Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Order

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Order

Reviews? None on Rotten Tomatoes yet, and it opens today.
Old 09-05-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately, no. Marketing on this has been slow to almost nothing. I did see the trailer prior to Wrong turn, F vs. J, and 28 Days Later. I also seen some TV spots. Looks interesting.
I'll post a review here after I see it Saturday.

I'm surprised that not Fangoria posted a review.
Old 09-05-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My local paper says, "not screened for critics". Maybe that's the reason? In any case, I'm intrigued and will probably catch it sometime during its run.
Old 09-05-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watching the trailer (which at any point could have said "Stigmata 2: Electric Boogaloo" and I wouldn't have been surprised), I kept thinking; 'These are the best bits they're showing us now. Right?'

It does look terrible, but I'll give Helgeland a chance. This guy wrote LA Confidential, for Christ's sake, and made A Knight's Tale far more enjoyable than it had any right to be.
Old 09-05-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Not Screened for critics? Wow, that's just harsh. It almost always means bad things. I can't believe Helgeland would do something that bad. I guess I can hold up a glimmer of hope.
Old 09-05-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like a big fat turd.
Old 09-05-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have gone to see it if they hadn't changed
the title from "The Sin Eater" to this crap.

oh well i'm sure it sucks if it's not being screened
in advance.

they just wanna capitalize on a Heath Ledger opening
weekend.
Old 09-05-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I would have gone to see it if they hadn't changed
the title from "The Sin Eater" to this crap.
Oh, so that was the original title? I was just in the Philippines and that's the title of the movie there. I thought it was the other way around. That "Order" was the original the TSE was the alternate for the international release.
Old 09-05-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Sin-Eater" is a Marvel Comics character or something, so the name was changed. Although a smarter name change would have been to "Don't see this, really".

Yeah, I'm just back from it. And amid the amount of false intrigue, bland characters, creepy buildings (it's ROME! They're... OLD! Old is CREEPY, right?) and just plain silly twaddle being spouted back-and-forth in exposition that sounds like Matrix Reloaded outtakes, there's the most barren, uninvolving, cliched plot.

Here's me watching the film:

- Oh, it's dark. Heath Ledger is obviously a tortured soul, because he hasn't shaved.

- CARDINAL BUCKAROO BANZAI: "You must go to Rome, Heath, since you are the last member of THE ORDER."
AUDIENCE: "What, so all that thing in the ads about 'the order will find you' was absolute bollocks?"

- Shannyn Sossamon shows up. She does nothing, as he will continue to do for the film's remainder.

- MARK ADDY: "Yo-ho-ho, I am the jovial Irish priest. Ho-ho-ho."
HEATH LEDGER: "Shhh, I'm trying to be dark and brooding."
MARK ADDY: "Oh, I see. I shall then shut up for the rest of the film and do nothing that warrants my presence in this film."

- Heath Ledger, action-movie priest: "It was demon spawn manifested in the guise of children. Nothing I couldn't handle."

- Ah, here's the underground EVIL order. We know they're evil, because they all wear black bags on their heads, they have a bald mute woman and they're playing techno music very loud.

- Hey, it's the german guy from The Princess & The Warrior! But he's a deep, involving character that you feel compassion for despite the things he does. Instead of making you care about the film, his appearance just clarifies how bad the rest of it is.

- Wow, this film is nothing like the trailer. That's surprising. Instead its just plain boring.

- BENNO FURMANN: "Let's talk rubbish for an hour."
HEATH LEDGER: "Alright, as long as I get to be dark and brooding".

- Ah! It's sin leaving the body! And when sin leaves the body, it looks like jellyfish and fishing wire.

- Shannyn Sossamon still serves no purpose whatsoever.

- BENNO FURMANN: "Raaar! I shall bark cryptic diaologue at various people! If they're not scared, they'll be confused."

- Ah, it's exactly like the trailer after all. Damn.

- Shannyn Sossamon actually realizes she's in the film and gets to be part of the plot, though her presence still isn't justified.

- Villain: "Since you're about to die anyway, I shall tell you the entire plot."

- MARK ADDY: "AAAAAAAAAAA!"
AUDIENCE: "ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz..."

(The Audience sleeps until the credits play to the sound of MORE TECHNO MUSIC)

Sad, really. It had the concept for a great film and certainly had the talent for it. What happened?
Old 09-05-03, 08:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The fact that this movie wasn't screened for critics is a pretty good sign it's a bomb.
Old 09-05-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
"Sin-Eater" is a Marvel Comics character or something, so the name was changed. Although a smarter name change would have been to "Don't see this, really".

Yeah, I'm just back from it. And amid the amount of false intrigue, bland characters, creepy buildings (it's ROME! They're... OLD! Old is CREEPY, right?) and just plain silly twaddle being spouted back-and-forth in exposition that sounds like Matrix Reloaded outtakes, there's the most barren, uninvolving, cliched plot.

- Oh, it's dark. Heath Ledger is obviously a tortured soul, because he hasn't shaved.

- CARDINAL BUCKAROO BANZAI: "You must go to Rome, Heath, since you are the last member of THE ORDER."
AUDIENCE: "What, so all that thing in the ads about 'the order will find you' was absolute bollocks?"

- Shannyn Sossamon shows up. She does nothing, as he will continue to do for the film's remainder.

MARK ADDY: "Oh, I see. I shall then shut up for the rest of the film and do nothing that warrants my presence in this film."

- Heath Ledger, action-movie priest: "It was demon spawn manifested in the guise of children. Nothing I couldn't handle."

- Ah, here's the underground EVIL order. We know they're evil, because they all wear black bags on their heads, they have a bald mute woman and they're playing techno music very loud.

- Hey, it's the german guy from The Princess & The Warrior! But he's a deep, involving character that you feel compassion for despite the things he does. Instead of making you care about the film, his appearance just clarifies how bad the rest of it is.

- Wow, this film is nothing like the trailer. That's surprising. Instead its just plain boring.

- Ah! It's sin leaving the body! And when sin leaves the body, it looks like jellyfish and fishing wire.

- BENNO FURMANN: "Raaar! I shall bark cryptic diaologue at various people! If they're not scared, they'll be confused."

- Shannyn Sossamon actually realizes she's in the film and gets to be part of the plot, though her presence still isn't justified.

- Villain: "Since you're about to die anyway, I shall tell you the entire plot."

Sad, really. It had the concept for a great film and certainly had the talent for it. What happened?
Funny stuff man. I was going to see the movie JUST for Peter Weller. But maybe I'll just wait for the DVD. At least there is always next weekend to look foward to. Banderas, Hayek, Depp, Dafoe, Rork. . . ohhhhh how I can't wait.
Old 09-05-03, 09:36 PM
Banned

It looks interesting, but just another movie I'll wait for DVD.

Anyways, critics suck. I rarely agree with them, and I love the fact it wasn't screened for em. Nanana ..
Old 09-05-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe when a movie isn't screened for critics means to things:

The Bad:
-it isn't good

The Good:
-it a good film, but is unlikely any mainstream critics will get, so the negative response will drive away any potential veiwers.
We all know how critics ( mainstram ones like local papers and Ebert) aren't too fond of the horror genre anyway.

Look at House of 1000 Corpses and Wrong Turn, good, fun horror movies, but wouldn't impress a critic to save the universe.

Oh well, its got my $5.
Old 09-05-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I happen to really like the talent inolved in this film, Brian Helgeland had really jumped genres quite a bit, quite successfully in my opinion, so I'm there just for him. Toss in Heath Ledger whom I really like as an actor (just re-watched 10 Things... last weekend so my Heath appreciation has rebounded), Shannyn Sossaman isn't anything spectacular, but she plays well with Heath.

And the concept is enough to get me interested....I'll be checking it out tomorrow at a matinee.
Old 09-05-03, 11:37 PM

That actually sounds good to me. I loved the philosophical parts of The Matrix Reloaded as well. I've been wanting to see Benno in an english film for a while now, so it's getting my 5 bones.
Old 09-06-03, 07:59 PM
Registered

With almost no exception, when a film is 'held from critics' it's because they want to open the film on the first weekend based SOLEY on the advertising with the hopes that they will recupe some of their money before the bad word of mouth gets started on a film.

Studios screen about 95% of their films, including ones I think everyone knows is a stinker. They tend to hold these rare 5% from ciritics because they think there's a shot at some good money riding on the star power, and that if they screen it for cirtics the word will spread like widfire and it'll tank opening day.
Old 09-06-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
With almost no exception, when a film is 'held from critics' it's because they want to open the film on the first weekend based SOLEY on the advertising with the hopes that they will recupe some of their money before the bad word of mouth gets started on a film.

Studios screen about 95% of their films, including ones I think everyone knows is a stinker. They tend to hold these rare 5% from ciritics because they think there's a shot at some good money riding on the star power, and that if they screen it for cirtics the word will spread like widfire and it'll tank opening day.
Of course the problem is, do people realize that it's not being screened and then automatically label it as crap sans reviews, or are they ignorant of that fact? I would guess the latter, but that also assumes that enough of the audience actually reads and cares about the reviews. That seems like a stretch.

Best in my book to just let reviews go out, then to try and hide it which only seems to make it worse.
Old 09-06-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was below average movie. Interesting idea, uninteresting follow thru. Some parts were intriging, but not enough to hold my attention, I kept thinking about the CFB games I was missing.

I'd wait for the dvd for a rental if interested. Now we know why it was withheld from critics; a brief blip on the radar of a fun, good horror year.

Grade: C-
Old 09-07-03, 12:32 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
This to me was the worst film of the year, the basic premise was okay, and I love those movies where the Vatican is evil and is hiding all these secrets, and the scholars need to solve them.

But this was just plain bad. The only good quality was mark addy and that is not saying much.
Old 09-07-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
The only good quality was mark addy and that is not saying much.
What??? Didn't you see the EVIL children? You know they're evil, because, well... they're... quiet. And you know who else is quiet? Dead people. Coincidence...?

And let's not forget THIS magical passage.

HEATH LEDGER: Come on, Mark Addy. We must take this convoluted, treacherous way out of the underground cavern, which I'm pretty sure isn't the way we came in.

MARK ADDY: No, I have to go to those ghosts over there.

HEATH LEDGER: Where? Behind the crappy CGI? And what exactly do you plan to do to said ghosts? 'Begorrah' them to hell?

MARK ADDY: I dunno, Spaghetti-O. And because of your lack of faith, I won't explain that ridiculous nickname to the audience.

HEATH LEDGER: Great, something else we can add to the 'Big Ol' List-O-Stuff we don't bother explaining at all'.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 09-07-03 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-07-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It didn't look like much from the trailer and after reading reviews / interviews / previews, my interest got even smaller. Really doubt I ever check this one out.
Old 09-08-03, 07:14 AM

I think this movie is worth checking out. I saw it last night and thought it was actually pretty good. It was a great story but it just needed to be fleshed out a little more. I was wondering how you can say Shannon played no justified part at all? Did you not stay through the entire movie or were you just not paying attention? The 'order' Heath belonged to was clearly evident and needed no explaining. I thought Heath and Benno did a great job in their roles as well. I think a lot of you went in wanting it to fail :P.
Old 09-08-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Der Krieger1979
I was wondering how you can say Shannon played no justified part at all? Did you not stay through the entire movie or were you just not paying attention?
Because she played no justified part at all, that's why. Oh, trust me. I watched every minute of the film. I'm surprised my eyes aren't scarred.
Old 09-08-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
My wife and I went on Friday and we both really enjoyed it.

Nice little mix of horror and mystery, and I appreciated the fact that it wasn't this big "showdown between Heath and the bad guy" deal, but actually dealt with some interesting ideas about Catholicism and faith in general.

So thumbs up from me.
Old 09-08-03, 10:04 AM

Because she played no justified part at all, that's why. Oh, trust me. I watched every minute of the film. I'm surprised my eyes aren't scarred.
You must've blinked if you watched every minute then :P.

Spoiler:
If she had not committed suicide, based on what Heath first believed, he would've never became the next sin eater. It was because of his love for her, and the fact that he believed suicide to be a mortal sin, plus the fact his mother had committed suicide, that he wanted to take her sin away so that she might enter heaven. That's a huge justified role if you ask me. If not for her he wouldn't have become the sin eater in the first place.

Last edited by Der Krieger1979; 09-08-03 at 10:17 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.