Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone Catch the Debut of "Freshmen Diaries?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone Catch the Debut of "Freshmen Diaries?"

This is going to be a great show. It's on Showtime. Premiered last night. It's basically like the show "American High" but more to certain extremes due to kids being in college and some having more pressure or stress due to school, friends, and family.

I particularly like it because I'm of the age group, so I can relate to it now. But I'm surprised these shows aren't done more. It would seem teenagers and young adults would gravitate to it more because it's totally about them and they can relate to these people.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, they give 12 incoming freshmen at Univerisity of Texas a camera. They record diaries in it every day and also a cameraman follows them around. But they are each individualized so it's not like one camera following around 6 of the students at a time.
Old 09-01-03, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it. They should have made this show a hour instead of 30 minutes. It looks like they just jump ahead in time without giving any indication of how far, which I don't like. The girl failed her first test, so it was probably atleast a month. It is too many people to try and cram into 30 minutes.
Old 09-01-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Blaster...

I agree, but I think they'll do is just focus on two or three kids per episode. In the show, they focused on that girl casey...that sexually confused guy...and the guy with his two friends...
Old 09-01-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any repeats, I missed it last night.
Old 09-01-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
any repeats, I missed it last night.
Yeah, I missed it too, forgot it was on.

But, I'm really looking forward to it, I thought American High was one of the best reality/documentary series I had ever seen, looking forward to what they can do with the college life.
Old 09-02-03, 08:11 AM

Damn...I meant to catch it but forgot when it was going to be on.
Old 09-02-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Youth N Asia
Damn...I meant to catch it but forgot when it was going to be on.
If you have digital cable, it is listed on the On Demand feature. We have Comcast in Phila, I'm not sure if it applies to other systems...
Old 09-03-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clemente
But, I'm really looking forward to it, I thought American High was one of the best reality/documentary series I had ever seen, looking forward to what they can do with the college life.
American High was amazing. Hopefully we'll see it on DVD one of these days.
Old 09-03-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I caught it the other night and was disappointed. I'll probably watch it at least a couple more times though because they do focus on only 2 or 3 students per show.

It's not a bad show but they skipped so far ahead in time. I think for the first show they could've just stuck with the first couple of days. The only thing that really stuck out to me about the first episode was that girl's overbearing dad. I would love to see his reaction to watching himself on the show. I bet he doesn't realize how bad he sounds. She has no interest in computers and she's going to be a computer science major? I enjoy computers and I hated computer science classes!
Old 09-05-03, 09:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I also caught it last night, and wasn't impressed at all.. Given Showtime's recent track record (Dead Like Me, Family Business, etc), I was hoping for another hit. But the characters just don't do much for me, and the drama seems kinda dull. I'll probably also give it another shot this week and see if it gets any better.