Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns on DVD Nov. 18

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case any of you fellow They Might Be Giants fans who (like me) weren't able to catch this documentry during its limited release will be able to watch it on DVD on Nov. 18 according to DVDFile-

Rounding out today's news is the return of They Might Be Giants. The seminal 80's alternative act will debut their acclaimed neo-documentary film Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns. Plexifilm will release a special two-disc set on November 18th, complete with a 4:3 full screen transfer and a Dolby 2.0 stereo track, audio commentary by band members John Flansburgh and John Linnell, director AJ Schnack and Sarah Vowell, additional live performances, a 2001 Tower Records in-store appearance, three music videos, deleted scenes, raw footage, additional interviews and more surprises. Retail is $24.95.

I was able to catch the tv special they had on ABC back in March and what they showed from the movie looked pretty good... Can't wait til Nov. (my most expensive dvd purchasing month ever)
Old 09-12-03, 09:52 AM

YES! I had hears a rumored release of sometime in October; it's nice to see something official. Much thanks.
Old 09-12-03, 10:41 AM

FYI This movie will be shown in Atlanta GA at the Madstone Theaters, beginning 10/17.. if anyone (like me) wants to check it out!

www.madstonetheaters.com
Old 09-12-03, 10:53 AM

I just got this info off the gigantic website on whats on the DVD:

With 4 1/2 hours of bonus materials including:

Feature-length audio commentary from John Flansburgh, John Linnell, Sarah Vowell and Director AJ Schnack

Deleted scenes with audio commentary from Producer Shirley Moyers and Director AJ Schnack

Previously unreleased Polish National Home concert footage of Fingertips, Number Three and They Might Be Giants

Five They Might Be Giants videos (Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head, Don't Let's Start, (She Was a) Hotel Detective, Ana Ng and Birdhouse in Your Soul) with introductions by John Flansburgh, John Linnell and Director Adam Bernstein

Three They Might Be Giants videos from ABC News Nightline Primetime's Brave New World (Older, Dan v. Cog and King Weed) with introduction by ABC Newsâ Robert Krulwich

The Flood Promotional Video featuring vintage performance of Particle Man

Performance of Birdhouse in Your Soul with Doc Severinsen and the NBC Orchestra on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson

Scenes from Nick Rocks hosted by They Might Be Giants

Raw footage from Tower Records instore featuring performances of Boat of Car and Meet James Ensor

Sarah Vowell's "When the Telephone is Your Medium" from This American Life

Michael McKean's recitation of I Palindrome I

Vintage live performances from Joy Farm in Milwaukee including Hide Away Folk Family and Mr. Me

Numerous, never-before-seen raw footage and interview segments featuring Dave Eggers, John Flansburgh, Ira Glass, Robin Goldwasser, Dan Hickey, Josh Kornbluth, John Linnell, Dan Miller, Conan OâBrien, Syd Straw, Sarah Vowell and Danny Weinkauf.

Gigantic Theatrical Trailer

And other surprises....

I'd love to see thier other live performances on TV (Conan, Craig Kilborn, Jon Stewart show...) Also I could have sworn there were more than 3 specials on Brave New World, I remember them saying they made 5 episodes for Brave New World. Finally, I hope they'll be able to put Flansburgh's appearance on Space Ghost and well as their new guest spot on Home Moives

Last edited by DIVX Rulz; 09-12-03 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-12-03, 12:35 PM

I only wish they did these documentaries in DD or DTS. I am trying to break your heart is a great documentary, but it and this one would be much more enjoyable w/ 5.1 audio. Oh well.
Old 09-12-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I saw Gigantic last weekend and it was very enjoyable. So much so that I will pick this up.
Old 09-12-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen this yet but I have been dying to. My sister went to the premiere and actually sat in the same row as one of the Johns...can't remember which one right now

I am very excited with the amount of extras on here. TMBG were always one of my favorite bands, though I personally think they have not been very good in the last couple of years

I really should go and check them out live again, I have only seen them a few times, but always had a lot of fun.
Old 09-12-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I will get this disc fosho!
Old 09-15-03, 08:33 AM

I had read there was some stuff with Frank Black. Anyone know if it was performance???
Old 09-15-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by subbacultcha
I had read there was some stuff with Frank Black. Anyone know if it was performance???
That would be very cool. Frank Black did open for them a few years back at one of the shows I went to (and yes he blew them away IMO). It may just be him talking about them, I don't know.
Old 09-15-03, 09:27 AM

wow cool another must have DVD coming out the same day as TTT:EE (if I am not mistaken)
Old 09-15-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by subbacultcha
Nope, just a couple of interview clips. Probably about 30-45 seconds total.
Old 10-22-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is up for pre-order at Deep Discount DVD for $14.99
Old 10-22-03, 01:16 PM

could you provide a URL, I wasn't able to locate it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try this:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=RYK000142

I found out by looking in the "upcoming releases" section.
Old 10-22-03, 02:20 PM

muchas gracias!
Old 01-20-04, 06:25 PM

I just got this today in the mail, wow awesome documentary, and a ridiculous amount of extras, I might still be in recent purchase euphoria, or I might just be having a lot of nostalgic memories related to the music from the late 80's early 90's, but I feel like this is easily the best DVD I have ever bought, I highly recommend this to anyone who like TMBG and anyone who remotely does