X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Even several OOPs.

Very nice!
Old 09-03-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
So how much to they charge if you check out & "lose" one of the OOPs? Not suggesting this...just curious.
Old 09-03-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Evil thought Brian ...

Great list ... my library doesn't come close to that many CCs but the list is o.k. and no cost for a seven day check-out.
Old 09-03-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, very nice!

What is the average wait time to get one.? I noticed most are either on loan or hold.
Old 09-03-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
So how much to they charge if you check out & "lose" one of the OOPs? Not suggesting this...just curious.
Sadly, that will eventually happen (I've occasionally looked for OOP books where all the copies are mysteriously lost).
Old 09-03-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eventually. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Old 09-03-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My city library has 0 dvds. Not even one!
Old 09-03-03, 05:03 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-03-03, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by island007
WOW, very nice!

What is the average wait time to get one.? I noticed most are either on loan or hold.
It doesn't take that long. The most I've waited was about 10 days. If you must, you could place a hold on any of them. They charge $0.50 for holds that have not been returned. Otherwise, holds are FOC if the DVD is available.

The nice part is that I could preview and decide whether I should buy. I rented Honeymoon Killers and decided that wasn't for me. By Brakhage was a bit too unmovie-like for me, so spared me a purchase. Otherwise, I've purchased most of what I rented.

For some reason, the folks at this library brings in most of the Criterions. It looks like they're bringing in all the new releases as well. They have tons of Janus films on video. Most other rental outlets don't carry much foreign language Criterions so I guess we're lucky in this area.
Old 09-03-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My library has 173 Criterion DVDs and video discs. They even show pictures of the covers when you are browsing their online catalog! These are free to check out for a week. Sweet.
Old 05-13-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
Had to resurrect this thread to sing praises to my library, which has 143 Criterions. Its very cool policies have cured me of dvd collecting: they allow 5 dvd sets and 5 VHS sets out at a time, and the sets can be kept for two weeks. Lots of sets are by the season, so even though I have SATC seasons two and five and the Looney Tunes Golden Collection out right now (9 discs), it only counts as three dvds. Free. Not to mention Shooting the Past on VHS, which I had almost bought in Region 2 since it's not available on dvd in the US.

Maybe I was just clueless, but I had no idea that there was so much at the library.
Old 05-13-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the past year or so I have discovered a great love for one of my local libraries. It's about 20 minutes away and they carry over 100 Criterions, not to mention many other DVDs, some of them rare and out of print. The amount of time it takes them to get newer releases varies, but usually they do come in eventually, often within two or three months - they just recently got in "The River" and "L'Ecclise," among several other Criterion releases from the beginning of the year.

They do charge $1 per DVD/VHS for one week, but it's more than worth it - they use the money to buy more movies for their collection.
Old 05-13-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My local library has 0 Criterion titles but my DVD collection includes 110 of them.
Old 05-13-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local library has several. I don't think they have that many (around 50-60), but I have borrowed many. You can only have 2 dvds out at a time and you can keep them for up to two weeks.

The last one I borrowed was Children Of Paradise.
Old 05-14-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
eventually. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
yeah, you said that you already do this in a similar thread to this one.
Old 05-14-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't even have a library card. I guess that shows how often I visit my local library.
Old 05-14-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My local library only has the three Criterion that I donated to them and one that they bought on their own (Royal Tennenbaums). It's small privately funded public library.
Old 05-14-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You donated them to your local library?

Which three were they? Just curious.

You should have donated them to me. I'm small (just money wise) and privately funded, too!
Old 05-14-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by conscience

You should have donated them to me. I'm small (just money wise) and privately funded, too!
Hmmm, the library is a tax write-off, my guess is that you aren't
Old 05-14-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience

It's a privately funded small town library. While I could choose to get tax donation receipts I don't. I get to "rent" for free (instead of the $1 per night) because my wife volunteers there. What's wrong with donating movies you no longer want? It's too much trouble to sell them on flea bay.

The one's I donated where the Hard Boiled, The Killer and Spinal Tap.

Actually, they were For All Mankind, Charade and Yojimbo (dups in my collection). I've also donated various old versions of double dips like a few Bond movies, Goodfellas, Animal House, and others.
Old 05-14-05, 12:25 PM

My library has one DVD. The Outsiders. That's it.
Old 05-14-05, 12:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
The Cincinnati Library also carries DVDs and has a decent selection to chose from. But, there is a downside to carrying Criterion discs: They start to quickly disappear from the shelves once the DVD has gone out of print.

Case in point: I was scanning the DVD shelves a while back and noticed they had three copies of Mon Oncle by Jacque Tati. So, I walked over to the library computer and discovered that they also had Playtime and M. Hulot's Holiday listed as holdings. I put both of them on reserve since they were listed as checked out to another patron.

A month went by and the library never informed me that the DVDs were ready for pickup (normal check-out time for DVDs was 3 Days at the time), so I went in and inquired about the reservation. The librarian informed me that both DVDs had been checked out months earlier and never returned.

I then asked them if they knew that both of those DVDs were worth hundreds of dollars each (since that was the going price on eBay at the time). The clerk looked shocked! I then asked how much the patron had been charged for the "lost" DVDs and was told $30 each (which was the maximum the library could charge per DVD)!!

So, I told them that Mon Oncle had recently been rendered OOP and that they should seriously consider creating a "rare film" section so that they could keep it behind the desk for safe-keeping and also charge the replacement value of the DVD if it went missing. Of course, nothing was ever done and the remaining 3 copies of Mon Oncle disappeared from the shelves over the next month and were never returned.

So, someone got a $125 DVD for $30 and other patrons were prevented from "discovering" this director and his work. Sad, huh?
Old 05-14-05, 07:25 PM

My local library doesn't have all of this but it is the reason I got so much into cinema some years ago (I live in a small dumpy TN town so its a miracle we even have a library). I just kept going there renting films and thats what brought me into a more broad horizon of film watching (The Seventh Seal, M, 8 1/2, Seven Samurai, and Ran were my first experience into foreign cinema and they were from the library first time I saw them). I check in every now and then and last time I was there they had the Cassavetes set and Divorce Italian Style which was great to see. I already own the Cassavetes set and its the prize of my collection but I've been recommending everyone I know who is not introduced to Cassavetes to go rent it and hopefully it will broaden them up. The library is a great place.
Old 05-14-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
HTTP ERROR: 404 /ipac-cgi/ipac.exe Not Found
RequestURI=/ipac-cgi/ipac.exe

That's all I get when I click on the OP's link...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.