Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Step into Liquid (Spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-02-03, 04:46 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone seen this yet?

I watched it this weekend and had a blast. It was just amazing to see the size of some of the waves these guys and girls surfed on. And the new gear that they used for high wind conditions was not only inspired but jaw-droppingly amazing to watch.

It does get a little repetitive at times, but then they start showing the surfers doing even more dangerous (or more outlandish) stuff and you're just staring at the screen in disbelief again.

I had two main problems with the film: I thought the Vietnam sequence should have been edited better or placed somewhere else in the film as it really slowed down the pace of the film and didn't add too much that wasn't already covered (and more compellingly) by the Ireland footage.

Also, I think it's a real shame they didn't (or couldn't) get a helicopter for the Cortez Banks footage (the 100 miles out to sea stuff that ends the film). Because all the footage was shot from jet skis in the water, it was hard to get a real sense of how far from any real shore they were, and you didn't get the sense of scale that you should have. It made the waves at Jaws almost seem larger.

Finally the Texas surfing was probably my favorite. That just cracked me up!

If you get a chance, go see this movie. 3.5 out of 4 stars.
Old 09-02-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Man, I really should have heeded to the spoiler warning.. Now I know they surf in texas. sucks man. ruined forever.

Old 09-02-03, 06:09 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Man, I really should have heeded to the spoiler warning.. Now I know they surf in texas. sucks man. ruined forever.

Not sure if you've seen the film or not, but you do understand that the surfing in TX I'm talking about is not happenning using waves coming into a shore, right?

The stuff in the Great Lakes was funny too.
Old 09-02-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, here's where I was surfng this past weekend, and it's in Texas. While it's not as consistant as other places, we've got several excellent spots along the Gulf Coast.

This is by the Flagship Hotel Pier on the seawall in Galveston, Tx.