Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DUNE "Extended Edition" real or bootleg?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know about this DVD? This seller has several other items for sale that look a little fishy, I'm guessing it's a bootleg.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3345518710
Old 09-06-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$151?!? I hope the guy doesn't get paid for this bootleg.
Old 09-06-03, 04:49 PM

Thats crazy when you can buy it at Revok $35. These guys are for real I've bought Jorodowsky films there.

Here's the link to the David Lynch area.
Deleted link to bootleg seller - Static

This is the 3 hour version that had footage added for a TV run. David Lynch protested & had his name removed from this version.
Old 09-06-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Don't know about the one on eBay, but i'm willing to bet that one on Revok.com is a boot [not doubting the legitimacy of your Jorodowsky flicks jkcarter], but this is one of the things that make you go
2) Is Revok Film Prodigies illegal pirate operation?

We are definitely not a pirate operation. The section of American copyright law known as "The Berne Act" clearly states: films unreleased in the United States, including original version of films altered and/or edited for release in the United States, are not protected by American copyright; thus, they are considered public domain. The entire purpose of our company is to provide (otherwise unavailable) films to movie fans. We do not offer videos owned by American releasing companies. If a film should become available domestically we immediately stop offering it to our clients.
However, I like this one too:
3) How good are the copies?

At the end of each description is a quality out of 10 (10 = mint, 9 = excellent, 8 = very good, 7 = good, 6 = satisfactory, 5 = fair, and we dont sell anything that is "unwatchable".) For most of the films we offer we use the original out-of-print import laserdisc or pre-record (these are the ones rated 10/10). Some of the other videos, because of their rarity, coupled with unavoidable PAL or SeCAM transfer distortions, are less than perfect. However, we guarantee the best available in North America and that our quality estimates are precise or your money back! If you have a specific question about any title contact us!
Old 09-06-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That Revok place looks pretty shady, but maybe they are operating within the law. I really don't know too much about it.

On the otherhand, I ran a search of completed auctions by the person offering Dune and he has been making a killing selling what appears to be all region DVD-R rips of a bunch of Australian DVD releases, The Turning, Spellbinder, Going All the Way, Ali vs. Frazier and a few more. I can't believe ebay lets crooks like this operate! Isn't against ebay rules to sell DVD-Rs?
Old 09-07-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Tuco
I can't believe ebay lets crooks like this operate! Isn't against ebay rules to sell DVD-Rs?
So they say...but you can find a plethora of DVD9 Scarface's with dts along with such Disney classics like Cinderella or Bambi on DVD..

See, but that's the thing...it doesn't bother me as much if they're booting something that's not readily available [Dune EE, f'rinstance], but when I see boots for Beverly Hills Cop or Lethal Weapon...that's just sad.
Old 09-07-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The section of American copyright law known as "The Berne Act" clearly states: films unreleased in the United States, including original version of films altered and/or edited for release in the United States, are not protected by American copyright; thus, they are considered public domain.
Statements don't get any more false than this one.

1. There is no American law called "The Berne Act." There is an international treaty that the US has entered into that is referred to as the Berne Convention. But in the US, treaties are not law. Treaties do not bind the actions of citizens, they bind the actions of governments. Even if the Berne Convention stated what Revok claims it does, it would be irrelevant to US citizens unless Congress had passed a law enacting it.

2. The Berne Convention says no such thing, anyway. The US certainly does grant copyright protection to films (and any other works) not released in the US. A work does not have to ever actually be released to get copyright protection under US law. Imagine if they weren't protected: multinational corporations would hurry to quickly release foreign films on their own in the US before the foreign film studio had a chance to do so themselves. This would be absurd. This includes alternate versions of films, too, of course. The extended TV cut of Dune (besides having been "released" on TV in the US, anyway) is most certainly under copyright protection in the US, and it will remain so until the end of its term (presumably 95 years from its original airdate) even if it is never officially released on home video.

Revok are long-standing bootleg dealers, and their attempted legalese doesn't stand up to even basic logic. The only thing "for real" about Revok is that they sell "real" bootlegs and their explanation of the law is "real" bull*****.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 09-07-03 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-07-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know where I can get a legitimate copy of this version?
Old 09-07-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Flave
Anyone know where I can get a legitimate copy of this version?
Not in Region 1. It has been legitimately released on DVD in Region 2 (both Japan and Europe) and Region 4 (Australia). All copies are pan & scan, because that is the only format this version of the movie exists in.
Old 09-07-03, 02:17 PM

There's a Region 3 Korean version available, too -- w/ different cover art.
Old 09-09-03, 11:20 PM

My meaning of the term "For Real" was not their views on copyright laws, but based on my past dealings.
You place an order you get your product.

Revok has been around for a few years now as has other sites like Video Mayhem of Florida & Video Search of Miami. With the current load of copyright cases going to court these days I doubt these sites would still be in business without some leg to stand on, be it a loophole or what.

When/if Jodorowsky, is released on DVD in the US I'll be happy to throw out my Revok copies. In the meantime I am glad I got to see movies by someone I've heard so much about.

BTW- I do own a legitimate copy of Santa Sangre on VHS because it is available in that format in this country. El Topo & Holy Mountain is not in any format except through somewhere like revok.

I wonder if anyone thinks there is a "real" "legitimate" DUNE "Extended Edition" since Lynch did not approve this version and has disowned it. Maybe the Japan, Europe & Korean versions are boots as well.

The director does not want this version to exist & petitioned to have his name removed, but I guess that’s ok as long Universal puts out a "legitimate" DUNE "Extended Edition" on DVD. Which I'm guessing has not happened in any country will most likely never happen.
Old 09-10-03, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by jkcarter
Revok has been around for a few years now as has other sites like Video Mayhem of Florida & Video Search of Miami. With the current load of copyright cases going to court these days I doubt these sites would still be in business without some leg to stand on, be it a loophole or what.
There is no legal loophole. Companies like this do, indeed, sometimes get busted. These businesses generally pass under the radar of studios' legal departments, however, because they present little economic threat. The expense of litigation usually outweighs the possible gain (which, for a film not currently available to purchase, would be right around zero). And, further, many of the titles targeted by these cult bootleggers tend to be owned by rather small companies, for whom the expense of litigation is beyond their means.

I wonder if anyone thinks there is a "real" "legitimate" DUNE "Extended Edition" since Lynch did not approve this version and has disowned it. Maybe the Japan, Europe & Korean versions are boots as well.

The director does not want this version to exist & petitioned to have his name removed, but I guess that’s ok as long Universal puts out a "legitimate" DUNE "Extended Edition" on DVD. Which I'm guessing has not happened in any country will most likely never happen.
Lynch's approval or disapproval of the extended cut of the film has nothing to do with the legality of those video releases. The Japanese laserdisc boxset (with both the extended cut and the theatrical cut), for example, was put out by Pioneer, who are certainly not bootleggers. Other releases (the UK disc from Castle, etc.) are likewise from the appropriate licensors for those countries.

DJ
Old 09-10-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who would pay $151? You can buy a region free DVD player and a R2 DVD of the extended version for HALF of that. People are stupid sometimes.
Old 09-10-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by jkcarter

The director's approval has nothing to do with whether the release is legal. Universal owns the film and can do with it as they please. They have indeed licensed fully legal copies for release in Europe, Japan, and Australia.
Old 09-10-03, 03:23 PM

Very well, I stand corrected on Dune then.

However I pose a question to you guys. If as with Jodorowsky you had heard about his films for years but were never able to see them. Were dying to see what all the fuss was about.

Would you as in my case use sites such as these? This is of course after trying everything else 1st.

I am a big fan of strange & surreal movies, believe me they are hard to find. Jodorowsky is not the 1st time I've had to resort to "shady" websites.

I do not want to seem as if I am promoting copyright infringement. I just want to enjoy movies I read & hear about in a category I truly love. As I said before when there are legitimate releases in this country, I'll be there to buy a copy and throw out the boot.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 09-10-03, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
The director's approval has nothing to do with whether the release is legal. Universal owns the film and can do with it as they please. They have indeed licensed fully legal copies for release in Europe, Japan, and Australia.
Just a sidenote, but from the way this film has been released around the world, I have a suspicion that the rights in many locales are owned by De Laurentiis (or whatever company is currently the successor in interest of the company De Laurentiis owned that produced Dune).

DJ