Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any release news on anamorphic "Ladyhawke"?

Old 09-09-03, 07:05 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man...Michelle Pfeifer in that role looked sexier than H, it's a shame to still have for sale as a 2.35:1, Michelle is really gorgeous in that DVD.
Old 09-11-03, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I so, so, so, so wish...one of my favorite movies of all time, ever since seeing it opening weekend in theaters with my middle school band!
Old 09-11-03, 11:43 AM

Agreed. &nbsp I'd love to get an anamorphic release of Ladyhawke.
Old 09-11-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one of my top ten favorite movies of all time....beautifully filmed, great cast & story, and also an interesting use of electronic scoring for a period piece!
Old 09-11-03, 01:44 PM

It has had a wonderfull anamorphic transfer here in the UK its a very good transfer indeed, and a brillinat film too.
Old 09-11-03, 02:56 PM
Rest in Peace

Romerojpg

Originally posted by Romerojpg
It has had a wonderfull anamorphic transfer here in the UK its a very good transfer indeed, and a brillinat film too.
Old 09-11-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Oh no! Romerojpg is invading!

DVDude! (a.k.a. work4dvd)
Old 09-11-03, 03:05 PM
Rest in Peace

Romerojpg

I wouldn't buy one in Euros $34.95 plus shipping, UK studios and dealers grab all they can, I would rather buy a R4 a bit less because they don't use Euros(pounds sterling). They don't seem to in stock though, probaly due to there popularity.
Old 09-13-03, 02:57 AM

16 X 9 in Australia too....

It is available in Australia with 16 X 9 for about US$10 + postage....
Jeremy
Old 09-13-03, 06:11 AM
Rest in Peace

jezza

I buy Region 4 discs all the time could you give me the name of the URL, I usually buy off of EZYDVD but they want close to $35 for the film itself. I have a mod JVC XSV500BK all regions hard wired mod, that works only on PAL discs.

Buying 2.35:1 PAL discs I can have what a anamorphic view would have in height still in wide screen with black bars, to bring up the DVD without it looking stretched. TIA
Old 09-13-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Romerojpg

Originally posted by danol
I would rather buy a R4 a bit less because they don't use Euros(pounds sterling).
Pound are not the same as Euros. The UK does not use the Euro.
Old 09-13-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: jezza

I buy Region 4 discs all the time could you give me the name of the URL, I usually buy off of EZYDVD but they want close to $35 for the film itself.
I just checked EzyDVD and I show a price of $35--but in Australian dollars, including GST. Subtract the GST and convert to US dollars and it's about $21 or so. Shipping is extra, of course, but it shouldn't be more than $25 or so.

Or am I wrong?
Old 09-13-03, 06:02 PM
Rest in Peace

Re: Re: jezza

Originally posted by DVDude!
I just checked EzyDVD and I show a price of $35--but in Australian dollars, including GST. Subtract the GST and convert to US dollars and it's about $21 or so. Shipping is extra, of course, but it shouldn't be more than $25 or so.

Or am I wrong?

Using their Currency Converter it comes out to $23.16 plus $5.50 Postage, total $28.66, I had just received a single from them and $5.50 was the postage. This was the reason why I had it in my Region 4 wanted as a Gold Trader in our DVD exhange forum, I just love her face in that movie. Women would like Rutger Hauer from Blade Runner, both were much younger in this film. I seen John Wood from "The Body" how old he looked, than when he played the Bishop of Aquala whom had lusted after our heroine.
Old 09-13-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
I did a search for the anamorphic version of LADYHAWKE.
My dvd is 121 minutes and is 2.35:1 16:9 enhanced and also the [shudder] pan & scan version.

The R2 & R4 versions are 16:9 but only 116 or 118 minutes.

Their cover art is much better than R1
Old 09-13-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a search for the anamorphic version of LADYHAWKE.
My dvd is 121 minutes and is 2.35:1 16:9 enhanced and also the [shudder] pan & scan version.

The R2 & R4 versions are 16:9 but only 116 or 118 minutes.
Eight words: PAL speedup.
Old 09-13-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: jezza

Using their Currency Converter it comes out to $23.16 plus $5.50 Postage, total $28.66, I had just received a single from them and $5.50 was the postage. This was the reason why I had it in my Region 4 wanted as a Gold Trader in our DVD exhange forum.
Okay. Not trying to step on your toes, danol, but I'm curious myself. I just checked again. Here's what I got when I put it in my cart:
<TT>
  Selected Items Sub-Total: $AU34.95 (inc GST)
  International Customers: $AU31.77
  (International Price - GST FREE)

</TT>
According to the site, shipping for international customers is $AU5.50 (from the shipping page). So:

<TT>
  $AU31.77 (price for Ladyhawke--GST free)
+ $AU 5.50
  --------
  $AU37.27 = $US24.74
</TT>

The $US24.74 is from using the EzyDVD Currency Converter. Using xe.com, $AU37.27 = $US24.59.

Still not cheap, but a few dollars cheaper than the $28.66 you arrived at. I think your error is because you're converting the initial amount without first removing the GST. Then you're adding $5.50 in US dollars for shipping when it should be AU dollars. (Unless they really did charge you $5.00 in US dollars for shipping when you received a single DVD? Are you sure? Because that's not what they claim on their shipping page.)

Anyone care to confirm my or danol's figures as correct? Thanks.
Old 09-13-03, 10:58 PM
Rest in Peace

Dude

What does GST stand for General Sales Tax or ? Yes I agree with those figures as being correct. She sure has my heart, soul and body on fire in that film. The only thing that will not go is when I put my LBX, in my for trade list, I will be ordering LadyHawke because of the great partipation so far, from members who are treating me as a equal and I thank you for it.
Old 09-14-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've wondered what GST stands for too, danol. Since you asked, I was finally moved to find out.

"GST" means Goods and Services Tax. GST is a tax on domestic consumption. It is charged on any supply of goods or services made or distributed in a particular region. However, if the goods are being exported outside of the region (e.g. Australia to the United States), GST is neither collected from the consumer nor is the retailer responsible for paying the GST; i.e. it is GST-free.

Based on the calculations from EzyDVD's prices, I guess the GST for Australia is 10%. It may or may not be different for other regions.

Well, now we know.
Old 09-14-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The R4 is about $AU5 cheaper here than EzyDVD (shipping is the same):

http://www.familyboxoffice.com.au/movie.asp?ID=7146

I've always bought from EzyDVD myself so I can't vouch for them.
Old 09-14-03, 10:56 AM
Rest in Peace

movielib & All

I had to get thru a lot of typing to be registered and my foreign credit card verified, but the price entered in as USA is to be kept on my account. I ordered "LadyHawke" my price will be $17.45 plus $5.50 postage on one disc, total=$22.95.

Anamorphic 2.35:1 with old 4.0 Dolby Surround, really nice looking cover art on DVD keepcase pictured on website, thanks to all for intelligent post (with no danol dumpster crap). BTW I called my CC company to tell them I have purchased another DVD from Australia and the companys name for it go thru much quicker.

P.S. One thing for you new to Credit Cards, pay your full amount
every month the 'day' you get your statement. I have made this a practice since I applied for a CC card in June of 1965, no 'interest' or 'late' charges have been on my CC EVER!

Last edited by danol; 09-14-03 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-14-03, 07:24 PM
Rest in Peace

movielib

I just got the confirmation that my CC went right thru and they are processing my Ladyhawke, woohoo LadyHawke my 'Isobol' in anamorphic W/S with 4.0 Dolby Surround.
Old 09-14-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: movielib & All

thanks to all for intelligent post (with no danol dumpster crap).
[off-topic]
Since you mentioned it, danol: I'm the proud new owner of about 70 nice Amaray-style cases thanks to you. Time to start replacing my snappers one of these days.
[/off-topic]
Old 09-14-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got the confirmation that my CC went right thru and they are processing my Ladyhawke, woohoo LadyHawke my 'Isobol' in anamorphic W/S with 4.0 Dolby Surround.
It appears it's Dolby Digital 4.1, even better. Enjoy your Isabeau.

I love this movie too.
Old 12-06-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The price has been drastically reduced at EzyDVD. It now can be had in the U.S. for $14.06 shipped.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/220783
Old 12-06-03, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by darmok
one of my top ten favorite movies of all time....beautifully filmed, great cast & story, and also an interesting use of electronic scoring for a period piece!
The thing that makes Ladyhawke too painful for me to watch is the cheesy music. Whenever Rutger Hauer is in the middle of a sword fight and the action on-screen is grim and intense the music is this super cheesy, generic sounding heroic theme ( ala Superman: da- da-da ! ). This film would have stood the test of trime better with an orchestral score.

Could you imagine Conan The Barbarian if DeLaurentis had gotten his way and used a pop music score ?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.