Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best version of Jet Li's BLACK MASK?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-05-03, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the R1 version but the dubbing and annoying rap sound track is starting to piss me off. Is there another version that's in the original language with English subtitles AND UNCUT? Also did anyone else notice that they changed A LOT of stuff in part 2?
Old 09-05-03, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
part 2 had something to do with genetically altered wrestlers or something didn't it? awful.

btw - I think the HK version has english subs and original language.
Old 09-05-03, 05:09 AM

Asian DVD Guide
Go here to see how many Black Mask versions are available. Each one is edited slightly differently with different subtitles, changing the story somewhat.
One, I forget which. I think it's by ThunderMedia, is supposedly uncut. I have three different versions and although the visuals are relatively the same, you'd swear you were looking at three subtly different stories, with different character motivations, relationships and plots.
DVD Basen's collection of Black Mask Reviews
Also go here to see what DVD Basen has collected from around the world on BM and BM2 if you have any interest at all in this regurgitated non-movie.
You might end up like me, wishing they would throw all the BM versions in a blender and come up with one combining all the best elements.
J
Old 09-05-03, 09:18 PM

As far as I know, Ritek has the uncut version, with the original language and music. It's in PAL, though. I don't know if anybody else has that.

Black Mask 2, by the way, is a waste of time.
Old 09-06-03, 02:23 AM

the ritek uncut disc is long out of print. the thundermedia version is a direct rip of the ritek and its ntsc (don't know about the ritek version being pal or ntsc). i was only able to find the thundermedia disc on ebay. got it from brucelee1940. shipping is steep but he is reliable. good luck.
Old 09-06-03, 03:14 PM

The Ritek is OOP but still available pretty cheaply on Ebay.

I thought it was NTSC, I'll have to look at my copy.