TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park re-runs to be CENSORED!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Park re-runs to be CENSORED!!

from http://www.southparkstudios.com/

Cartman, Kenny, Stan and Kyle are going to be getting a lesson in good language now that they've sold the re-run rights of South Park. But will the show be as appealing to viewers without the naughty words?

Comedy Central has given the rights to sell reruns of "South Park," to Mort Marcus, a former syndication executive at Disney for an unknown amount for his distribution company, Debmar Studios. He plans to edit the show for broadcast TV, that means cutting out most of Cartman's Comments. Some potential buyers, are worried, saying editing the show might rob it of its charm.
Nooooo!!!! They got South Park!! You know what that means??? No more Cartman insulting Kyle!!

Better get them all while you can! You never know if they’ll make it on DVD uncensored!
Old 09-06-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: South Park re-runs to be CENSORED!!

• Quoth Class316 •<HR SIZE=1>Better get them all while you can! You never know if they’ll make it on DVD uncensored! <HR SIZE=1>

Calm down, Chicken Little.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=315679

das
Old 09-06-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 09-06-03, 03:12 AM

So the creators of South Park have sold out for the almighty dollar that comes as no suprise to me.
Old 09-06-03, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, what are they going to try to make it watchable for kids? This was never meant to be a kids show and I don't think most kids will understand the bulk of the content in the show.

I won't be watching those reruns. Thank the gods for DVD.
Old 09-06-03, 07:56 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by DJ_Spyder
So the creators of South Park have sold out for the almighty dollar that comes as no suprise to me.
Comedy Central did not create South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone did. Comedy Central owns South Park. Thus, it is perfectly within their rights to sell the show into syndication without even consulting Stone and Parker. Don't assume that the creators "sold out".
Old 09-06-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Big deal. It's syndication. Everything gets cut for one reason or another. New ones will be made as always, and the DVDs will be the original versions.
Old 09-06-03, 10:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Once again the word "censorship" is misused on the forums. Carry on.
Old 09-06-03, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Tom Campbell
Comedy Central did not create South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone did. Comedy Central owns South Park. Thus, it is perfectly within their rights to sell the show into syndication without even consulting Stone and Parker. Don't assume that the creators "sold out".
You're right its within Comedy Central rights to syndicate the show but how much did Matt and Trey got out that deal? I sure haven't heard any voices of discontent from them one would assume that the financial package they got from this deal was adequate. As for them selling out do you have proof that they did not?
Old 09-06-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who says the DVDs will be un-censored?? I would not count on it! Especially the very very un-pc episodes that were recently aired!! So my advise, get them while you can!
Old 09-06-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

I know this isn't "censorship" under the first amendment (which is where you normally get the internet crazies babbling about "my freedom of speech"), but it's very clearly censorship:

Censor:
to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable
Old 09-06-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Class316
Who says the DVDs will be un-censored?? I would not count on it! Especially the very very un-pc episodes that were recently aired!! So my advise, get them while you can!
In the last 2 season box sets, the episodes have been shown in their original enirety. Just because re-runs of a racy show are being toned down for some other crappy local station, doesn't mean jack about the DVD's. I can tell you must be a big fan but you don't have to worry. You're gonna have a heart attack over all this man.
Old 09-06-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Groucho

You forgot the "...AND in a Class316 thread..."
Old 09-06-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Frankly I don't remember Matt and Trey ever claiming they were in this business for the art of it. So I don't see how they could be selling out by trying to make money. Did they take a vow of poverty I am unaware of?
Old 09-06-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Unless John Ashcroft is breaking into Matt Stone's house and forcing him to change these episodes, it ain't censorship. But carry on with the hysteria...
Old 09-06-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Unless John Ashcroft is breaking into Matt Stone's house and forcing him to change these episodes, it ain't censorship. But carry on with the hysteria...
Yes it is.
Old 09-06-03, 03:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
Old 09-06-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Yes it is.
Nope.

Ain't.
Old 09-06-03, 09:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Edited = censored.

Didn't you know?
Old 09-06-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, if you put it that way...
Old 09-06-03, 09:56 PM

Do you know what the word censorship means? This is censorship, even if its not the government doing it. I don't think anyone is saying whatever network this is doesn't have the right too, but that its an incredibly stupid move on thier part and no one will watch it. The Sopranos will also go into syndication at some point after being heavily edited. Do these assclowns actually think anyone is going to watch this watered down garbage?
Old 09-06-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
Edited = censored.

Didn't you know?
Didn't know, 'cause it isn't true.

Books, articles, movies, TV shows, etc, can be edited for a variety of reasons. In fact some TV stations preface cut versions of movies with "edited for time" as well as "edited for content" announcements.

Edited does not necessarily mean censored. If some slasher movie has a scene removed where everyone sits around wondering who the killer is, but still has all the blood, guts, gore, sex and profaniy - would you consider that to be censored, or merely edited?
Old 09-06-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by marty888
Didn't know, 'cause it isn't true.

Books, articles, movies, TV shows, etc, can be edited for a variety of reasons. In fact some TV stations preface cut versions of movies with "edited for time" as well as "edited for content" announcements.

Edited does not necessarily mean censored. If some slasher movie has a scene removed where everyone sits around wondering who the killer is, but still has all the blood, guts, gore, sex and profaniy - would you consider that to be censored, or merely edited?
That's right, but if you remove content because you find it objectionable, or profane, or controversial, that IS censorship. Anybody who doesn't think so needs to look up the definition of censorship.

If I have a paper, and I remove a paragraph because it's poorly organized, that's editing. If I remove a paragraph because it's likely to offend my audience, that's censorship (and you can self-censor yourself).

I posted the definition of censorship above, but apparently it's more convenient for people to come up with their own definition of words, regardless of whether their definition is correct. Some people are just stubborn, I suppose.
Old 09-06-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ninja Gaiden
I don't think anyone is saying whatever network this is doesn't have the right too, but that its an incredibly stupid move on thier part and no one will watch it.
Thank you Mr. Fortune Teller for telling me no one will watch. Wanna give me tomorrow's winning lottery numbers will you're telling the future?

I'm pretty sure people WILL watch. When the syndication starts, if someone is channel surfing and happens upon South Park, they'll probably keep it on. Most people probably don't even realize stuff is cut out of shows in syndication.
Old 09-06-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
I posted the definition of censorship above, but apparently it's more convenient for people to come up with their own definition of words, regardless of whether their definition is correct. Some people are just stubborn, I suppose.
Yes, you posted a definition above, although it looks conveniently incomplete. But it appears you don’t understand what you are steadfastly preaching.
If I have a paper, and I remove a paragraph because it's poorly organized, that's editing.
If it’s poorly organized, and you feel the need to remove it, it’s objectionable. Since “objectionable” is the only qualifier in your definition, then even running a spell check is censorship, n’est ce pas?

If I have the authority to tell you to take out that “objectionable” paragraph, that’s censorship.

If I buy the rights to your paper and take out that “objectionable” paragraph, that’s editing. It's mine; I can do with it what I want.

“Censorship” is a hot-button word, spewed forth by those who object to the act of a change being made to an established work (film, music, book). Some people use it in an attempt to add credence to their cry of “foul” since they haven’t the courage to just say “it sux.”

If you feel it’s censorship, cool.

I’m not perfect either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.