Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Madden Challenge Minnesota

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-02-03, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had an interesting time this weekend. After getting to the mall of america at 8:30 I don’t get my first game in until 11:30. I run with my fins and win four games 90-21 to advance to the round of 32. Right now I am feeling good and since I didn’t expect to make it this far I don’t feel any pressure. I win my next 2 matches and reach the quarterfinals where I play someone who uses the falcons. I already beat 3 people who used the falcons and expected the same style of play from this guy and I was right meaning early and often of michael vick.

I get the ball first and give ricky the rock early, my opponent ran a quarters defense and shifted his backs but there was no stopping my back. I ran the first quarter out and gave the ball back to him with 1:30 left on the clock in the second quarter after a ricky williams td. Score 7-0. He gets the ball and first play he tries to scramble with vick, he doesn’t know that no one is runnin away from Jason taylor and I sack him for a big loss. He tries this 2 more times and throws incomplete passes. I get the ball back but don’t score so at the end of the first half the score is still 7-0. He gets the ball and this time he tries running dunn up the middle but I stop him for a minimal game. The next play I sack him again for a big loss. 3rd down he gets away from my rush and heaves a bomb up to price who is one on one with sammy knight but he catches and gets loose for a 70 yard td. Score 7-7. I get the ball back and am driving down the field with ricky yet again. I get all the way to his 20 yard line when ricky decides to fumble and he recovers. Next play he drops back, rolls out and gets sacked at the 5 yard line, next play vick gets hit and fumbles the ball and taylor lands on the ball for an easy td. Score 14-7. He gets the ball back and he cant get anything going but goes for it on 4th and I stop him, I figure the game is in the bag. I am driving down with ricky and am in a 4th and 2 situation on his 39 yard line. I didn’t think I could make the 56 yard fg with mare so and havent had that much trouble running the ball so I go to konrad this time but he stuffs him an gets the ball back with 20 seconds left. After a couple plays there is 3 seconds left and he is on his 50 yard line. He stays in the pocket this time so taylor or ogunleye cant get him and bombs a ball to price near the end zone, he catches the ball at the 2, runs over sammy knight and goes into the end zone for a td. What started as my 3 friends and his 3 friends watching the game changed to a mob of people around 75 all yelling as they were just as in shock as I was. I knew what was coming next since this guy like to talk and he goes lets finish this now and goes for the 2pt conversion. I say ok lets do it and next play I almost get to vick but he gets it to dunn who scores. Final score 14-15.

Everyone goes wild again not believing what they just saw and I just set my controller down, shake his hand and walk off as he celebrates. Me and my friends were standing there just speechless for a good five minutes. People were coming up to me after the game saying you were the better player and he shouldn’t have won the game. It hurts to know you totally held a player in check all game then have it come down to 2 fluky long tds to take it all away. It hurt more because when I got to the final 32 I was just happy to be there but when I kept winning my confidence just kept getting larger and larger to the point I started to believe I could actually win this thing. It was fun having my friends there who started joking saying ‘ya were goin to las Vegas’ and stuff and I joked around with them and my friends who werent playing in the tourny cuz they had to move in to college were calling for updates and they were just as excited for me to go far as i was. i thought that was really cool. I didn’t stay to watch the championship cuz I had to move into my dorm for college. My parents were mad at first when I came home all late when I said I would be home earlier but when they found out how well I did they were happy for me and said I could move in the next day. Anyone else go to the Minnesota challenge or have any stories from past ones?
Old 09-02-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And thats the reason Madden is still way too arcadey of a game for me Way too many fumbles/picks/huge 70yd passes that shouldnt be possible.
Anyways, we tried talking my neighbor into going to the Green Bay one with us, since he rules at the game, but none of us went. I never knew this thing existed until saturday evening.
Old 09-02-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Dude, you must rock at the game. Sucks that you got so close....did you win any prize at all for being somewhat close? I wish I had the guts to enter the challenge, lol, but I'd probably lose quick

Good luck next time around.
Old 09-02-03, 12:37 PM

ya it sucks, nobody won anything except for the winner of the tourney who got a free trip to vegas with the 31 other winners, that would have been so cool, oh well there is always next year
Old 09-02-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tell your parents that you are in college, and you can come home after 11:30 if you feel like it