Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Twins Effect --- dvd problems

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-09-03, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought "The Twins Effect" starring Charlene Choi, Gillian Chung, Ekin Cheng and a cameo by Jackie Chan. and i've read problems arising concerning the dvd which seem to have stated the same problem i've had when i played it on the ps2. apparently, it stops in the middle of the movie (where Charlene's character, Helen, comes to Kazaf's (Edison Chen) home.

my player at home, was fortunate enough to not have those problem however, for my player, it jumps to the main menu on the big finale fight. is anyone else having the same problems?
Old 09-09-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
dammit... I just bought this too.
Old 09-09-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this one was delayed from its original release date because they found problems with the DVDs before they hit the stores? They delayed the original release so they could release a fixed version, so I've read.

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like those bad DVDs are being shipped anyway...

Jeremy
Old 09-09-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
probably just to americans... bleh
Old 09-09-03, 02:09 PM

Has anyone seen this movie? Is it worth the ducats?
Old 09-09-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is definately not worth it zerotl, from the trailers and the pedigree of the people involved I was expecting something along the lines of Blade and I got an asian Buffy instead ( and I mean the movie).
Old 09-09-03, 09:15 PM

The Twins definitely add some cheese to it all, but there's some killer action sequences. The 10-minute opening, with loads of kinetic action, a melodramatic score and a cool weapon gimmick, is worth the price of admission for me. I'm constantly showing it to friends. And for fans of HK cinema, there are cameos all over the place. For under $15, I can't see any HK fan being too disappointed as long as you can put up with the Twins (who have a really dorky fight scene together).
Old 09-09-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The grade B acting by the vampires was too cheesy for me, and Chan's mugging was too over the top for me, the fight between Ekin Cheng and the vampire in what looks like a courtyard was the best fight but these twins were so annoying with the screaming every 2 seconds.
Old 09-10-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm always a big believer in box office numbers in determining whether to watch a movie or not, despite the many fallacies in this line of thinking. Twins Effect is currently the #1 BO film out of Hong Kong this year, so as such I think it's worth a watch. I would also say that you will enjoy this movie much more if you think in terms of Buffy The Vampire Slayer rather than some great action or scary movie.
Old 09-10-03, 02:50 PM

And I love Buffy! Heck if it stinks I'll be eBaying it. It's dts too right? Did anyone see 2002? I kinda dug that.
Old 09-10-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zerotl
And I love Buffy! Heck if it stinks I'll be eBaying it. It's dts too right? Did anyone see 2002? I kinda dug that.
Thanks for the recommendation on 2002. It's gotten pretty good reviews. It's on my buy list. (And I love Buffy too.)
Old 09-10-03, 06:09 PM

i'll probably grab a pirate copy.
i'd crack up if the pirate copy works better than my legit copy.
Old 09-10-03, 06:27 PM

Got my copy yesterday. Had problems playing in my Sony DVP-K800D player. It was unable to play when Helen and Gypsy was talking and Gypsy was ironing. Also had problems at the finale fight.

However, it played OK on my laptop's DVD Teac DW-224E.

As for the movie itself, it has some nice action scenes, particuarly at the beginning. The end fight though is not as good, the Twins are just not cut out to be action heriones. Overall though I enjoyed it enough.
Old 09-11-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Asian DVD Guide thread on the movie. Mostly positive (as far as the movie itself goes).

http://pub127.ezboard.com/fhongkongd...cID=2679.topic
Old 09-11-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you clarify which version of the movie you're talking about? And also at which times in the movie the problems occurred (hours, minutes, seconds)?

I just got Universe's 2-disc DTS version with the silver, reflective cover, and I was looking to playing it this weekend. I hope everything is okay...
Old 09-12-03, 02:17 AM

n

Probably a bad disc only. Universe has the worst replication facilities, second only to those used bootleggers. Other than that, the PS2 is the problem, or a junky player...(RCA by chance?).
Old 09-12-03, 02:45 PM

Re: n

Originally posted by Furious
Probably a bad disc only. Universe has the worst replication facilities, second only to those used bootleggers. Other than that, the PS2 is the problem, or a junky player...(RCA by chance?).
holy crap.....how'd u know i have an RCA?
Old 09-12-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine played okay. There were a couple of iffy moments towards the end of the movie, during the final battle, but it made it through. I quite enjoyed the film, BTW.
Old 09-13-03, 08:37 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My disc played through perfectly not a problem. I am using a Malata. I agree the Twins were annoying as heck with all that screaming crap someone needs to shut them up. The best thing about the movie was the Jackie Chan cameos, other than that it was a ok flick.
Old 09-14-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I got the The Twins Effect (Limited Edition 2-Disc Set) too. I had some problems such as locking up (between 49 to 50 minutes in the movie), skipping on the ending fight scene. I tried this over and over and I still got the same problem.

I know this might be risky or stupid, but I boiled my dvd in hot water for 30 seconds, let it cool and dried it. I replayed the problem scenes (the lockup on 49-50 minutes) and it seems to work fine. The scenes at the end of the movie played fine without skipping. I am not sure if boiling the dvd in hot water helped, but it works fine for me.

I am using a Toshiba SD-3900 dvd player.
Old 09-14-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow I guess I don't read DVD forums enough. Boiling DVDs, eh? Well, if Charles Goodyear invented rubber by accident, maybe you can stumble upon something remarkable too!

Maybe if I boiled my Legend of Zu DVD, the movie might turn out better?
Old 09-14-03, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Match
I got the The Twins Effect (Limited Edition 2-Disc Set) too. I had some problems such as locking up (between 49 to 50 minutes in the movie), skipping on the ending fight scene. I tried this over and over and I still got the same problem.

I know this might be risky or stupid, but I boiled my dvd in hot water for 30 seconds, let it cool and dried it. I replayed the problem scenes (the lockup on 49-50 minutes) and it seems to work fine. The scenes at the end of the movie played fine without skipping. I am not sure if boiling the dvd in hot water helped, but it works fine for me.

I am using a Toshiba SD-3900 dvd player.
that is just crazy!
I know I won't be trying that, science knows the result of that
geez I wouldn't even wash my dvds in cold water
Old 09-30-03, 03:27 PM

can anyone confirm if the new shipment of "The Twins Effect" doesn't have the problems which the first batch had?
Old 09-30-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by motlking
that is just crazy!
I know I won't be trying that, science knows the result of that
geez I wouldn't even wash my dvds in cold water
Science proves it works. But, I'd try it as a last resort. If YellowHammer boils Legend of Zu... it might become watchable. IF YOU TURN YOUR SCREEN OFF!
Old 10-04-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Received my disc from CDwow yesterday.

The disc 1 starts to skip every 3 secs during the scene where the twins fight each other (@ 26.14). Then it skips all of chapter five and finally resumes playback on chapter 6.

Went ahead and requested a replacement from CDwow.

-Also, does that "boiling" thing really work?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.