Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

has anybody played ESPN NHL Hockey yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anybody played ESPN NHL Hockey yet?

I am really looking for a review/comparison between that and NHL 2004. I know NHL isn't out yet but I thought maybe somebody could direct me to, or give me, some reviews/comparisons. I want to get a hockey game, and am toying with the idea of getting ESPN because it was released, but I am not sure yet. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 09-09-03, 09:52 PM

i'm interested in this too. does both espn nhl and easports nhl have online play? that's the deal breaker for me.
Old 09-09-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by rockerboy
i'm interested in this too. does both espn nhl and easports nhl have online play? that's the deal breaker for me.
Apparently ESPN is online for the PS2 and the Xbox. Like all EA Sports games, NHL 2004 is online for the PS2 only. I don't know if they'll have five-on-five play like NBA Live 2004, though.
Old 09-09-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ign ps2 review
ign x-box review

ESPN NHL Hockey is the finest hockey video game we've ever played.
Old 09-10-03, 12:19 AM

Comparisons (based on every review seen so far):

* ESPN NHL 2k4: Stellar sim
* NHL 2004: Rugby on ice

Until Black Box gets a chance to largely build up NHL 200X as their own, original game (assuming the talent defection that formed Next Lexel, to continue working on the Hitz series, wasn't too devastating in the hockey area), for the next few years, it will be ESPN for sim hockey fans and Hitz for arcade hockey fans.

Again, EA's NHL game will sit in a very uncomfortable middle.
Old 09-10-03, 01:41 AM

i plan on getting nhl hitz pro too. I wish they would include the old school 3 on 3 version too. nhl hitz 2003 that was the funnest nhl game i've ever playes
Old 09-10-03, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts
EA's NHL series has always been number one, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 09-10-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just noticed.....ESPN hockey has Gary Thorne doing play by play.....this game might rock afterall.....

Looks like NHL 2004 is going to have a better franchise mode, but damn ESPN looks good. I wish it was on the Cube this year
Old 09-10-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The EA NHL "wraparound" XXXX has never been a great game. It was always easy to pick up and play, but as soon as NHL 2k cma out, ockey fans knew that if they wanted a more realistic hockey sim, sega's game was the one to beat. Four years later and it's the same thing. If I want to play a great game of hockey I pick up Sega, if i want to win games 15-1 on All-Pro I play EA.
Old 09-10-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Sega's hockey game, in fact, it is the ONLY hockey game (2k3) where I have played all 80+ games and playoffs (I won the Stanley Cup with Boston Bruins yesterday!). It is an awesome game b/c I never got tired of it after playing almost 100 games! I can't wait to see what they do this year and get into the Franchise mode alittle more.
Old 09-10-03, 09:39 AM

I can't compare between different titles, but I had NHL2K3 and just got the new oxm demo of espn nhl. The difference is dramatic enough that I'm going to buy it. The graphics are hugely improved and it just seemed to play smoother. 2k3 was great and the new one seems much improved.
Old 09-10-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ESPN NHL hockey has the greatest controls in the history of sports gaming. You can DO EVERYTHING. The game is incredibly smooth, and is the best hockey game of all time.
Old 09-10-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have never played the 2k series before so I have no idea
Old 09-10-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought 2K3 kinda sucked, so hopefully this year it will be better. Hopefully the control is a bit better....I just never could get into last years game
Old 09-10-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it in stores today?
Old 09-10-03, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by shaggy
Is it in stores today?
Yes, in all the stores that typically get the games on the shelf one day after shipping (mainly your game-specific stores).

Best Buy's computers show a Friday arrival, so that's probably somewhat similar for Circuit City, ToysRUs, Walmart, etc.
Old 09-10-03, 03:59 PM

I will put another vote out there for ESPN NHL Hockey. I switched over to 2K3 from EA last year, and the difference is night and day. You can do EVERYTHING you should be able to in hockey - switch your offense and defensive lines independently, pin people to the boards, you name it and it's in there. The graphics left a bit to be desired, but the new OPM demo shows a lot of promise. Just remember that you will have to tweak the sliders a bit in order to find the right settings for your tastes.
Old 09-10-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think NHL 2004 lets you fight for the puck on the boards this year. How is ESPN's fighting? EA always made their fights look super unrealistic.
Old 09-10-03, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I think NHL 2004 lets you fight for the puck on the boards this year. How is ESPN's fighting? EA always made their fights look super unrealistic.
ESPN's fighting is lousy, thank goodness. Kush actually concentrated on improving the hockey in its hockey title.

Hopefully, it will always be last on their 'to-do' list every year.
Old 09-10-03, 07:46 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I just noticed.....ESPN hockey has Gary Thorne doing play by play.....this game might rock afterall.....
Are they going to make it realistic i.e. Thorne butchering everyone's name, calling 1 player a different player, calling a player someone else who isn't even on the team anymore, his knuyck knuyck piss poor jokes etc etc etc?

I hope they have a feature to turn the announcers off or this bitch will be on MUTE.

Effing moron Thorne.
Old 09-10-03, 11:11 PM

Wow the overwhelming support for ESPN is incredible! I expected it to be more even between NHL and ESPN. Well I am sold on getting ESPN! I think I will trade my Madden for it and pay the difference once payday gets here. What I liked the best out of everything I heard is that the games are actually realistic in ESPN. I know that every year I played NHL by EA, I would jump into the season immediately and lose the first couple games. After that however, I would win and just start crushing teams by like 14 goals. I always use the Flyers, and lets face it, they can barely score 4 goals a game so, as a stickler for accuracy in my sports games, it always kinda bugged me. Thanks for all the responses and reviews.
Old 09-11-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

EA's NHL series has always been number one, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I disagree. NHL2k3 OWNED on every system

And ESPN NHL 2K4 is FRICKEN SWEEEEET!

I'm blown away by the realism. The options. THE CLASSIC TEAMS YOU CAN UNLOCK! YES! SOMEONE FINALLY PUT CLASSIC TEAMS ON AN NHL GAME, NOT JUST JERSEYS! I can finally put the 92 Penguins against the 87 Oilers! WOO HOO!

I played the game for like 3 hours on my XBOX and on live and it's SMOOVE...

The goaltenders move so realistically...I was even able to bounce a shot off of Marc Denis back and into the goal while he looked around for it...

2k4 may be the best hockey game ever. EA lost it like 3 years ago...

and hitz is def. fun...but I'm all for a sim...
Old 09-11-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game is so good, its unbelievable, the new advanced controls are great. Using the triggers for slap shots and flip passes, allow you so much control. Also using the right stick for dekes is fantastic, i love flying down the wing, and throwing on the breaks, and then putting a flip pass on the tape of the guying charging up the middle. The al is also much improved, not only the defence, but your own players play their positions much better, no more 2 on 1s and the winger hangs out at the boards.
I can now play "real" hockey, dump and chase, cycling down low, and most importantly, you can pass back and forth with your D in the offensive zone and they stay on side.

The live play is so smooth and voice chat was like talking on the phone, at least so far, I have only played 3 games.

Just like ESPN football, there are a lot of extras, air hockey and mini rink are available right off the bat. Mini rink is 2 on 2 on a really mini rink, its a lot of fun, and its great you can play it online. I can see some major battles on this, once people get the hang up the different style of game play.

This is the best hockey game ever made, and i have played them all.
Old 09-11-03, 01:30 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by shaggy
Mini rink is 2 on 2 on a really mini rink, its a lot of fun, and its great you can play it online.
Heh, they have a place like that here in San Jose. 3 on 3 though, but the ice is so small. Run and gun games i.e. 10-8 etc.
Old 09-12-03, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you guys suck, making me wish I had an Xbox or PS2 so I an get this....Hell, I may go and buy an Xbox just to play it, lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.