Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Scarface to get theatrical re-release before DVD reissue!

Old 09-02-03, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First The Exorcist, then Alien, now Tony Montana. Wonder if any of these would have happened if it weren't for DVD?

Here's the release:

Universal City, California, September 2, 2003. In celebration of its 20th anniversary, Brian De Palma’s searing underworld_epic Scarface will return to theaters in limited engagements on September 19th, it was announced today by Universal_Pictures and Focus Features. Al Pacino stars in the film, which stunned audiences upon its debut with its uncompromising and visceral depiction of the American immigrant experience. These special theatrical engagements will feature new 35mm prints struck from restored film elements, and a newly remixed digital soundtrack. A major_premiere_will be held_in New York_to kick-off the theatrical run.
_
“All of us at Universal are tremendously excited about this opportunity for audiences to experience Scarface on the big screen,” said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Video which supervised the restoration of the film. “Unlike most films, Scarface has gained in interest and influence over the last 20 years, and its fervent fan base continues to grow. This is truly an event.”
_
Focus Features, the specialty film unit of Universal Pictures, will distribute Scarface in these theatrical engagements.
_
Originally released by Universal Pictures in 1983, the film was hailed for Al Pacino’s towering performance as Cuban immigrant Tony Montana, and for Brian De Palma’s masterful direction. Over the years, as the film found continued exposure on television and home video, it developed a devoted following in the hip-hop and urban music community, resulting in a widespread influence on music, fashion, language, attitude and ambition. But many of its most devoted fans have never experienced the film in its original form or presentation, and the 20th anniversary of Scarface allows them this unique opportunity and more.
_
In bringing the film back to its full theatrical power, producer Martin Bregman and original film editor_Jerry Greenberg worked tirelessly to fully restore the picture. “This new re-mastered print reaches out and grabs you in a very visceral way,” says producer Martin Bregman. “The digital sound on the new release of Scarface is incredible and gives new life to Tony Montana’s iconic dialogue, and to the lifestyle he embodies and continues to inspire today. Our greatest hope is that a new generation will be acquainted with this powerful epic.”
_
The theatrical engagements of Scarface will take place in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Detroit, Dallas, Miami and San Francisco. “The response from theatre owners has been immediate. Everyone is excited to see Tony Montana’s rise to the top and fall to the bottom all over again,” says Focus Features distribution head Jack Foley. “There’s a new generation of Scarface fans who want to see this print on a big screen.”
_
Following the theatrical engagements, a home entertainment moratorium will be lifted as the Scarface Two-Disc Anniversary Edition and the Scarface Deluxe Gift Set DVD roll out on September 30th.

Epic is Reborn on DVD
_
The DVD release of Brian De Palma’s iconic film, Scarface, offers more explosive sights and sounds than ever, thanks to digital picture re-mastering and powerful DTS 5.1 digital sound. In addition to providing in-depth features on the historic making of this film, the Scarface Two-Disc Anniversary Edition and Deluxe Gift Set also contain explosive, never-before-seen bonus features including an original 20 minute documentary, Def Jam Presents: Origins of a Hip-Hop Classic, packed with interviews from today’s biggest hip-hop artists—P Diddy, Snoop Dog, Eve and the rapper Scarface—on how this classic film has influenced their lives and music.
_
Scarface Inspired Music

In addition to the bonus documentary Def Jam Presents: Origins of a Hip Hop Classic, Def Jam Music Group is prepared to release “Def Jam Recordings Presents Music Inspired By Scarface.” The disc, set for release on September 16th, features hip-hop hits ranging from Grand Master Flash to Jay-Z to Notorious B.I.G.
Old 09-02-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might have to drive to Chicago just to see my favorite film on the big screen!
Old 09-02-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This seems like pretty short notice.
Old 09-02-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That'll be awesome on a big screen! I imagine the print will be restored and they'll use the remixed sound... me and my posse will cruise into Chi-town for this bi-atch!

What? I really talk like that
Old 09-02-03, 09:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this is why I love living in LA
Old 09-02-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dammit, Atlanta has been left out!
Old 09-02-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
At least it's playing in Filthadelphia.
Old 09-02-03, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

I can't wait to not only pick up the new DVD but also that new Def Jam CD. Can't wait to hear what Jay Z has up his sleeve.
Old 09-02-03, 10:17 PM

This sounds like a great DVD, and I wish it would come out in all theaters again, across the country. It's not fair to only play it in the big markets. A lot of people young and old love this movie.

My only complaint about the new DVD.

In addition to the bonus documentary Def Jam Presents: Origins of a Hip Hop Classic, Def Jam Music Group is prepared to release “Def Jam Recordings Presents Music Inspired By Scarface.” The disc, set for release on September 16th, features hip-hop hits ranging from Grand Master Flash to Jay-Z to Notorious B.I.G.

This is sad, I'm sorry, but I hope I can get a coppy of the DVD without this crap on it? It makes me sad to think they need to push it on the MTV(sheep) crowd to make an extra $. Makes me not want ot buy it, but I have no choice, if I want it. Lets just hope it is ony a few seconds long.
Old 09-02-03, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the DVD will be superb but to see on the big screen will be awesome..thanks for posting this. Would have missed out otherwise..heard nothing on it at all before here!
Old 09-02-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by raiders757
This is sad, I'm sorry, but I hope I can get a coppy[sic] of the DVD without this crap on it? It makes me sad to think they need to push it on the MTV(sheep) crowd to make an extra $. Makes me not want ot buy it, but I have no choice, if I want it. Lets just hope it is ony a few seconds long.
Wait, what you've quoted is the release of a CD that is not part of the DVD collection. Unless you're talking about the documentary, which isn't a few seconds long. It's 20 minutes, as stated in the original post. And having the doc on there isn't forcing them to cut a DTS track. The transfer won't suffer (it's a 2-discer). I can understand complaining about what isn't on something, but now complaining about what is? So what if some DVDs have fluff. I'd rather have the fluff with everything else and still great audio and video quality than nothing at all. I mean, it's an extra. They're not forcing you to view it.

K
Old 09-02-03, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if any good buzz associated with the LOTR Re-Releases helped influence this?
Old 09-02-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if they're gonna turn up the DTS to drown out the roomful of rappers...

*ducks*

K
Old 09-02-03, 11:18 PM

I'm sure all the rappers love you guys too
Old 09-03-03, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Wait, what you've quoted is the release of a CD that is not part of the DVD collection. Unless you're talking about the documentary, which isn't a few seconds long. It's 20 minutes, as stated in the original post. And having the doc on there isn't forcing them to cut a DTS track. The transfer won't suffer (it's a 2-discer). I can understand complaining about what isn't on something, but now complaining about what is? So what if some DVDs have fluff. I'd rather have the fluff with everything else and still great audio and video quality than nothing at all. I mean, it's an extra. They're not forcing you to view it.

K
Woops, I did credit the wrong thing. My bad. As long as it doesn't cut into the quality of the movie you are right, I do not have to watch it. I guess I'm saying, that putting on a hip hop documentary, seems to me like they think they need to promote this to the MTV/Hip Hop crowd to sell more, just because a bunch of Hip Hop stars always like to brag about thier copy of Scarface on DVD, when they apear on MTV cribs. That's all the Hip Hop album is, is a promotion for the movie. I guees I'm just getting a little(well a lot) sick of this Hip Hop fad being forced into my unwanting ears everywhere I turn. I am glad this time I have the option to not have to hear it, or see it, unless they put one of the songs on the menu screen.

I just don't want to see a great movie like Scarface become tainted, because it became a fad of the over commercialized Hip Hop culture. That will scar it for life.
Old 09-03-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raiders757
I just don't want to see a great movie like Scarface become tainted, because it became a fad of the over commercialized Hip Hop culture. That will scar it for life.
Couldn't agree with you more. This whole hip hop facet of the Scarface following distorts from the feel and idea behind the true essense of the film, especially since it is about the Latin perspective, the cocaine underworld, and the lifestyle of certain Cuban immigrants in the 1980s, not an African American look on the ghetto and rap, and bling bling whatever. Doesn't suprise me one bit that DePalma wanted nothing to do with the Jay-Z rap soundtrack for the film, as well as the documentaries such as "Origins of a Hip Hop Classic". Give me a break! But, this is 2003, and of course, studios want the green, and they'll take it at any cost.
Old 09-03-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
This seems like pretty short notice.
I think it was a last-minute decision, because it was scheduled for a few showings last week as part of the Film Society of Lincoln Center's "Widescreen Series" at the Walter Reade Theater, but got pulled at the last minute. Now we know why....

http://filmlinc.com/wrt/update/update.htm

Last edited by marty888; 09-03-03 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 11:08 AM

As long as they don't replace the soundtrack in the movie with a new hip-hop one I'm happy.
Old 09-18-03, 02:42 PM
Banned

So what's the deal? it opens tomorrow and there are 0 listings for NYC right now. I'd like to go see it.
Old 09-18-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
So what's the deal? it opens tomorrow and there are 0 listings for NYC right now. I'd like to go see it.
Head to 42nd Street, the AMC Theater....

http://www.movietickets.com/movie_de...earchRadius=40

(There was a full-page color ad in last Sunday's Arts & Leisure section of the NY Times.)
Old 09-18-03, 03:10 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. There's been nothing on 777film until now...and they only list the 24/25 of sept. Very weird.
Old 09-18-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had the same problem trying to find showtimes in NYC.

Stupid internet.