Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Valve in it for the money?.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never did like HL1 but I got it so I can play the mods.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/p...nnounced.shtml

I remember when some people said Valve care for the customers and are not in it for the money and I beg to differ. Will this happen what the article says, maybe but we gotta wait and see. Making us, the customers, to pay for there mod TF2 is insane. I'm not pulling money out of my ass here.

Last edited by KillaBeez; 09-05-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-05-03, 03:25 PM

That is crazy, I would probably go with the middle version with the Mods and such, but still that is crazy. I wonder what the price difference will be
Old 09-05-03, 03:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They're a business. By definition they do things for money. Otherwise, they'd be a charity.

Anyway, I'll get the highest-tier that lets me play mods. Having tried Steam, I'll be avoiding that like the plague. Buggy POS at this point. I realize that it's still in Beta, but I'm not impressed.

I just hope they still make the 9/30 release date, although I have strong doubts that they will.
Old 09-05-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the success of the Half Life mods, of course people are going to want the "Mod-Compatible" (??) version. I hope the mod version is the regular MSRP and the single player version is just cheaper... you know, for the rednecks and hillbillies shopping at Wal-Mart. These people apparantly can't comprehend the technical wonder that is "The Internet".

I don't know if any of you would lump yourself in with this crowd...
The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff.
Wonder how this affects the X-Box version, hmmm?
Old 09-05-03, 04:23 PM

Well, it looks like we shall hold our tongues until pricing is set. Who knows, maybe Valve will set SP version of HL2 to $34.99 and the MP one to $49.99. Then it would be all the same to us.
Old 09-05-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course they're in it for the money. Just like everyone else that goes to work.

D
Old 09-05-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by Derrich
Of course they're in it for the money. Just like everyone else that goes to work.

D
Old 09-05-03, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Derrich

D
well obvouisly, but the fact that there gonna make you pay extra money for there mods and other things. rip off if you ask me. And what I mean there in it for the money is that they got greedy from all the sales of the first game so make a game with HL2 slapped on the front and BOOM, you have over a million sales in a week plus, make you pay more for the mods that they bring or any other stuff they want to make you pay for.

I think they should just come out with 1 edition that has singleplayer/multiplayer that will be fully compatible with the other HL2 mods like every other publisher out there.
Old 09-05-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds pretty fair to me.

Single Player only (dial ups and people not concern with online play need apply)

MP version in both collectors pack and regular over the counter

online download, you pay the 10 bucks per month or so. basic principle if you ask me.

I'm sure you will still be able to play online even without pay per play. the bonus of paying is you get the other crap like valve mod's directly from steam like they have been releasing the blink videos.
Old 09-05-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It sounds pretty fair to me.

Single Player only (dial ups and people not concern with online play need apply)

MP version in both collectors pack and regular over the counter

online download, you pay the 10 bucks per month or so. basic principle if you ask me.

I'm sure you will still be able to play online even without pay per play. the bonus of paying is you get the other crap like valve mod's directly from steam like they have been releasing the blink videos.
Sounds fair to me too.

I don't think anyone who has seen the HL2 videos would say that Valve is just cranking out a sequel, that is just taking advantage of the HL name.

Let those who want the extra stuff to pay a little more and those that just want the game, to pay a little less.
Old 09-05-03, 08:52 PM
Banned

I seen some of the videos but not all. From what I seen so far, bleh, it looks like a average FPS.
Old 09-05-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HL2 will own all. The e3 demo was just sick... calling it an "average" fps is a complete joke.

AFA valve just trying to "make $" by releasing different versions, what the heck do you guys think they did with HL1? There are atleast 3 versions of it (reg/original, platinum, GotY etc) and they also sell mods as stand alones (tfc, cs, dod etc) too.... if they ONLY release 3 HL2s, they will be cutting back.

j
Old 09-05-03, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by KillaBeez
I seen some of the videos but not all. From what I seen so far, bleh, it looks like a average FPS.
Enlighten us. If Half-Life 2 is "average," what is an example of an "above-averge" FPS. Or an "excellent" FPS?
Old 09-05-03, 10:05 PM

I fully expect HL2 to be great but there is no way I would ever pay a monthly fee for a FPS. Yes, I know one of them comes with Multi outta the box and you don't have to pay a monthly fee. I'm just gonna wait and see how mods are handled though, I'm not about to pay for a user created mod or one that's still in beta.

I use to play Everquest and I'm so glad I finally kicked that habit(haven't played since Nov. 17th last year). After reading about this yesterday I'm gonna hold off saving for a new graphics card until I see how things go with the game.
Old 09-06-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
YOU WONT PAY PER MONTH!! jesus people get it straight.

You have an option just like you do on fileplanet. You can pay to get STEAM and mod downloads directly from them and pay or you can just donwload them yourself. STEAM is what is being placed up for the online payment and from what I hear it might just be a one time thing.

You will still be able to play online for free with the regular over the counter version. they just added a new one though, consider it a HL2 lite. it will only have single player and be cheaper for those who are just into the single player.

they did this for CS. you can get it for free online or you can buy the stand alone. either way, it's options. God forbid we have options..

But playing online will not be a pay per play type of crap.
Old 09-06-03, 01:02 AM

well obvouisly, but the fact that there gonna make you pay extra money for there mods and other things. rip off if you ask me. And what I mean there in it for the money is that they got greedy from all the sales of the first game so make a game with HL2 slapped on the front and BOOM, you have over a million sales in a week plus, make you pay more for the mods that they bring or any other stuff they want to make you pay for.

I think they should just come out with 1 edition that has singleplayer/multiplayer that will be fully compatible with the other HL2 mods like every other publisher out there.
Hmm, I read the article a few times just to make sure of what you said..

"In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. USD 9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the USD 9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content. "

All of this only applies to Steam members.
Old 09-06-03, 01:19 AM

You don't pay a dime for Steam itself. Straight from the horses mouth:

Here's my current thinking: Some people want to buy Half-Life 2 in a store. Right now we have three SKUs planned at three price points. One will have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market SKU (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world). The second is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer SKU that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX. The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff.

In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. $9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the $9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.

Now nobody has done this before, so we're scratching our heads and massaging the plans to make sure we've got the best set of options. We've had some feedback that we should sell the top SKU (single-player only no MODs) on Steam, and my reaction has been "yeah, right, for the three people in the world who have a broadband connection, are sophisticated enough to purchase software over the Internet, but DON'T want to play MODs and multiplayer". Some people have said "I want a subscription, but I think the box and the manual are cool, so what about sending me those" and I think that's pretty interesting and we're trying to figure out what to do for them (needless to say Sierra isn't exactly jumping for joy at the idea of selling us boxes so people don't buy Half-Life 2 in stores).

But nowhere has there been a suggestion that people pay in the store and then pay a monthly fee on top of that a la the MMORPG.

Gabe

All of this only applies to Steam members.
If you wanna play HL2 multiplayer you will have no choice but to use steam same for single player as well I believe.

Last edited by Galanthas; 09-06-03 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-06-03, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Galanthas
If you wanna play HL2 multiplayer you will have no choice but to use steam same for single player as well I believe.
Not the case at all. Read it again...the second and third tier SKU's include multiplayer.
Old 09-06-03, 02:02 AM

You are misunderstanding me. All HL2 Multiplayer games will be going through steam, no matter if you bought it at a store or downloaded it. Valve will be replacing Won with Steam. I'm not saying you pay anything extra just that multiplayer will be using Steam.
Old 09-06-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

yeah, but steam is free. I suppose I was a bit wrong on my understanding aswell.

the extra stuff I would assume would just be a quicker method of downloading the mods since I'm sure they will be offered on the modder's home site and what not.

steam itself is decent. I disliked how it took up a bit of room for pretty much nothing new, but it means less wall hackers so it's all good.
Old 09-06-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.

Well thank you Capt. obvious.
Old 09-06-03, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'll buy the special edition version with all the extras and wazoos... and I'll pay 10 bucks a month for no reason... and I'll wash their cars. I am happy to pay for my entertainment.
Old 09-06-03, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Enlighten us. If Half-Life 2 is "average," what is an example of an "above-averge" FPS. Or an "excellent" FPS?
Have you evered played VietCong?. Theres more games but I can't think of them at the moment. To you, HL2 is not a average game but to me, its just a average game, why? because its been done about a 100 times already.

VietCong, is 1 of very few games that take place in the Vietnam war with realistic looking jungles. To me, its a excellent FPS, why, because it hasnt been done much. Closet game to this is probley Ghost Recon.
Old 09-06-03, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Have you evered played VietCong?. Theres more games but I can't think of them at the moment. To you, HL2 is not a average game but to me, its just a average game, why? because its been done about a 100 times already.

VietCong, is 1 of very few games that take place in the Vietnam war with realistic looking jungles. To me, its a excellent FPS, why, because it hasnt been done much. Closet game to this is probley Ghost Recon.
So I guess you like VietCong. It's a decent game I guess... rather dated and mediocre, but it's kinda fun. The fact that this is the only game you can think of that's better than HL2 makes me wonder why you would even try to take this stance you're taking. HL2 is highly innovative in many respects. They're doing things that have never been done before in any video game - and they are advancing the genre more than any FPS game that has ever come out. VietCong didn't innovate nothin'. The technology alone behind HL2 is worth the wait and is something to get really excited about. There's NOTHING average about HL2... nothing at all. Can you name 100 different FPS games to explain how you can say "because its been done about 100 times already." Can you name 50 games? How about 5 games? 1? C'mon - VietCong isn't gonna get your point across here.
Old 09-06-03, 07:19 AM

I wonder how much the collectors edition will be? I've played half life mods since the first ones came out, and that will probably be the edition I buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.