Danger Man Season 1?

Community
Search

Danger Man Season 1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger Man Season 1?

I happened by DeepDiscountDVD's web page this morning, and I was surprised to see them offering a box set of Danger Man, Season 1 - the 39 half-hour episodes of the show starring Patrick McGoohan that's also called "Secret Agent" - supposedly shipping next week (9/9/03).

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere at all as an upcoming release (not on A&E's website, for instance) nor is it being sold anyplace else as far as I can tell. Is it another DDD "exclusive" like "The New Avengers"?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had more details, and also wanted to send a heads up to anyone who might be interested in this, like I am.

--Scott M.
Old 09-04-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is an exclusive for a period of time. I ordered it from Critics Choice Video, which is affiliated with DDD. I was e-mailed stating it had been shipped to me a couple of days ago.
Old 09-04-03, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the heads up!

They should only release shows in full season formats.
Old 09-04-03, 02:59 PM

Nice to see this done in a 5-disc set, instead if A&E's usual massive mega-sets.
Old 09-04-03, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
Nice to see this done in a 5-disc set, instead if A&E's usual massive mega-sets.
Why is it that you prefer the smaller set to the mega-sets? I was extremely happy to be able to get the 10 disk Priosoner set for less than the price of this 5 disk Danger Man package.
Old 09-04-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably just the fact that the A&E sets are spread over more discs than needed, or the fact that they didn't use smaller, digi pack type packaging.
Old 09-05-03, 07:50 AM

I prefer smaller multi-disc sets to larger ones simply for shelf space purposes -- and because I like to see DVDs holding as much content as possible.

I would be curious to know where you bought the 10-disc Prisoner set for less than the $53 that DDD is advertising Danger Man Season 1.

The best thing about DVD collections is that they don't take up a lot of shelf space. So not taking advantage of that (as A&E hasn't in so many releases -- the Prisoner, Avengers, Space 1999, etc etc) is disappointing.
Old 09-05-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
This set is just one season though. They still have the megaset as well. I don't really mind those at all, they do take too much room, but I just put them on top of the shelf (so it's a good way for me to use that space--since they are so big, they don't fall over.
Old 09-05-03, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
It is an exclusive for a period of time. I ordered it from Critics Choice Video, which is affiliated with DDD. I was e-mailed stating it had been shipped to me a couple of days ago.
Yeah, I noticed after I posted my message that Critics Choice Video had it too. It appears to be just like "The New Avengers" deal. I'm pleased that A&E and DDD are partnering like this to bring some of the stuff that doesn't necessarily have wide appeal.

Hopefully we'll get the Black&White "The Saint" episodes eventually too (well, and the rest of "The Avengers" and "The New Avengers" would be nice too). But I'm happy that my "Danger Man" set will be complete, anyway.

I do agree that A&E should use more space-efficient packaging. Their releases are taking up too much of my shelf space!

--Scott M.
Old 09-05-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm confused. A review at Amazon says the mega set only contains the hour long episodes from specific years...

While I agree with "McGoohan Fanatic" that the 30-minute episodes from 1960-61 are worth viewing, this Megaset includes only the 1964-66 B&W and 1968 color episodes (all of which were 60 minutes), previously released as Secret Agent AKA Danger Man sets 1-6.
So, to get it all, do we need to get the Danger Man first season set, as well as the Secret Agent mega set? If I get both, am I still missing anything (seems like from what the Amazon reviewer says, the mega set skips years - maybe that's how the show aired)?
Old 09-05-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
[So, to get it all, do we need to get the Danger Man first season set, as well as the Secret Agent mega set? If I get both, am I still missing anything (seems like from what the Amazon reviewer says, the mega set skips years - maybe that's how the show aired)? [/B]
That is how the show aired; the first season ran 1960-61, and was half hour episodes; the second and third seasons ran 1964-1966, with hour long episodes; and really there wasn't a 4th season, just two shows made in 1968 before it was aborted.

If you get the Danger Man first season set, and the Secret Agent Mega Set, you'll have every episode. (Assuming no goof-ups on the Danger Man first season set, which I don't think anyone has actually gotten yet.)

The sets have two different names for a couple of reasons: all seasons of the show aired as "Danger Man" in the UK. The first season briefly aired in the US as "Danger Man," but the later seasons, coming after the James Bond films, were aired under a new title with a new opening sequence as "Secret Agent" in the U.S.

The second reason is that A&E, in an apparent lack of planning, started with the second season and called it "set 1." So it looks like when they decided to release the first season, they needed to give that set a new name...

--Scott M.
Old 09-05-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks SM. I'm well versed on The Prisoner, but not Danger Man. I did know about the reason for the name change, but was totally clueless about the series run.

Kinda sucks that the mega set isn't quite the mega set I thought it was, but oh well.
Old 09-05-03, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get both sets, is there any repetition of episodes?
Old 09-05-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope.

If it is easier, think of the 30 min and later 60 min versions as being seperate series.
Old 09-17-03, 12:11 PM

I received my "Danger Man" Season 1 boxset from DeepDiscountDVD yesterday, and I'm pleased. The video quality, for a TV show from 1960-61, is excellent - nice and sharp without being over edge enhanced, very good contrast. They're on par with the "Secret Agent" DVDs, which I also thought looked very nice. There are occasional scratches and dust spots, but not so many as to be upsetting.

They look far better than, say, the early "Avengers" discs or the "Peter Gunn" discs from A&E - although I realize that the early "Avengers" episodes at least are kineoscopes, whereas "Danger Man" seems to have been sourced from the original film.

Sound was fairly mediocre, but it is a TV show from 1960, after all...

Anyway, just wanted to say they looked good. And how nice it is to actually have all the episodes of a '60s TV spy show on DVD!

--Scott M.