Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend Some Theme Music

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, yes, this is indirectly a gaming question. I am running a role-playing game at a convention coming up in November. It is a Vampire game (think Goth) set in Alaska. I'd like to find some music for the game... preferably something in the modern-classical genre, or opera, but I'd be willing to go the New Age or soundtrack route if anyone has any recommendations.

Think gothic horror Northern Exposure and you'll get the general idea. Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The October Project.
Old 09-15-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the suggestion. Does anybody have any other thoughts while I research The October Project?

EDIT TO ADD: Nooo.... I don't think The October Project is quite what I'm looking for here. At least not the music I sampled from their first album. I need something darker, a bit richer.

Last edited by NCMojo; 09-15-03 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 12:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Twin Peaks music?

Something by Vangelis (e.g. Bladerunner theme music, if available)?

Rush instrumentals?

Or, maybe check out Tangerine Dream as they have a large back catalogue of theme music and some of it is in the scary/atmospheric vein. (They even have a piece called StratosFear).
Old 09-15-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth benedict •<HR SIZE=1>Or, maybe check out Tangerine Dream as they have a large back catalogue of theme music and some of it is in the scary/atmospheric vein. (They even have a piece called StratosFear). <HR SIZE=1>

If you go this route, also check out Christopher Franke's work for Babylon 5. He did a lot of dark alien background music for the show that actually sounds like the backdrop for a dark video game (not thematic, just pulsating backgrounds).

das
Old 09-15-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try these soundtracks:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Interview with a Vampire
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
Old 09-16-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by benedict
Or, maybe check out Tangerine Dream as they have a large back catalogue of theme music and some of it is in the scary/atmospheric vein. (They even have a piece called StratosFear).
Tangerine Dream is pretty cool. Can you recommend any one album of theirs? They have a pretty extensive catalog.

And das, I will check out the Bab5 music. Do you have a link for any Real Audio?
Old 09-16-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I really like Craig Armstrong's score for Plunkett & Macleane. It has a lot of choral music over electronic backgrounds and strings, among other stuff. You may be familiar with one of the songs as it was used for the theme to the "Dark Angel" TV show. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't.

Last edited by DJLinus; 09-16-03 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 01:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by NCMojo
Tangerine Dream is pretty cool. Can you recommend any one album of theirs?
</small>The only one I currently possess is Dream Sequence; a compilation double CD and which happens to include an excerpt from the aforementioned "Stratosfear". I've copied and pasted their film soundtrack albums which might be worth a quick look if you've seen any of the films and can recall something you liked: Sorcerer (1977), Thief (1981), Risky Business (1983), Wavelength (1983), The Keep (1984), Firestarter (1984), Flashpoint (1984), The Park Is Mine (1984), Heartbreakers (1985), Legend (1986), Near Dark (1987), Three O'Clock High (1987), Shy People (1987), Deadly Care (1987), Destination Berlin (1989), Miracle Mile (1989), Dead Solid Perfect (1989), Catch Me If You Can (1989), The Man Inside (1990), Canyon Dreams (1991), Rumpelstiltskin (1992), Zoning (1994), Oasis (1997), Der Meteor (1997), Luminous Visions (1998), Transsiberia (1998), The Great Wall of China (1999), What A Blast (1999), Mota Atma (2003).

I've also just thought that Mike Oldfield is another artist worthy of consideration. Tubular Bells was his first album and was used as the theme for The Exorcist.
Old 09-16-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth NCMojo •<HR SIZE=1>And das, I will check out the Bab5 music. Do you have a link for any Real Audio? <HR SIZE=1>

There are at least 30 different Babylon 5 soundtracks, and it appears there's a lot of samples on Amazon.com. I have the originals at home, but you'd need to narrow down the sound for me to help. If you can find something of his on Amazon that fits what you want I can go from that. I was thinking the episode "Soul Hunter" would have some good stuff that suits what you've described, but I don't see any links to that. Still, you can try clicking around.

das
Old 09-16-03, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mojo, there is one fantastic piece on the budget NAXOS classical label, a ballet (Dracula) by Philip Feeney! I was surprised when I heard this, it is very gothic and should be looked into!

A lesser recommendation would be Elliot Goldenthal's score to Interview With the Vampire. Probably not a good decision is the soundtrack to Vampyros Lesbos!