Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

latest bertolucci film to be censored???

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-01-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again, we are too immature and irresponsible to have a "risque" movie released in its entirety .....

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...px?news=132591

Latest Bertolucci Film May Be Cut in U.S.
Sep 1, 1:54 PM EST

Oscar-winning director Bernardo Bertolucci is worried that his sexually explicit new film "The Dreamers" might be cut in the United States out of concern it is too graphic for American audiences.

The film, presented Monday at the Venice Film Festival, is about three college students in 1968 Paris who engage in a claustrophobic love affair.

Bertolucci said his U.S. distributor, Fox Searchlight, is concerned the film may get the dreaded NC-17 rating, which is the equivalent of an X-rating and typically reduces audiences considerably.

"The film risks coming out in the United States amputated and mutilated," the Italian director said. "Perhaps someone thinks that the U.S. public is too immature to see this."

Efforts to reach Fox Searchlight for comment were unsuccessful when calls to its Los Angeles offices went unanswered on the Labor Day holiday.

The American co-star, Michael Pitt, said explicit shots — including his full-frontal nudity — shouldn't be an issue. He argued that U.S. viewers would not be offended by the movie.

"They're not going to be given the opportunity to be offended, which I'm offended by," he said. "What they're afraid of is that the youth would accept it if given the opportunity."

Youth is at the center of "The Dreamers," which tells the story of a young American student (Pitt) who moves in with a Parisian brother and sister whose wild lifestyle changes him. The love triangle is framed by their obsession with movies — but is initially untouched by the social uprising that shook Europe in 1968.

The film may appeal most to the 1960s protest generation but Bertolucci said the work was aimed at today's young.

"I asked myself, 'Why not tell this story to the kids of today, whose parents have censored this period because they consider it a failure?'" Bertolucci said.

The director, whose 1986 film "The Last Emperor" won nine Oscars, has faced controversy before over sexually charged films. His 1972 work "Last Tango in Paris," starring Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider, initially had distribution trouble and ended up a critical success.

Also Monday, the makers of "Imagining Argentina," starring Antonio Banderas and Emma Thompson, had the task of defending their film after one of the worst receptions yet at the festival.

The film, which was loudly booed during the press screening, deals with Argentina's 1976-83 military dictatorship, when authorities tortured and murdered thousands of people.

In the movie, Thompson is kidnapped by the military and her husband (Banderas) gains supernatural powers to "see" what is happening to her and other victims. The magical and melodramatic elements seemed to have troubled many viewers.

Director Christopher Hampton said that above all the aim is to educate people about this appalling period in Argentina.

"Whatever people think about the film, people need to talk about this issue," he said. "This is a wound, and if you deal with an open wound, people are going to react in a very tender fashion, so it's not surprising."

Thompson said some audiences like the film.

"I think there was always going to be a great deal of different kinds of responses," she said. "When you're dealing with a subject that is so tricky, such as state-sponsored torture, and mixing it with magical realism, you're stepping a fine line."

Also Monday, the Italian producer Dino De Laurentiis was being honored with a Golden Lion award for career achievement. Among his numerous films, De Laurentiis produced Federico Fellini's "La Dolce Vita" (1960); Sidney Lumet's "Serpico" (1973); and Ridley Scott's "Hannibal" (2001).

Films competing for the festival's Golden Lion for best film included "Zatoichi" by director Takeshi Kitano; "Floating Landscape" by Carol Lai Miu Suet; and "Code 46" by Michael Winterbottom. Awards are handed out at the end of the 11-day festival on Saturday.

i hope this doesn't happen (obviously) but knowing our history, it probably will.
Old 09-01-03, 03:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't see where the U.S. government is going to cut the movie.
Old 09-01-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
What I don't understand is this idea that by giving a film an NC-17 rating, that 'forces' the film makers to 'censor' their films. Seeing as the United States seems to have decided that the R-rating does not mean 'For Adults', then why should 'Adult' films be given that rating.

I keep thinking that someday there will be some film to push through the NC-17 barrier. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the third Lord of the Rings movie was rated NC-17 (no need to point out how ridiculous that staement is). I am certain that most theater chains would flip on their no NC-17 film policy. If high profile, finanically successful films were made with the NC-17 rating, I'm sure the stigma attached to them would soon be overcome.

I hope this is on topic. The Dreamers sounds interesting. I hope I get a chance to see it in all it's full frontal male nudity glory.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 09-01-03 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-01-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I keep thinking that someday there will be some film to push through the NC-17 barrier. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the third Lord of the Rings movie was rated NC-17 (no need to point out how ridiculous that staement is). I am certain that most theater chains would flip on their no NC-17 film policy.
Think so?

Spielberg was damn pissed off over the idea that Saving Private Ryan, the biggest film released in 1998, winner of a boatload of Oscars, almost unanimously adored - would get a death-dealing NC-17. Dreamworks had to do a bit of lobbying on that one. When you think about it - why? In case youngsters, imitating the violence they see on screen, decide to go and invade France in a daring frontal assault?

I can understand violence that can be easily misunderstood and imitated, but SAVING PRIVATE RYAN?

I don't see what Bertie's fuming about though. It would get a marginal theater release anyway, and would make its money in the home video market, which is a lot kinder to R-pushing material.
Old 09-02-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I don't see where the U.S. government is going to cut the movie.
Been reading too many of those "Jackskeleton on Censorship rant" threads again?