Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Layoyo.com formerly DVDshelf Opinions???????

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-06-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.layoyo.com

Any have any good experiences with this place? Prices are cheaper than DDDHouse.com.
Old 09-07-03, 04:43 AM
Cool New Member

Just received an order from them. Well-packed and FAST shipping - ordered on Aug 26, shipped on Aug 29, arrived Sep 2 (would've been the 1st except for Labor Day.)

Unfortunately out of 20 DVDs I ordered, 5 of them were out of stock and were removed from my order without any sort of notification. Bit of a bummer, as I'd specifically waited for 2 of those titles to be available for order again on the site. Still, the shipping adjustment was very generous and I did order at the end of their recent sale.

I plan on making another order from them soon - have to get In the Line of Duty 3.
Old 09-07-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
they are pretty awesome. Prices aren't really always cheaper than DDDHouse when you factor in shipping and it also depends on what you get. You also have to maximize shipping costs with DVDshelf to get the stuff cheaper. I bought a few hundred DVDs from DDDHouse and I've always been satisfied. I haven't bought anything from them since they changed their website though. Can't go wrong with DVDshelf though.
Old 09-07-03, 09:22 AM

Experiences have been OK for me. Pricing is attractive. Fairly big choice.
Postage refunds are not on a per-item basis, they have a "range" method for calculating and refunding postage. Be sure to read their FAQ page for their refunds policy.
When ordering items marked "to order (3-4 days)", they might find that some items can't be procured in this time (or are even OOP) - they will then cancel without any further possibility of intervention or specifying a backup title (to maximize you shipping as pointed out by Trigger):
Q5: I have ordered 10 pcs items, why 2 pcs of items was cancelled in the same order ?

As the items are "Out of Stock" at that moment, in order not to delay the delivery time of the other item in the same order. It is better for us to cancel that item(s). We will refund the stock amount of that item(s) to you (including shipping charge). For more information, please read "Order Processing".
Otherwise, they are great ...
Old 09-07-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True - that's my big gripe with DVDShelf - they just don't ship part of your order if it's not ready... and that sucks. Especially when you really just wanted that one thing and ordered the other 4 things so you could maximize your shipping costs. I've been let down a few times cuz of that.
Old 09-08-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I echo what Trigger says. Layoyo is quite solid, customer service is decent, the owner Ricky is a really nice guy. You have to consider the bottom line pricing of total DVD cost + shipping. Shipping is quite a bit higher than say DDDHouse and you have to really order at their specified cutoffs in order to minimize your shipping cost per DVD. For example, for 10-20 DVDs they charge the same shipping rate, so it makes more sense to order 20 DVDs than 10 DVDs. Their cutoffs are 1 to 5, 6 to 10, 11-20, 20-30, etc.
Old 01-29-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wanna bump this. I'm about ready to place an order for some dvds:
Below dts
Rules of Engagement dts
Thirteen Days dts
We Were Soldiers dts

All for $37. Is the place legit? I did not select any vcds, and referenced with dvdcompare on who produced the titles, ie: Universe is the distributor for We Were Soldiers and layoyo referenced this as well. Would like some opinions if this seems like a good deal. I'm new to this different region thing and I'm surprised that some of these titles are cheap. Thanks
Mark
Old 01-29-04, 04:41 AM
Cool New Member

Earlier this month, my order was received in Alexandria, VA within 1/2 week from when they charged my credit card. 10 DVDs were packed in two cardboard boxes in a UPS mailer. Highly recommended!
Old 01-29-04, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never once gotten a bootleg from dvdshelf and I can't imagine they carry any. So as far as them being legit - I have to say "yes".

Lately I've been ordering pretty much solely from yesasia. Partly because they carry pretty much everything I look for and I order enough to benefit from the special prices, free DVDs and free shipping.
Old 01-29-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've ordered from Layoyo twice in the past month - except for one title being cancelled, everything went very smoothly, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Old 01-29-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm wating for a package from them anytime now as soon as the UPS guy comes. the gripe is the shipping, is a little pricier so you have to really used those number quotas to maximize, every dvd I've bought from them has been legit so I wouldn't expect any problems. the one thing that never really affected me but just did has been mentioned before and that is the cancelations. Out of 15 dvds i ordered, 5 were canceled which kinda sucks cause that was close to 40$ US and I wouldn't have minded waiting a little longer for one or two more to come through. I guess that they only hold that window of 3 to 4 days and after that it drops off. Just keep those in mind for next time, which is what just happened, some of the ones that were canceled before, i reordered at a later time and they had them this time, so is kind of a game of chance. I always work it so I get the carrier (UPS) service, has anyone used Air Mail with them? how's the turn around on that? thanks.
Old 01-29-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
I always work it so I get the carrier (UPS) service, has anyone used Air Mail with them? how's the turn around on that? thanks.
The air mail turnaround time took about 10 (business) days from my shipdate.

They were extremely helpful and responsive when I requested a modication to my order.

Highly recommended!!!!

*Be sure to maximize your shipping when placing an order!

Last edited by candyrocket786; 01-29-04 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone!