Malata kept dropping the track) and the DD5.1 was also good. The video was great as well. Subs were pretty accurate and easy to read and relatively mistake free.

Unborn but Forgotten deserves a 6.5/10... maybe a 7. In spite of being an almost total rip-off, the film ends up being fairly original... I never saw Fear Dotcom, but based on the title alone, I figure they might have borrowed from that flim as well. Anyway - in spite of it all, I give it a

Side note - How can something be unborn? Don't you have to go back to being an embryo and go back inside the womb or something?
Old 09-16-03, 03:12 PM

Keep the reviews coming, for the tube just say if it's thumbs up or down? Heheh. =)
Old 09-16-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jrutz
They are fansubs, so he owns the original masters and will send you a copy English fansubbed. I don't want to get him in trouble...

This is legal, as long as you own the originals.

Jeremy
Although I've never dealt with him, from what I understand Ctenosaur's pretty reputable, quality discs/subs. He focuses on obscure Japanese films that haven't been subbed in English anywhere.
Old 09-16-03, 03:47 PM

I know it's legal to make fansubs for yourself, but is it legal to sell them??
Old 09-16-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zerotl
Keep the reviews coming, for the tube just say if it's thumbs up or down? Heheh. =)
Too much reading? I can make em shorter. :/

Anyway - the bulk of the shipment probably comes tomorrow according the UPS tracking. No word yet on my Match Girl disc.
Old 09-17-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who @re You? (S. Korea 2002)

Basically it's You've Got Mail. It's a romance/drama. It's not bad, but it's kinda dull. It's all based around this video game/3d chat/dating connection thing... the graphics are pretty cool. Subtitles are good. Picture is also good. Sound is just 2.0, but it's fine for this flick. Overall it gets a low 6/10... it's worth watching if you like romantic dramas, but I couldn't really get into it. cuz it's a well-made flick, but that doesn't mean I recommend it.
Old 09-17-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Trigger's Latest Shipment + Reviews

Wild Card
Elysium
Would certainly be interested to hear your opinions on these two once you receive them
Old 09-18-03, 11:27 AM

My Tutor Friend L.E - Fried Chicken with/without Sauce Package
please.

Also, did you have problems with the layer change on Twins Effect? I've read a lot of complaints about that.
Old 09-18-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally posted by dleedlee
My Tutor Friend L.E - Fried Chicken with/without Sauce Package
please.

It tries to be My Sassy Girl but fails. I didn't find it funny, charming, or endearing, or anything. Despite the lead actors doing a competent job, I didn't care for their characters. The whole thing was just a bore. That said, despite liking My Sassy Girl, I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies to start with, so others might feel differently. Anyway, mine is for sale.
Old 09-18-03, 03:17 PM

Too much reading? I can make em shorter. :/

Anyway - the bulk of the shipment probably comes tomorrow according the UPS tracking. No word yet on my Match Girl disc.
Nah it's just when I'm really excited about a movie, I wanna know as less as possible.
Old 09-18-03, 04:04 PM

No big loss on Match Girl since it doesn't have English subs. Unless you bought the bootleg one.
Old 09-18-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw crap - I thought Match Girl had subs... That sucks. Anywhere online I can get subs for it?

Ong Bak - Thailand

Speaking of having no subtitles, this is the first DVD I bought knowing it didn't contain English subs. I'm glad I did. This guy is nuts... there are no wires, no trampolines, and no CGI - just this dude jumping around like a maniac. The story is easy enough to follow... subtitles would've been nice during the dialogue scenes, but you can get the basic idea. I had no trouble following the story... it's alot like an old school Van Damme movie. The DVD is awesome too - it has tons of extras which are also worth watching (even though there aren't subtitles). Sound and video are great. I give this film an 8/10 and a

Ju-On - Japan

Horror film with lots of buzz surrounding it... The trailer was pretty creepy. As for the film, it's pretty good. It's no Ring, but it's worth watching. Some of the scares and creeps fall short of scary and border on laughable and cheesy. I don't think this will end up a cult classic any time soon, but it's still decent. The story is presented in a non-linear fashion and at times it's a little difficult to follow or figure out what happened when. Still, it's decent enough to get a recommend from me - 6.5/10 and a

Tube - S. Korea

The big budget blockbuster of the year... Tube. Well, it's really not all that great. There's plenty of action and some romance and drama - and even one or two laughs. Tube is just your basic action thriller. It's alot like Speed and Under Seige and even borrows from movies like Apollo 13. Not much to say really, but I can only give this a 5/10 (and I'm being generous) and I can't really say whether it's a thumbs up or down cuz it's just 'allright'.

Love Undercover 2 - Hong Kong

Well, if you liked Love Undercover or Dummy Mommy Without a Baby or any other Miriam movie, you'll like this as well. I thought it was better than the first one. It's very funny and there are more laughs and they are consistant throughout. Seeing the first one isn't a requirement, but it gives you some background on all the characters. I give this a solid 8/10 and a

Drunken Monkey - Hong Kong

Shaw Brothers are back... this film is pretty damn good. If you liked Drunken Master 2, you'll like this as well. It's basically your typical HK 'western' with plenty of action, comedy and drama. Good fight scenes and interesting story. I didn't like the 2 most commonly mentioned Shaw Brothers films - 5 Super Ninjas (or whatever) and The Man with a Golden Arm (or whatever)... I grew up on films like theirs back in the 80s when they would play em on Kung Fu Theater after school. Those two however weren't what I remembered. Drunken Monkey is good though. It's worth seeing if you like that sort of thing - 7.5/10 and a

Twins Effect - Hong Kong

The film doesn't really know what it wants to be... HK films are like this quite often. They all try to be everything - comedy, drama, action, romance, and anything else you can think of. Since money is tight, people don't want to give up their coin unless they're sure they're gonna be entertained for 2 hours. The film starts out with some amazing stuff - I was ready to say it was better than Blade (the Wesley Snipes vampire flick), but then it got all silly - then back to serious - then silly - then dramatic... see where I'm going with this? Jackie Chan's appearance is more than a cameo - he even does a little fighting. Karen Mok also appears a few times and she's funny. Anyway - Overall, it's a pretty cute movie and the effects are great. It almost earns an 8, but not quite. 7.5 I guess.

Another thing to note - as you've been hearing - the DVD is mastered poorly. Yes, I experienced alot of problems with this disc. It stuttered every few minutes throughout the second half of the film and the sound dropped out frequently. I'd suggest waiting till it is released elsewhere or until Universe fixes this version... if you can't wait, some people have reported no problems, so it's possible you could get lucky. I didn't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.