Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why Why Are We C*%^&ring The Internet?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why Why Are We C*%^&ring The Internet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Why Are We Censoring The Internet?

Why do people always like to censor things on internet forums? It seems like every forum that is even halfway decently populated has it's own group that want to strike down what others say.

Especially in America, where every human is supposed to have the right to free speech (first, therefore, most important amendment), I am constantly amazed how Americans are the first to whip out the black magic marker and erase others opinions.

I, myself, can't imagine finding someone else's opinion even remotely offending enough to want to strike it off some forum. But I guess, I'm too tolerant. I should become like everyone else and get out my Sharpie.

What ever happened to free speech?
Old 09-09-03, 03:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Free speech doesn't apply to private Internet forums (such as DVDTalk).
Old 09-09-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't think it would be funny if the word "shifrbv" got censored just like ******* did.

I really don't.
Old 09-09-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this is a private forum. they don't squash opinions (in most cases). However, crapping in another thread is bad. If you want to discuss something, start your own thread
Old 09-09-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do the owners and operators of the forum have the right to decide what gets said in their forum? Of course.

People are always allowed to start their own forum to say whatever they want to say. That's what free speech is all about.
Old 09-09-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paging Class316.. Paging Class316..
Old 09-09-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Why Why Are We Censoring The Internet?

Originally posted by shifrbv
Spoiler:
Why do people always like to censor things on internet forums? It seems like every forum that is even halfway decently populated has it's own group that want to strike down what others say.

Especially in America, where every human is supposed to have the right to free speech (first, therefore, most important amendment), I am constantly amazed how Americans are the first to whip out the black magic marker and erase others opinions.

I, myself, can't imagine finding someone else's opinion even remotely offending enough to want to strike it off some forum. But I guess, I'm too tolerant. I should become like everyone else and get out my Sharpie.

What ever happened to free speech?
*shrugs*
Old 09-09-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*****!
Old 09-09-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what you're saying is, you're not happy that you could have started your own thread on your new subject or you could have posted in a debate thread, but that is not good enough for you. Instead you want your political agenda to be forced down people's throats in a thread where it is not closely on topic and meant as a rememberance.

What you are saying is, you want this forum to exist for you and you don't care what others want? Sorry, we're a community.

It is the moderating out of things like your political agenda in a 9/11/01 rememberance thread that make this forum so great. Oh yeah, another thing that makes it great is that most of the members know how to behave within a society and are willing to not be completely selfish and singleminded.

*Moving to Feedback Forum*

Last edited by Bushdog; 09-09-03 at 03:26 PM.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
A point to ponder: If free speech were really so important to the founding fathers, why not make it a part of the Constitution body instead of an amendment of it?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVDTalk has been taken over by the Federal gov??????
Old 09-09-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Plus, it's long been known that this forum exists for Groucho and dork's charades of love.
Old 09-09-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

. . . But I guess, I'm too tolerant.
So I guess tolerant means you start a whine thread after your out of place post was removed, instead of perhaps starting a new thread with your missive about the horrors of life in Iraq?

You have an outlet, I think you're just upset that you couldn't hurt the people who choose to remember 9/11/01.
Old 09-09-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by weargle
A point to ponder: If free speech were really so important to the founding fathers, why not make it a part of the Constitution body instead of an amendment of it?
they didn't think they should outline all our freedoms since thats not possible. they settled for the 10 th ammendment...it has since been trashed
Old 09-09-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wiat, you werent' the one complaining about a personal attack and now complaining about free speech...right?
Old 09-09-03, 03:26 PM
Banned

So I guess tolerant means you start a whine thread after your out of place post was removed, instead of perhaps starting a new thread with your missive about the horrors of life in Iraq?
I'm just curious why it botheres people so much. I see all types of opinions on this forum that I definitely don't agree with, but I don't go spouting off to the mods to do something about it.

I, unlike others, can just pass over what I don't believe in and leave it at that. I have my own mind, after all.

If I had to agree or get everything censored that I didn't like in this forum over the few years I've been here, I would have never lasted such a long time.

But others, it looks like, can't do that. They have to go spouting off everytime someone utters something that's contrary to what they believe in.

That other thread didn't say tribute, and since sfsdfd posted the same way I did and I know he's not an idiot, I felt there was no foul there. Yet, we all had to be censored.

I guess I forgot the rules. In a privately-owned place in America, there are no freedoms outside of what the owners will allow.
Old 09-09-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

you still don't understand?

if you want to say something, start your own thread. why do you feel the need to crap in someone elses?
Old 09-09-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, let's put all the words behind us that we've said.

There was a thread reminiscing about our personal experiences around 9/11/01. Was your post about a personal experience around 9/11/01?

I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Bush supporter. I think your points are ones we have to wrestle with (though I think you're romaticizing life during the Hussein regime). But it had no place in that thread.

And why I care? And why others like me care? Because this isn't about a ****ing debate or smugly battling points. This is our ****ing lives. For some of us, what happened at the twin towers wasn't a national tragedy, it was a local one, a community one. We were discussing it when you injected your point.
Old 09-09-03, 03:31 PM

In a privately-owned place in America, there are no freedoms outside of what the owners will allow.
That's exactly right. For the same reasons, I cannot go into your home and poop in your living room.
Old 09-09-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
That's exactly right. For the same reasons, I cannot go into your home and poop in your living room.
man groucho. i busted out laughing at that
Old 09-09-03, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bushdog
Ok, let's put all the words behind us that we've said.

There was a thread reminiscing about our personal experiences around 9/11/01. Was your post about a personal experience around 9/11/01?
There was also a post in that thread by MrMarketng that stated "Definitely a different world we live in today. Amazing what change two years can bring."

That's what I was more or less responding to. How many people lives have been affected by that event. Not just Americans. I should have used that quote because he wasn't talking about that day either, but rather, what's happened since. But since he didn't say anything that could be considered "offensive" or "inflammatory", his post still stands whereas anyone else's along that same vein was deleted.

As far as having the freedom to conduct your own little fascist feifdom just because you own something, doesn't make it right.

I would never restrict speech (unless it was of an illegal nature) on my forum. I would consider that distinctly unAmerican.

Last edited by shifrbv; 09-09-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-09-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'm just curious why it botheres people so much. I see all types of opinions on this forum that I definitely don't agree with, but I don't go spouting off to the mods to do something about it.

I, unlike others, can just pass over what I don't believe in and leave it at that. I have my own mind, after all.

If I had to agree or get everything censored that I didn't like in this forum over the few years I've been here, I would have never lasted such a long time.

But others, it looks like, can't do that. They have to go spouting off everytime someone utters something that's contrary to what they believe in.

That other thread didn't say tribute, and since sfsdfd posted the same way I did and I know he's not an idiot, I felt there was no foul there. Yet, we all had to be censored.

I guess I forgot the rules. In a privately-owned place in America, there are no freedoms outside of what the owners will allow.
It's called "not being a tool."

You have the right to say whatever you want. But don't be surprised when people don't want to listen.

And you weren't banned for it. Just start your own thread.
Old 09-09-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Who ever claimed this site was based in america? Sorry mate, we are located somewhere free speech has no worth.

Not unless you come with an insert...
Old 09-09-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was also a post in that thread by MrMarketng that stated "Definitely a different world we live in today. Amazing what change two years can bring."

That's what I was more or less responding to. How many people lives have been affected by that event. Not just Americans. I should have used that quote because he wasn't talking about that day either, but rather, what's happened since.
does it matter that you were responding to his post? was that the original purpose of the thread? can't you just get over it and start your own thread if you want?
Old 09-09-03, 03:40 PM

The point is, we all have our differences with the moderators. We may not always agree with their decisions, especially when our posts are a target. HOWEVER, it has NOTHING to do with "censorship" or "free speech."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.