Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

EW Fall TV Preview Issue: Best New Shows

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EW Fall TV Preview Issue: Best New Shows

Anyone else read this issue cover to cover to figure out what new shows to watch?

Entertainment Weekly picked the 2 best new shows this fall:

Best New Drama - Miss Match (NBC)
Best New Comedy - Arrested Development (FOX)

I was already going to watch Miss Match (as I love Alicia Silverstone and Ryan O'Neal). But when I had read the summary of Arrested Development a few months back I hadn't batted an eye. However, EW's glowing assessment makes it sound like it might be something truly different/special. (It spent the whole article basically saying it's too unique and will probably be cancelled.)

I was surprised they did not do a bigger write-up on Karen Sisco, which is another new show I've already been excited about about.
Old 09-07-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The ads for Arrested Development remind me of Curb Your Enthusiasm.. I think it's just the way it's shot, but who knows.

It's FOX, it's doomed.
Old 09-07-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG, it's going to be a rough fall, but I think I'll have all 3 of my ReplayTVs going every night of the week except for Saturdays.

I just hope 120 hours each of recording time is going to hold me for 2 weeks of shows (in case I get behind in my viewing).

First new show will be Enterprise this coming Wednesday.
Old 09-07-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am so nerdy I just charted my fallshows on a spreadsheet. I actually have 2 openings: Monday at 8 and Tuesday at 10. And nothing on Saturday nights (although I usually grab Trading Spaces then.)

Not counting cable shows, my returning network shows total 16 hours/week. I am planning on adding at least 4 hours worth of new shows, plus I have another 6 hours worth of new shows I still haven't decided to watch or not (maybe I'll sample the pilot.)

Thankfully one of my 3 DirecTivos is in my basement exercise room. I'll grab many of the shows my husband does not watch down there and I can get a workout in while I watch. An hour show minus commercials makes a great 45 minute workout on my elliptical trainer.
Old 09-07-03, 10:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Arrested Development looks very promising!

I'm not so sure about Miss Match though.
Old 09-08-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: EW Fall TV Preview Issue: Best New Shows

Originally posted by Jadzia
Anyone else read this issue cover to cover to figure out what new shows to watch?

Entertainment Weekly picked the 2 best new shows this fall:

Best New Drama - Miss Match (NBC)
Best New Comedy - Arrested Development (FOX)

I was already going to watch Miss Match (as I love Alicia Silverstone and Ryan O'Neal). But when I had read the summary of Arrested Development a few months back I hadn't batted an eye. However, EW's glowing assessment makes it sound like it might be something truly different/special. (It spent the whole article basically saying it's too unique and will probably be cancelled.)

Leslie Moonves, the head guy at CBS Television, was on a panel talking about minorities in television (totally unrelated to this topic). During the Q&A however, when asked what is the one show from any of the other networks he wished he could have on his schedule, he replied after defending his schedule that he would have liked arrested development. He wasn't sure though where it would fit in CBS's schedule but thought it was a strong family comedy that would compliment Fox's Malcolm. This show should survive because of the demos and the leadout of Malcolm

Last edited by chowderhead; 09-08-03 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-08-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrested Development is good. I almost thought the pilot was for HBO or Showtime before I found out it was network tv. Miss Match is crap, but women will probably love it.
Old 09-08-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

for those interested in reading...drudge has a link to a pretty bad review of whoopi. linky:http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news...&w=RTR&coview=
Old 09-08-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoopi--the one show that is absolutely GUARANTEED to fail. IMO there aren't too many great new tv shows coming out this fall. Karen Sisco looks good, as does Tru Calling. I will give Miss Match a look becaue I like Alicia Silverston but I'm not expecting much. A great issue of EW, though--very informative if you are interested in the new fall shows.
Old 09-08-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have seen a number of the pilots, and Whoopi by far is the worst.

When one of the punchlines that NBC actually are airing as a teaser for this show is "Yo mamma", you just know that this is horrible.
Old 09-08-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Arrested Development was already on my radar when I read about it during the lineup announcements.
Old 09-08-03, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's the concept behind "Arrested Development"? I've never heard of it.

"Miss Match" is a drama? Looks like a comedy to me. A few years ago, Silverstone wouldn't touch television with a 10 foot pole...now it's the only work she can get. Anyway, sounds like "The Wedding Planner" meets "Ally McBeal." PASS.
Old 09-08-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the pilot of Miss Match. Pretty light and fluffy, it will probably appeal to those of us who like Ed as well. I don't know how they are going to keep the show from growing stale, since there are only so many things that you can do with the match maker genre.
Old 09-08-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather than start another thread, here are TVGuide's picks for best new shows (and the list is longer)

The Lyon's Den
Arrested Development
Skin
Las Vegas
Two and a Half Men
Karen Sisco
A Minute with Stan Hooper
Jake 2.0 *
Steve Harvey's Big Time
Miss Match
Joan of Arcadia
The Handler

*I've seen the Jake pilot and will classify as a "guilty pleasure". It's in a very tough timeslot though.
Old 09-08-03, 03:45 PM

I love schedulers...

Two of the most promsing new dramas, LAS VEGAS and SKIN are not only scheduled opposite each other, but opposite MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL.

Meanwhile, Elisha Dushku's new show, TRU CALLING is up against Friends and Survivor.

This, my friends is why there's nothing good on TV...because all the good shows hardly ever get a chance to find an audience.
Old 09-08-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patman - you're still wasting time on Enterprise??? Dude, I thought you were smart.

Hiya Jadzia!!!!! Carnivale is what I'm really looking forward to.
Old 09-08-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm an optimistic in some things. But remember, I did give up on Voyager after half a season, so something must be going right with Enterprise.

I'm going to start a new thread on the shows I'll be checking out and watching on a regular basis.
Old 09-08-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I'm looking forward to that thread. Providing of course, I don't going MIA again.