Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Johnny Depp has an excellent chance of getting a Best Actor nom

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-01-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

......for his role as the corrupt CIA agent in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". He's winning raves up and down at Venice.

What, you thought I was talking about Pirates of the Caribbean?!?
Old 09-01-03, 12:48 PM

don't bet on it. i thought he should of got one for fear and loathing which was his best performance ever.
Old 09-01-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a shame he never got a nod for Fear and Loathing. he's an actor that deserves one.
Old 09-01-03, 02:53 PM
Banned

Huh? Anyway, Johnny Depp should of been nominated for Blow as well as Fear & Loathing. He'll get his nom eventually, but I really don't think you need one of those golden trophys to prove you are an excellent actor.
Old 09-01-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
Huh? Anyway, Johnny Depp should of been nominated for Blow as well as Fear & Loathing. He'll get his nom eventually, but I really don't think you need one of those golden trophys to prove you are an excellent actor.
Truly a great perfromance in Blow.
Old 09-01-03, 03:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think he has a better chance of being nominated for Pirates than for Mexico this year.
Old 09-01-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the better actors out there,he's doing fine as is with out a Oscar and he dont need one,just keep putting out kick a$$ movies.
Old 09-01-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
He's billed third. Even if he has a lot of screen time, his nomination would more likely be for Best Supporting Actor.
Old 09-01-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl
He's billed third. Even if he has a lot of screen time, his nomination would more likely be for Best Supporting Actor.
I'm sure that won't make much of a difference. After all, that never inhibited anyone from getting nominated for Best Actress
Old 09-01-03, 08:02 PM

Depp has done more than enough movie's and a lot of them should of gathered him a nomination, but never do.
Old 09-01-03, 10:38 PM

i don't know why the academy doesn't recognize his work. he's truly on par with crowe and hanks. blow, pirates, fear and loathing, sleepy hollow were all great performances. if denzel can get one traininig day which wasn't his best work depp should at least get a nomination.
Old 09-02-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Depp deserves a nomination. But, I have always felt "deserves" was only about a 1/3 of what was needed to win. That's a shame.
Old 09-02-03, 06:59 AM

Depp is one of the finest actors out there and can do almost any range and he has proven that. Actors like Crowe and other's haven't - yet they get awards. I don't quite understand it..Look at Depp's list..

Nightmare on Elm Street - Fine performance.

Edward Sissorhands - A damn amazing performance.

Ed Wood - Name one other actor who could of done this one? Brave move also , both for Depp and Burton!

Sleepy Hollow - Easily the best part of the flick. When all else suffered, he kept goin'.

Pirates - At first I wasn't too sure about his performance , but it grew on me pretty fast.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Easily Depp's finest performance and I can't picture anyone else doin' that role justice.

Blow - Heart felt and very well done.

The list goes on and on (The Ninth Gate / Chocolat / From Hell).
Old 09-02-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
Depp is one of the finest actors out there and can do almost any range and he has proven that. Actors like Crowe and other's haven't - yet they get awards. I don't quite understand it..Look at Depp's list..

Nightmare on Elm Street - Fine performance.

Edward Sissorhands - A damn amazing performance.

Ed Wood - Name one other actor who could of done this one? Brave move also , both for Depp and Burton!

Sleepy Hollow - Easily the best part of the flick. When all else suffered, he kept goin'.

Pirates - At first I wasn't too sure about his performance , but it grew on me pretty fast.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Easily Depp's finest performance and I can't picture anyone else doin' that role justice.

Blow - Heart felt and very well done.

The list goes on and on (The Ninth Gate / Chocolat / From Hell).
Completely agree with you about Depp....he is an excellent actor and one of my favorites. I disagree with you about Crowe. No range? He played a non-stereotypical "average Joe" gay guy in "The Sum of Us" and then played a vicious skinhead in "Romper Stomper". The guy does have range.
Old 09-02-03, 08:22 AM

Maybe, I just don't care for Crowe or his performance's. Still, it's a crime that Depp has not been noticed for his many peformances by the academy. Sure, the awards don't make a great actor , but it does show a lot of respect for their work.

Personally, I think Depp will once again be ignored by the Academy and yet another year will go by where Depp doesn't receive proper respect for his performances.
Old 09-02-03, 10:01 AM

don't foget benny and joon........not his best work but not too shabby either........it's one of my sinful pleasures
Old 09-02-03, 11:54 AM
Banned

While I agree that Depp is a great actor and should of been nominated and such I don't think he did anything spectacular this year to garner a nomination. Maybe next year.
Old 09-02-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't forget one of my favorites, Deadman.
Old 09-02-03, 02:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
While I agree that Depp is a great actor and should of been nominated and such I don't think he did anything spectacular this year to garner a nomination.
You've seen Once Upon a Time in Mexico?
Old 09-02-03, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Cusm
Don't forget one of my favorites, Deadman.
And let's not forget 21 Jumpstreet
Old 09-02-03, 04:02 PM

I think he's more likely to get a Golden Globe nomination than one for an Academy Award
Old 09-02-03, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Good point, javanut, he will certainly get the best actor in a comedy nomination this year at the globes, maybe even win it? I doubt it will translate into an oscar nomination though, they tend to prefer nominating the thespians.

I scrolled through the oscarwatch list, looking for all the standout comedies coming out in a few months.. Here are some other possibilities in that category, best actor in a comedy (hey, I'm bored, cut me some slack ) -- Paul Giamatti - American Splender, Bill Murray - Lost in Translation, George Clooney - Intolerable Cruelty, Ewan McGregor - Big Fish, Bob Downey Jr - Singing Detectives.. I haven't seen any of those movies, so I don't know how they'd compare to Depp's work in Pirates. I can't see him winning though if Murray is nominated.. his nomination and possible win will most likely translate into an oscar nomination, especially after the Rushmore snub. Oscars sometimes give one slot to comedy anyway.
Old 09-03-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... maybe his chances are going to go up since he made these comments. worked for moore

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/2452330/detail.html

Johnny Depp Likens U.S. To An Agressive, 'Dumb Puppy'
Actor Discusses America's Conflict With France Over Iraqi War

POSTED: 9:46 a.m. PDT September 3, 2003
UPDATED: 10:13 a.m. PDT September 3, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- Actor Johnny Depp likened the United States to a "dumb puppy that has big teeth" in an interview published Wednesday, ridiculing Washington's confrontation with France, where he lives, over the war in Iraq.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star -- who spends much of his time in the south of France with his companion, Vanessa Paradis, and their two children -- told a German magazine he couldn't see himself paying more than short visits to his Los Angeles residence in the present political climate.

"America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth -- that can bite and hurt you, aggressive," Depp was quoted as saying.

Depp recalled that French fries were renamed "Freedom fries" in the House cafeteria on Capitol Hill at the height of U.S. anger over France's refusal to back the administration of President Bush over the war in Iraq.

"Nothing made me happier than when I read that -- grown men and grown women in positions of power in the United States government," Depp said. "I was ecstatic because they revealed themselves as idiots."

Depp said he wanted his two children, ages 1 and 4, to experience the United States "like it's a kind a toy -- a broken toy maybe. Investigate a little bit, check it out, get this feeling and then get out."

Depp recently starred in the Disney blockbuster "Pirates of the Caribbean" and can next be seen in the film "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" which opens in theaters on Sept. 12.
Old 09-03-03, 02:05 PM

Well, I hope what he said doesn't affect his Hollywood career.

Anyway, where can one see 21 Jumpstreet these days? I miss it.
Old 09-03-03, 02:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a Golden Globe nod is sealed up. The Academy will be harder to convince. I don't put much stock into the awards they give out, but I'm guessing they may feel PotC was a little too popcorn for a nod. Still, if Tommy Lee Jones could win for Fugitive and Jack Palance for City Slickers, I'd say Depp may have a shot at a Supporting Actor nod for PotC. I'd love to see it myself.

Depp is the only A-list actor in Hollywood that I really look forward to seeing in things. Well, I like John Cusack too. But that's about it. And I agree that he was robbed on F&LiLV, but the truth is that it was pretty much critically reviled at the time, and was a big underperformer at the box office. It's only been in recent years that people have finally begun to catch on to how funny the film/amazing his performance is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.