Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Blind Buys of TV Shows - I'm Loving It!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 11:59 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As with 24, Shield and CSI, I did a blind purchase of Alias (I never saw an episode until I've purchased the dvd sets).... and I'm loving it.

I hate commercials and can never commit to scheduled TV viewings, so dvds are the best thing for me. Perhaps I need to get TIVO but I love taking my DVDs on the road and watching them in my parked car while my wife shops or watching them on my portable player during my bus or ferry commute.

Tonight I watched the season 1 premiere of Alias. Great stuff...

Edit to add: I don't DWD (Drive While Dvding).

Last edited by dgc; 09-04-03 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first time I saw 24 was on DVD. I couldn't commit to regular viewing either.
Old 09-04-03, 12:13 AM

Yeah, I completely agree. DVD introduced me to Futurama, Family Guy, 24, and Alias. Of course, it also introduced me to Sex and the City, which I ended up loathing, but 4 out of 5 ain't bad...that's why there's the Exchange Forum.
Old 09-04-03, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also agree. The thing I've found is that TV on DVD can be much more addicting than movies. Even if I don't "love" the show, I am still suckered in to watching more and more because of the cliffhangers. The fact that there are no commericals also makes them infinitely more tolerable.
Old 09-04-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

awesome. i hope i have the same reaction once i finally get around to watching my season 1 24 dvd
Old 09-04-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

24, Stargate SG-1, Buffy, Angel.

All shows I had given a pass to on broadcast TV, all blind buys, all wonderful additions to my DVD library.
Old 09-04-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yikes -- that's a pretty steep step for a blind buy -- a blind buy for a movie might mean you're out $12, but with a series it can be $40-70... I don't think I'm that brave!
Old 09-04-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost always never watch TV shows "live". I usually tape them (and find something else to do in the meantime--usually go to the gym) so that I can skip the commercials while watching the show. I hate how shows purposely try to leave a cliffhanger before a commercial (reality shows are the most guilty of doing this), so I just say "screw you" and fast forward through the commercial. Yes, I'm a genius.

Speaking of TV blind buys, since I don't have HBO, I've often considered purchasing The Sopranos to see what the hype is all about and to not miss out on an important piece of pop culture.

Old 09-04-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I couldn't see myself buying a DVD of a TV show I've not seen before. It's not like buying a $10-$15 DVD of a movie I've missed, where I could have paid $7-$8 to see it in the theater.

With a TV show, it's just too easy to see it before buying it, even if only once. I bought Alias, and as I watched it, I was amazed at how many episodes I had missed. It's a great way to catch up, but I don't see myself buying a $30-$50 TV box set without seeing a few episodes first.
Old 09-04-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Blind Buys of TV Shows - I'm Loving It!!!

Originally posted by dgc
I love taking my DVDs on the road and watching them in my car while my wife shops or watching them on my portable player during my commute.
I sure hope you wear your seat belt.
Old 09-04-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, DVD introduced me to Buffy and Angel, which is all I need to say. I never watch cable/TV except for the news, but these shows are simply awesome and due to the episode length, easy to throw in the player at any time for a quick fix when there isn't enough time to watch a full movie.
Old 09-04-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

Speaking of TV blind buys, since I don't have HBO, I've often considered purchasing The Sopranos to see what the hype is all about and to not miss out on an important piece of pop culture.

GET THE SOPRANOS! you won't regret it
Old 09-04-03, 11:03 AM

I'm probably going to cancel my cable television altogether soon and just stick with TV on DVD.
Old 09-04-03, 11:28 AM

I recently bought the Prisoner TV series on DVD as a blind buy, at the recommendation of folks on DVDTalk. I also bought War & Remembrance (v.1) on DVD as a blind buy. I'm very happy with both.

I found I rarely watched anything on regular/cable TV this summer, other than the occasional news program (althoug hreally, newspapers are a much better source of information). DVDs allow me to program my TV as I see fit -- and to stop and start as I want as well.
Old 09-04-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i agree...i've bought sopranos, six feet under, 24 season 1, OZ without seeing them, and loved them all....i'm thjinking about getting Alias next
Old 09-04-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one recommendation for ya'll(if you don't have it yet):

Sports Night.
Old 09-04-03, 12:15 PM

My favorites have been 24, Angel, Buffy, Sopranos and especially Six Feet Under. All were blind buys as I don't subscribe to Cable TV (I'd rather pump that money into my DVD collection).
Those of you into box sets/TV might want to consider Columbiahouse DVD club. The selection is limited, but you can get the sets for about the same price as Amazon or B&Ms (CH prices sets at about 30% off MSRP). I get the six enrollment movies for under $20 then buy one or two boxed sets to fulfill the account. I've picked up all Sopranos, Sports Night, ER, Will and Grace so far, they also have some Simpsons, Little House on the Prarie, and more. Unfortunately, they no longer carry HBO.
Old 09-04-03, 12:31 PM

I have really gotten hooked on TVs on DVD over the last year or so. And I have purchased a few sets as blind buys. So far I have been lucky and have had no bad sets. Buffy, Angel, The Office (R2) and High Life (R2) were all blind buys and have no complaints at all really. The High Life wasn't as good as I expected but it is funny. Actually Buffy has become a favorite of mine now.

Other shows I plan to buy blindly are Alias, Firefly and I might get Stargate, not sure yet.
Old 09-04-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus

you can rent the sopranos at blockbuster, so if you think the price is steep (100 bucks a set retail around 80 most places), that would be the place to get episodes.
Old 09-04-03, 01:36 PM

Re: Blind Buys of TV Shows - I'm Loving It!!!

Originally posted by dgc
I hate commercials and can never commit to scheduled TV viewings ... Perhaps I need to get TIVO
Yes, yes you do.
Old 09-04-03, 02:18 PM

TV blind buys for me have been the Sopranos, Buffy, Angel and Xena. Never watched an episode of any of those live. I love the first three. Hated Xena and sold it on eBay for twice what I paid for it.

Next up, after I get through Angel S2, I'm considering either Smallville or Alias.
Old 09-04-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

same here with 24... heard it was great, liked the TV promo ads, so I did a blind buy... and couldnt be happier about it. I really hate conforming to a tv shows schedule, waiting for commercials, and since my signal comes via cable, its all grainy and crap. screw that, dvd all the way! as if a/v quality and a lack of commercials wasnt enuff, with a cool dvd set you get extras and stuff too!

j
Old 09-04-03, 02:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm blind-buying Alias as well.

Can't wait to watch 'em all!
Old 09-04-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For some reason, all my blind buys tend to be expensive ones. Usually Criterions or TV seasons.

Anyway, the best blind buys I've made as far as TV goes have been on Futurama and Family Guy. They weren't really blind buys in the traditional sense of the term though. In fact, I'd watched both shows a few times back when they first started airing and I didn't like them. Yet, when they came out on DVD, I was compelled to buy them. Probably two of the best blind buys I've ever made.

I've decided that when Simpsons Season 4 comes out, I'm going to cancel my cable subscription. Mainly because I figure at that point, Seinfeld will be out on DVD, South Park will be almost up to date on DVD along with Friends, and I'll have the entire run of Futurama. A long ways off, I know. But I have to have enough different episodes of The Simpsons to keep myself occupied.
Old 09-04-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm not buying a whole lot unless I'm familiar with the show [Simpsons, Mary Tyler Moore, Lexx, Bullwinkle, Outer Limits] but I am using Netflix to check a lot of them out, esp the ones from HBO that I don't get. Didn't really get into Band of Brothers, but Six Feet Under is awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.