Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

macaulay culkin as lecter?!?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting "news" but not sure i believe it just yet!

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=15963

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! Macaulay Culkin to play a young Hannibal Lecter in THE LECTER VARIATION?!?!?
Hey folks, Harry here and there's something strange afoot at the Circle K methinks! In one of the weirdest and most bizarre career turns since Kurt Russell went from THE COMPUTER THAT WORE TENNIS SHOES to playing Charles Whitman on TV or Jodie Foster's going from FREAKY FRIDAY to TAXI DRIVER. It seems though this is all PARTY MONSTER's fault. Yep, the film that cast Culkin as the drug popping gay killer... well for Producers trying to find someone that can play Lecter from ages 12 to 25, apparently he seems... logical. Hmmm. Let's see if we can track Lecter's look if this goes through...
forgot the second link...

http://www.itv.com/news/721185.html

Culkin set to play Hannibal Lecter
14.20PM BST, 28 Aug 2003

Macaulay Culkin could be about to play a young Hannibal Lecter in a film about the serial killer's early life.

Producers are currently casting The Lecter Variation which follows the character - famous for tucking into some fava beans and a nice glass of Chianti - from the age of 12 to 25.

They think the Home Alone star would be the perfect choice after seeing him play a drug-taking gay killer in his new film Party Monster.

But if Macaulay takes the role he will have a job to fill Sir Anthony Hopkins' shoes.

In 1991, Hopkins won an Academy award for his portrayal of the bloodthirsty cannibal Dr Hannibal Lecter in the Silence of the Lambs.

Last edited by hgar78; 09-01-03 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-01-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Lector's gay?
Old 09-01-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whiule I can picture Culkin looking like Lechter, with the slicked back hair and the perpetual malocchio, I'm not cetain he has the chops to bring the character to life more than just an imitation of Hopkins. Time will tell, I suppose. The only real acting I've seen him do is when he was the evil kid horsing around with the kid who's a Hobbit now. Maybe he's one of those child stars that goes on to a great career as an adult as well.

Honk!
Old 09-01-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Culkin is still making movies?

And that movie where he was an evil kid was unrealistic...Elijah Wood could kick his ass.
Old 09-01-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will his parents still get to fight over his paychecks?
Old 09-01-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
The only real acting I've seen him do is when he was the evil kid horsing around with the kid who's a Hobbit now.
that's what i'm wondering. party monster has been sitting around for a while now without distribution. (i think, but didn't it play some festivals?) makes me question it's quality. plus, we haven't seen anything else he's done as an adult, party monster was supposed to be his big comeback!
Old 09-01-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even if this movie gets made I have zero interest in seeing it. It's not from any material by Thomas Harris, plus I just don't care for Macaulay Culkin. Red Dragon was barely watchable for me so I don't care to submit myself to any further torture at Dino DeLaurentiis's hands.
Old 09-01-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Producers are currently casting The Lecter Variation which follows the character - famous for tucking into some fava beans and a nice glass of Chianti - from the age of 12 to 25.
They should have started shooting this about 10 years or so ago, when Culkin was actually 12, and then continued a little at a time as he got older.

I wonder if he gets to make his parents disappear in this film too.
Old 09-01-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm....

I always thought that kid was weird...

Jason
Old 09-01-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Aren't the two other Culkin's more talented?
Old 09-01-03, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by UAIOE
Culkin is still making movies?...
I think the real question is: Hollywood is still making Hannibal movies?
Old 09-01-03, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I heard about that a while back.
Old 09-01-03, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Even if this movie gets made I have zero interest in seeing it. It's not from any material by Thomas Harris, plus I just don't care for Macaulay Culkin. Red Dragon was barely watchable for me so I don't care to submit myself to any further torture at Dino DeLaurentiis's hands.
I totally agree. The only Lecter movie I would go to would be a sequel that takes place after Hannibal. Red Dragon sucked. Dino Delaurentis needs to move on and find some new books or scripts to develop.
Old 09-01-03, 06:16 PM

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts
Wow - this has bad idea written all over it.
Old 09-01-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dino is obsessed with his money making machine - and the Hannibal character, even though he really was a minor / supporting character in ManHunter / Silence of the Lambs. That's why Hannibal wasn't near as good, it took a minor character and tried to push it on for over two hours (I didn't care for the book either). Then of course, after Manhunter got some much-belated popularity, Dino jumped on the wagon and made a remake , where he once again made Hannibal a bigger character than he needed to be.
Old 09-03-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Hmm, when I saw this, first thing I thought of was the Good Son and how evil he was in that. Maybe I'm forgetting things in my old age. I do remember it was the second movie my (now) wife saw together. The first was In the Line of Fire.

They need to make my idea to tie up the Hannibal franchise.
It would be a dual storyline thing like Godfather II. It would follow Graham's pursuit of Lecter, the end of which we saw in Red Dragon, and the parallel would be Clarice finally snapping and going on a manhunt to kill Lector once and for all.
Old 09-03-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off topic... Does he play a killer who's gay, or a killer of gays?
Old 09-03-03, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Hmm, when I saw this, first thing I thought of was the Good Son and how evil he was in that. Maybe I'm forgetting things in my old age. I do remember it was the second movie my (now) wife saw together. The first was In the Line of Fire.

They need to make my idea to tie up the Hannibal franchise.
It would be a dual storyline thing like Godfather II. It would follow Graham's pursuit of Lecter, the end of which we saw in Red Dragon, and the parallel would be Clarice finally snapping and going on a manhunt to kill Lector once and for all.
Not a bad Idea.The Graham story is told to death though. I would have the childhood lecter story tie in with a story line that would take place 5 years after Hannibal.
Old 09-04-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that, if written in a poignant note, the story of a would-be serial killer/cannibal from the point of innocence to the point of corruption - as would be the ages between 12 and 25 - would be very insightful and educational. After all, the movies we see that are about serial killers - we see them as they are, but never as they were. What makes a serial killer? Are they born that way, or is it conditional to their environment/upbringing? It will be very interesting, if the film is done well, to see the birth of madness.
Old 09-04-03, 02:43 PM

call me crazy, but I think Mac could be a really good actor, I like his brother Kieran in movies, only time will tell

this movie specifically imo is a bad idea, I haven't really been a fan of the whole series of movies so far
Old 09-04-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought SNL's take on it was kinda amusing: Lector's College Years with Matt Damon as Lector.
Old 09-04-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait to see what he does to Marv and Harry!
Old 09-04-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: macaulay culkin as lecter?!?

You mean he's not rumored to play Batman?
Old 09-05-03, 12:51 AM

I may be the only one, but I would really interested to see that. Culkin in his major league return tries to tackle one of the greatest dark characters of all time...

Whether you like it or not, the buzz that would surround the project if it did happen would be pretty huge...

I'm a big Mac fan, am interested by him (as I am of most "mega stars who go fade away) and I've been hoping for a couple of years that he has a career renaissance. I hope nothing but the best for him.
Old 09-05-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Off topic... Does he play a killer who's gay, or a killer of gays?
I think he plays a gay man, who kills a drug dealer to whom he owes money. Not sure if the dealer is gay as well.

If he does playa young Lechter, he'll have to say, "I ate his liver, with jellybeans and a nice YooHoo."

Honk!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.