Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Difference in Sega Genesis systems Model 2 and 3?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what the difference was in the Sega Genesis Model 2 and the smaller Model 3?

Does one work better? etc. etc.

Thanks for any help
Old 09-10-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Model 3 wasn't compatible with stuff like the Sega CD or 32X. Probably had different AV cables and stuff to.

As far as playing Genesis games it should have been the same. If memory serves all models of the Genesis were well built and reliable. I liked the built in headphone jack on the first model.
Old 09-11-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if you had to pick a model, you would go with the first model?
Old 09-11-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3rd model is pretty awesome, but it does not allow use of the Master System Converter (if you wanted to use it).. or the other add-ons (Sega CD, 32x). However, all those add-ons sucked for the most part, with the exception of the Master System Converter. The 2 games worth playing on CD were re-made for Playstation.

If you're only going to play Genny games, any model will do you, just the model 3 is so tiny and cute, I have one. Be sure to pick up Wonder Boy in Monster World and Gunstar Heroes.. mmm gaming goodness.
Old 09-11-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
The 2 games worth playing on CD were re-made for Playstation.

Actually the Sega CD had more than just Lunar. Snatcher for one is worth the price of the Sega CD add-on alone. Shining Force CD, by far the best versions of Ecco, Sonic CD, Vay, Dracula Unleashed, just to name a few. There is some fun stuff to get for the Sega CD if you can find one cheap.

However, if the focus is just playing original Genesis stuff and you doubt you would get add ons (personally the 32X was terrible and not worth considering) then getting a model 3 is fine. The nice thing about the model 3 is you can still find them brand new for $30 or $40.

If I had to recommend just one Genesis to get it would be the one I have and still use today. The Sega CDX. Its small and portable and plays Genesis and Sega CD games. Problem is it is hard to find and you will probably have to pay more than its worth. I was lucky and found mine five years ago in a pawn shop and paid only $30.

Last edited by darkside; 09-11-03 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-11-03, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by darkside
Actually the Sega CD had more than just Lunar. Snatcher for one is worth the price of the Sega CD add-on alone. Shining Force CD, by far the best versions of Ecco, Sonic CD, Vay, Dracula Unleashed, just to name a few. There is some fun stuff to get for the Sega CD if you can find one cheap.

However, if the focus is just playing original Genesis stuff and you doubt you would get add ons (personally the 32X was terrible and not worth considering) then getting a model 3 is fine. The nice thing about the model 3 is you can still find them brand new for $30 or $40.

If I had to recommend just one Genesis to get it would be the one I have and still use today. The Sega CDX. Its small and portable and plays Genesis and Sega CD games. Problem is it is hard to find and you will probably have to pay more than its worth. I was lucky and found mine five years ago in a pawn shop and paid only $30.

I wish Konami would re-release Snatcher and bring Policenauts to the states.
Old 09-11-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.. that's cool. I never knew that exsisted. I knew about the X-Eye, the Genesis/CD combo unit.
Old 09-11-03, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Mmm...Night Trap...

Go with the 3. If you HAVE to have the CD/32X, and you buy it used, it will most likley come with another Sega anyway, atleast if you choose not to get it, you will still have a cooler and smaller system (and it comes with a really nice 6 button controller to boot)
Old 09-11-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man those CDX's go for like $100+ on Ebay.