"A Boy and His Dog" re-release?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"A Boy and His Dog" re-release?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...97&promotion=y
http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...roductid=35719

I haven't heard anything about this, but both of these sites seems to think they'll be getting a fresh shipment of "A Boy and His Dog" on November 18th. I even did a search at IMDb to see if it's possible that this is actually another movie by the same name and DDD and DVD Planet were just confused, but although 5 hits came up, 3 of them were shorts and the other was still in production so there's only one current feature film with that title.

Anyway, I've wanted this movie ever since I was a kid and I saw the mushroom cloud with the smily face on it on the cover of a laserdisc, and was really disapointed when I finally decided to start looking for it on DVD about a year and half ago, only to find that it was already OOP. So I'm definately ordering this.
Old 09-07-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, First Run Features is re-releasing the version starring Don Johnson (with commentary).

Deep Discount DVD is shipping it for $14.36
Old 09-07-03, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by mcarver
Yes, First Run Features is re-releasing the version starring Don Johnson (with commentary).

Deep Discount DVD is shipping it for $14.36
Wow - this slipped by me. Is this the same commentary as the old Slingshot release? Any sort of A/V improvement?
Old 09-07-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never heard of First Run Features. Is their work generally any good? Would you say they compare to Anchor Bay... or something worse?
Old 09-07-03, 04:20 PM

Yeessssssss!!!

This is one of 85 titles on my list of movies not available on DVD that I badly want to own. I can now gleefully scratch off yet another one.

This news and the announcement of a new "Mystery Science Theater 3000" Collection have really been the highlights of the past month for me.
Old 09-08-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarnower
This is one of 85 titles on my list of movies not available on DVD that I badly want to own. I can now gleefully scratch off yet another one.
You should post that. I'd like to see it and I think a few other people would, too.
Old 09-08-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I might've missed it. Best job of adapting a Harlon Ellison story into a movie ever (not that are that many, anyway).

My wife, on the other hand, absolutely detests this movie.

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-08-03 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-03, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Ginwen
Thanks for posting this, I might've missed it. Best job of adapting a Harlon Ellison story into a movie ever (not that are that many, anyway).

My wife, on the other hand, absolutely detests this movie.
Actually, THE TERMINATOR was a pretty good adaptation of Ellison's "Soldier"...but don't get me (or Harlan) started!

Spoiler:
For those not in the know, Harlan sued James Cameron for stealing his story...and that's why every copy of THE TERMINATOR now has "Acknowlegement to the works of Harlan Ellison" over the end credits.
Old 09-08-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. OK, that one is better as a movie, but I still like Boy and His Dog quite a lot.

Actually, I'd enjoy hearing him talk about it--he gets so riled up about everything, it would be really entertaining.
Old 09-08-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the titles I have seen (or own), they are not quite up to Anchor Bay's usual transfer quality, but not bad. They have some pretty interesting titles, though not your usual fare.

Originally posted by Easy
I never heard of First Run Features. Is their work generally any good? Would you say they compare to Anchor Bay... or something worse?
Old 09-08-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds like the season of the cult film releases-first news of Lord Love A Duck coming out in December, Space Is The Place in November, and now this! Fantastic!
Old 09-08-03, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Ginwen
Actually, I'd enjoy hearing him talk about it--he gets so riled up about everything, it would be really entertaining.
Never saw the movie but I loved the story. A Harlan Ellison commentary track would certainly pack a punch. There was a Sci-Fi book show on Canadian TV a few years ago called PRISONERS OF GRAVITY and Ellison was a regular fixture. The guy is full of piss and vinegar, to put it bluntly, and I love his books because of it. But I digress. Anyway, here's looking forward to the DVD.