Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is The King Of Horror -- Vincent Price -- Represented Well In Your DVD Library?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....And what do you feel is the best Vincent Price picture?

Do you like him chomping on the scenery? Or in a more subtle role?

I'd vote for Pit And The Pendulum as one of the best and eerie Price films. Also: House On Haunted Hill and The Web (1947 with Edmond O'Brien). "The Web", unfortunately isn't out on DVD or Video.

Old 08-29-03, 07:00 PM

Anybody have this Price Triple Feature? It's on the Wal-Mart website (in the $5.88 e-bin). Can't seem to locate it elsewhere. Wondered what the specs & PQ might be like on this one. (Nice-looking cover, IMO.) .......

Old 08-29-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have The Bat and The House on Haunted Hill double feature from the Roan Group and The Pit and the Pendulum and the Fall of the House of Usher. I may get House of Wax at some point.

For some strange reason the Invisible Man Returns is my favorite Price movie. Maybe because it was early in his career before he started overacting in every role.

Last edited by darkside; 08-29-03 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all 18 Vincent Price films in MGM's Midnite Movies series (10 of them are on double feature discs), and also The Song of Bernadette and Edward Scissorhands.

My favorite would probably be The Fall of the House of Usher.
For campy fun, I also like Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 08-29-03 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I am planning on watching Witdhfinder General(R4) very soon along with the new MGM discs.How about the Dr. Phibes movies?
Old 08-29-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sadly, Vincent Price is not well represented in my collection. The only one I have is the House on Haunted Hill / Last Man on Earth double feature from Diamond. There are tons that I would love to have though, especially House of Wax and The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
Old 08-29-03, 07:47 PM

I've got all that are available on DVD. I really like my R2 version of Witchfinder General that I bought from Blackstar UK. It went out of print, but Backstar has it as a preorder for release on September 1st! It's £4.99 ~or~ $7.87.

The House of Wax has to be my holy grail DVD though!!!

I'm a HUGE VP Fan and have all of his books, many photos/posters/magazines & a cigarette lighter that was once owned by him.

I recently received a copy of a personal photo from his daughter Victoria, of Vincent and his dog lounging @ home. I had sent her book off for her to autograph and she enclosed the picture! WAY COOL of her! She works for A&E.

I keep missing out on art from his Sears collection that are auctioned periodically though

davidvp: although I don't own the triple feature DVD, I do however own the individual discs. Last Man on Earth is kinda poor in terms of PQ, House on Haunted hill and The Bat are fair at best. I was terribly disappointed in the PQ of An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe (the flip side of Tomb of Ligeia). A better transfer exists, yet MGM chose the lesser quality!

Nice to see another VP fanatic!

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 08-29-03 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dr. Phibes duology is in my collection. That's it for right now.
Old 08-29-03, 09:05 PM
Rest in Peace

I liked him so much that in 1965 my parents gave me his Cookbook. 30 minuts later, at a not to well advertised book signing, I got Vincent Price to sign his cook book. "Treasury of Great Recipes" now more than 38 years old an 1st edition like new, autographed to John my first name and last name as C........! Someday it will be on e-bay for I have no sons or daughters to leave it to.
Old 08-29-03, 09:14 PM

I really like this photo of Vincent. Looks to be from the 1940s (a guess). Perfectly captures VP in a moody, halfway-menacing pose. (Almost looks 3-D if you stare at this photo long enough.) ........

Old 08-29-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I never thought of him as scary. Maybe he did too many Hollywood Square appearances. More the evil scientist type than master of scary ... if anything he seem to be a bit sickly looking.
Old 08-29-03, 09:23 PM

V. Price fans ....... In case you don't have it, www.shokus.com has a DVD with Vincent in a comic role on "The Jack Benny Program". A good volume.

Vincent also did the very same comedy bit on Benny's radio show in the '30s & '40s.

Which reminds me....Anybody ever hear Vincent in the outstanding rat-infested radio drama, Three Skeleton Key?

And there's also his fine radio series, The Saint.

A minor complaint about that Radio Spirits set is that it's mis-advertised as being ALL Vincent Price episodes of "The Saint". But several of the shows star Tom Conway instead (which made me . I'd rather have Mr. P.).
Old 08-29-03, 09:27 PM

I need a lot more of him and C.Lee. off the top of my head...I have the following:
  • Abominable Dr. Phibes
  • Comedy of Terrors/The Raven
  • Cry of the Banshee
  • Fall of the House of Usher
  • Haunted Palace/Tower of London
  • House of Wax
  • Pit and the Pendulum
  • Tomb of Ligeia/An Evening With EAP
  • Masque of Red Death
  • Oblong Box/Scream and Scream Again
  • Twice Told Tales

...and films like Ten Commandments, Edward S. and The Fly 1/2...thrown in for good measure. I plan on buying many more Price films including Witchfinder G.
Old 08-29-03, 09:28 PM

I never thought of him as scary. ... More the evil scientist type than master of scary.
I somewhat agree, Yankee. His "likeability" factor always seems to come through, no matter what evil deeds he's performed. However, the situations he's placed in are what's scary, not always him all by himself.

He's certainly not (was) as scary all by his lonesome as, say, Christopher Lee, who can really creep a person out on a dark, stormy night as the blood-dripping Count!

Vincent is more "eerie" than scary I would say. Plus, I suppose being in all those films regarded as "camp" didn't help his image as OVERLY-monstrous.
Old 08-29-03, 09:32 PM

Anyone have THIS?

Review(s)??

Old 08-29-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have many. Just got all the Midnite Movie double features just released, have the older ones too. Got House of Wax, and I guess that's about it. Just watched The Raven the other night.

Price rules.
Old 08-29-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Charming, debonair, and suave with a dash of evil---Who doesn’t like the prince of horror? I’ve got a few of his movies: The Tingler, House on Haunted Hill, and Dr. Phibes.
Old 08-29-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by davidvp
Anybody have this Price Triple Feature? It's on the Wal-Mart website (in the $5.88 e-bin). Can't seem to locate it elsewhere. Wondered what the specs & PQ might be like on this one. (Nice-looking cover, IMO.) .......

I have this one (Platinum) as well as Diamond's HoHH/LMoE double feature disc.

HoHH looks pretty good considering the price. Diamond's version is much better, IMO. As for Last Man On Earth... Both the Platinum and Diamond's discs use pitiful prints (and may have actually been the same). But this is the only way to get this film on disc so for the price it is worth getting now and if a proper release is ever done, $5.88 won't stop people from upgrading... and if a proper release DOESN'T materialize, then you've got the best there is.
Old 08-29-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Vinnie collection consists of:

The Tingler
House on Haunted Hill
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine
The Last Man on Earth
Tales of Terror

next week I'll be getting:
Comedy of Terrors/The Raven

Vincent Price and Lon Chaney are my favorite horror actors.
Old 08-29-03, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by davidvp
Anyone have THIS?

Review(s)??

Yes, I've got it and it's a must have for VP fans! It's an interview with David Del Valle and they discuss his film career with cuts to scenes from his films. There are other goodies included on this disc as well! There is a great easter egg that allows you to watch a portion of the interview outtakes, with VP watching his own films and his reactions.

Here's a Link to the DVD Talk Review.

Buy it, you'll like it!

Sonicflood
Old 08-29-03, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Sonicflood

Here's a Link to the DVD Talk Review.

Buy it, you'll like it!

Sonicflood
cool...I'll be picking this up.
Old 08-29-03, 11:57 PM

Yes indeedy....Thanks, Sonic! You're a flood of informative data!
Old 08-30-03, 12:01 AM

Regarding the "Sinister Image" disc......

There's also an "Escape" radio program with Price's performance in "Three Skeleton Key" (29 mins).
Now I know I must have it! "TSK" is a fine radio play.

Last edited by davidvp; 08-30-03 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 12:11 AM

Quote from Vincent .......

"I think the major thing in a spooky film, or thriller of any kind is logic. You must believe what is happening is happening. Even in something as far out as The Invisible Man. You MUST believe it. Because if you don't, there's no fright. It's what I think is wrong today with some of the fright films. They have no logic at all."
I'd agree with Mr. Price here.
However, I'm wondering if his "believe it at all costs" theory applies to The Tingler, one of the most ridiculous and far-fetched premises on which a Price film has ever been based.

(Fun flick though, in the finest form of William Castle gimmick pictures.)

"Only by screaming their lungs out can the victim keep at bay the parasites that seek to destroy them!" *

* Actual dialogue from "The Tingler" may vary.

Last edited by davidvp; 08-30-03 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like his role in Eddie Scissors. A great capstone to his career.

Anyone know if there's a good version of Last Man On Earth planned? Or if a superior version exists in another region? I really like "I Am Legend" but I've never seen Price's filmed version.

Have a gander at the film's poster. Very expressive, and suits the book's mood well.

Considering a few of those are public domain, Blue Underground should really take a stab at the poorly-treated titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.