Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dish Network DVR, is it cool?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dish Network DVR, is it cool?

I seem to live in a very ANTI-DirecTV neighborhood... you go to the website and it refers you to a local service or something (NOBODY in town sells directv, even walmart) I dunno, there is plenty of Dish Network around though.

We can get a free Dish Network thingie with DVR, is it cool? Big thing is getting landlord to approve... is that difficult to do??
Old 09-06-03, 10:57 PM

The Dish DVR is nothing compared to the DirecTivos. I don't even think it has dual tuners, though I could be wrong. You really don't want to buy from Wal-Mart anyways. I just got a Hughes HDVR2 online for $100, Best Buy wants triple that.
Old 09-06-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few things:

1) You don't need a local shop to get DirecTV, you can order from the website and they'll arrange the installation, from wherever they need to, so don't worry about that.

2) You can get Tivo with DirecTV, which is the most super primo ultra spectacular DVR ever.

3) Dish DVRs are notoriously buggy and generally considered poor imitations of Tivo.

4) Are you in an apartment? If you can get a line-of-sight to the satellite from your balcony or patio, there is nothing the landlord can do to stop you from installing a dish (as long as you don't mount it to any permanent structure like the wall or railing). They may try to tell you they have the right, but legally they don't.
Old 09-06-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmm, this sounds cool, perhaps I should give DirecTV a closer look then
Old 09-06-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this is what i get when i go to directv and put in my zip code

You live in an area where DIRECTV service is provided by a local provider. To obtain their name and contact information and receive information on purchasing equipment, please click on http://www.localprovider.org. If you are a current DIRECTV subscriber, you can also call the customer service phone number on your DIRECTV programming bill.

i called the people i found, on that number before, they told me go buy it at Best Buy and they would install it.

I type in a different Zip, and I get the option to order directly from DirecTV, but with my own zipcode, I get stuck having to go through some other website and get a phone number.

Last edited by costanza187; 09-06-03 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-07-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my Dish DVR for a year now and it works great.
Old 09-07-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am satisfied with my Dish DVR so far for a month.

Brian_92gsr, DISH has a 2 tuner receiver.
Old 09-07-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dish has a 2tuner receiver which is the 721; it's nothing like the DirecTivo though. The DirecTivo offers you season pass options, better conflict resolution, upgradability at a much lower price (as low as $100) versus the $400 you'd have to pay for the 721. But as far as signal quality and availability of foreign programming, nothing beats Dish. The only reason to get DirecTV over Dish is the DirecTivo and NFL Sunday Ticket IMO.
Old 09-08-03, 11:08 AM

I chose Dish 721 over DirecTivo. Although it is talked about as buggy, I have had only one problem in the two months that I have used it ; and it was a 30 second fix.

DirecTivo looks good though for the low, upfront price.

Check out:
www.dbstalk.com

Everything you ever wanted to know and more.
Old 09-08-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've got a DishPVR 501 [leasing] and 508 [owned], for a total of about ten months. Whether or not the DishPVR models are the ones for you, is a decision for you to make--but DVR technology is about the coolest new affordable tech I've ever seen. I can't see myself going back to watching regular, plain old, when-it's-broadcast television.
The DirectTV TiVo options do offer more, but you pay a monthly fee for the use of the 'software' basically. That may or may not matter to you. When I signed up, there was no monthly fee for the PVR's, and that was one of many reasons I went with Dish. They are going to start having a fee on the PVR's, and with the software that's currently on the DishPVR's, I wouldn't pay a monthly fee.
The only problems I've had with the PVRs have been traced to weather [ie, a blackout while recording, so when power came back, the unit got 'confused' as to when to stop recording.]
Regarding the difference zip codes and installs: the various zips are probably in different contractor zones, so they may have to push installs out to third parties [which should be approved by them and locally based anyway.]
I definitely second the suggestion to hop over to dbstalk.com; it's an incredible satellite resource, that will give you a lot to think about re: Dish vs Direct, PVR vs TiVo, channel lineups, etc. And one guy over there has a link in his sig to the federal statute that says you can install a dish in an apartment or in spite of a HOA.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 09-08-03 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 12:06 PM
Cat

I had Dish for a year and switched to DirecTV 2 months ago. I got the DirecTivo unit and it is great. I have never used a Dish DVR so I really can't comment on it from personal experience, but features wise, the DirecTivo seems like the clear winner. Especially since Dish is planning on making you pay for their DVR service now, DirecTivo is even a better bargain. You pay $4.99 and that covers ALL the DirecTivos in the house. With Dish I think you pay $5.99 PER RECEIVER! For me, DirecTV was the best choice because the package w/ locals was cheaper and they are more flexible on being able to move around to different packages than Dish.

Cat
Old 09-08-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cat
I have never used a Dish DVR so I really can't comment on it from personal experience, but features wise, the DirecTivo seems like the clear winner.
I have used the Dish DVR and the DirecTiVo. The DirecTiVo is the clear winner.