Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Outkast - "Speakerbox/The Love Below" Impressions

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 'acquired' this album earlier today and one word sums it up: WOW

First off, the production is absolutely incredible on both discs (as if 'Kast fans expected anything less).

SpeakerBoxxx - 8/10

Big Boi definitely stepped up his game and was able to carry a cd on his own. I've always felt that Andre was a far better MC than Boi, but without Dre he managed to shine.

I don't really have much to say about this cd. I guess the best way I could describe it is Outkast minus Andre because, well, that's what it is. Definitely raising the standard for hiphop.

The only thing ruining this disc are the skits. Why hiphop artists continue to throw on stupid skits to their cds is beyond me.

Favorite Five:
- GhettoMusick
- The Way You Move
- Flip Flop Rock
- Knowing
- Reset

The Love Below - 9.5/10

In all honesty I didn't have very high expectations for Andre's disc, but it stands head and shoulders above Big Boi's Speakerboxx. I'm not really knowledgeable in the history of genre crossovers, but Dre has seriously stepped out of the box and unleashed a truly jaw-dropping cd IMO.

I thought that I would get tired of Dre's singing after a couple tracks, but the more he sang the more his style of singing grew on me. I'm not gonna sit here and say he's an excellent singer, but there's perfection within his imperfect voice that's hard to explain.

All is not lost for those who wanted to hear 'Dre rap. He does spit some bars in a couple songs, but even if he hadn't I would've still been extremely happy. The rapping is just icing on the cake.

I'm really proud what Dre has done here, and I hope everyone goes out and supports him and his new direction.

Favorite Five:
- Prototype
- She Lives In My Lap
- Spread
- She's Alive
- Hey Ya

If you like Outkast you'll be very pleased with this album. I can't wait to buy it.
Old 09-12-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Mannnnnnnn...I gave this a quick listen today.

First of all, hip hop heads are NOT going to like dre's disc. Hopefully they'll give it a chance, but if they're expecting it to sound like past Outkast tracks, they should just stick to Big Boi's disc.

Personally, with dre, I got what I expected. And I loved it.

I really have to go back and give it a thorough listening to, though. As I posted in the "A Perfect Circle" thread -- between this, john mayer, travis, sting, outkast, erykah badu & dido, i'm suffering from new release overload..

..and it's only going to get worse..
Old 09-12-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After a QUICK first listen, I didn't enjoy the discs. But that wasn't giving them any time at all.

I plan on sitting down today and listening through both. It's nice to get these early though If I do enjoy them, I will definitely purchase the CD. Outkast is one group that deserves it.
Old 09-12-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
First of all, hip hop heads are NOT going to like dre's disc.
Dead on. It appears to be a love it or hate it disc.

http://www.sohh.com/forums/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09-12-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Has there been an announcement as to what's on the DVD...?
Old 09-12-03, 02:26 PM

Big Boi's disc is definitely good, but I'm not getting into Dre's that much as of now.
Old 09-12-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant wait to pick this one up, they attempt to capture a certain style (nontraditional, "funky hip hop) and get it so perfectly IMO. Their creativity is nearly unparallel in their business. With the rap scene looking so dead and "cliched" (Chingy, Nelly, Joe Buddens) its refreshing to see them liven up the scene as they always do.
Old 09-12-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

it's funny...some of the posters on that forum that the aftermath posted a link too, commented that they wished Outkast would do more "stereotypical" rap..

Old 09-12-03, 08:59 PM

Entertainment Weekly's issue this week gave it an A and said it was the best of album of the year (so far).

High praise.
Old 09-13-03, 07:45 AM
Cool New Member

Did you guys download of the Internet, or are stores putting it out early?
Old 09-13-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got to say after hearing it a few times that "Hey Ya" is one of the best singles I have listened to in a LONG time. It really feels like a new direction in music, although I recognize elements of funk and new wave in it...I wish more songs on the radio had this level of fun and thoughtful creativity behind them.
Old 09-13-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rzarecta
Did you guys download of the Internet, or are stores putting it out early?
It leaked, it isn't due till the 23rd.
Old 09-13-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Hey Ya video cracks me up,I like vids that don't follow the typical rap formula. "Big Dookie" should go solo

But Big Boys video is great as well P.Diddys manslave and the fat dude were dancing their arses off Why wasn't I invited to that party?
Old 09-16-03, 11:22 PM

OK this CD is reallllly growing on me. It may be a classic. While I really liked Big Boi's disc, Dre's is taking the lead, growing on me with everyday.

Either way, both of them have incredible talent and style. I'll be there next week to buy it.
Old 09-17-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This will probably be the first CD I buy in a long time.
Old 09-23-03, 03:34 PM

Probably the best CD I've heard this year, so far. It was a big item today at BB. I hope it sells well.
Old 09-23-03, 04:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Roses is a brilliant song.
Old 09-23-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

about to head up to BB, but was there a DVD with it..?
Old 09-23-03, 04:26 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Roses is a brilliant song.

Agree. Roses is excellent!!! Just finished with Dre's album and I love it. I thought him singing would get annoying, but it didn't. Great production and his lyrics are real funny!! Now on to Speakerboxxx. I just hope Big Boi disc is just as good.
Old 09-23-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After a couple of listens I enjoy both discs, but absolutely believe it would have been much better as a single 15 song album. I'm really quite sick of interludes.

I'll have to give it some time to grow on me, though.
Old 09-23-03, 05:32 PM
Banned

Alot of really good songs on both albums. I was just thinking, if they had combined the top 6 songs from each album and just had a single album, it would have been one of the best ever, at least in hip hop. Dre's is more creative, Ive listened to it like 5 times already, it gets better with each listen. My favorite song so far (along with Hey Ya) is that that one Dre did with Norah Jones, its not even hip hop or R&B, its acoustic. Dre produced some of the songs on Big Bois side as well, and those songs clearly stand out from the rest, IMO.
Old 09-23-03, 09:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just picked it up today. ONe of my favorite albums I have. Not a damn bad song on the entire set and im not a big rap guy.

Andres disk is more my type of thing: funky wierdness. and boy does he go above and beyond anything I thought possible. I love both disks.

Maybe Outkast will finally get their due at grammy time!
Old 09-23-03, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With the exception of interludes, I love both discs...although Andre's really grabbed me on first listen. In addition to the new Lifesavas disc, the best hip hop album(s) I've heard in a long time. However, someone definitely needs to send a message to the rap community that interludes almost always suck.
Old 09-24-03, 01:23 AM

After skimming through Andre's cd while driving to work, I began to think that I had made a mistake by buying the album. But after work I sat down at home and gave it a good listen, and I found out just how good of an album this is. Each time I listen to it, it just seems to get better. I haven't even had a chance to listen to the other cd yet because I've been listening to Andre's nonstop.
Old 09-24-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tsohg
The Hey Ya video cracks me up,I like vids that don't follow the typical rap formula. "Big Dookie" should go solo

But Big Boys video is great as well P.Diddys manslave and the fat dude were dancing their arses off Why wasn't I invited to that party?
Diddy's manslave? Too funny. Will be picking it up soon. I finally got Chevelle's "Wonder Whats Next" so I might wait a little bit to give that cd a fair listen. Either way, Outkast is one of, if not thee, most underated artists in ALL of music.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.