Most DVD Viewers Watch the Ads

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IMDB... I hope advertisers don't try to jump on this like they did on ads before theatrical movies

Fifty-five percent of DVD buyers and renters watch the movie trailers included in them, suggesting to some analysts that DVDs might be used for other forms of advertising, the online Media Daily reported today (Thursday), citing a study from Knowledge Networks: How People Use VCRs, DVRs and DVDs. However, Jon Swallen, an analyst at Universal McCann, expressed skepticism. "The big caveat is that people are looking at movie ads. Transferring that and saying, 'Gee, I could put a Coca-Cola spot on there and it will work just as well,' probably isn't going to happen." Nevertheless, in its report, Media Daily commented: "Entertainment marketers, including TV networks, may have found a new best friend in DVDs."
Old 08-29-03, 01:04 PM

Terrible idea.

On a rental, I can see it, but if I pay for the movie, I don't even want trailers for other movies on there.
Old 08-29-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DemonDan
Terrible idea.

On a rental, I can see it, but if I pay for the movie, I don't even want trailers for other movies on there.
Hope you didn't pick up the new Animal House: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=313934
Old 08-29-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as there is a way to skip out of the ad, I don't mind if they put ads in. But if they force people to start watching the ads before they can watch the DVD, then I would think twice before buying the DVD.
Old 08-29-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Most DVD Viewers Watch the Ads

Originally posted by SideShow
From IMDB... I hope advertisers don't try to jump on this like they did on ads before theatrical movies

Fifty-five percent of DVD buyers and renters watch the movie trailers included in them, suggesting to some analysts that DVDs might be used for other forms of advertising, the online Media Daily reported today (Thursday), citing a study from Knowledge Networks: How People Use VCRs, DVRs and DVDs. However, Jon Swallen, an analyst at Universal McCann, expressed skepticism. "The big caveat is that people are looking at movie ads. Transferring that and saying, 'Gee, I could put a Coca-Cola spot on there and it will work just as well,' probably isn't going to happen." Nevertheless, in its report, Media Daily commented: "Entertainment marketers, including TV networks, may have found a new best friend in DVDs."
These are not even the same thing...someone who buys a DVD is obviously interested in the movie, show, or cast on the DVD. Many trailers are either releases for similar movies, similar shows, same/similar cast members, or at least 'If you like this, you might also like this.' Many of the trailers, at least for dvd releases, also discuss the dvd features, which the average consumer has no other source to find that info.

But to toss on a random commercial for Coke or whatever, that can't be skipped, is insulting.
Old 08-29-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Probably because most people don't realize they can skip right over.
Old 08-29-03, 01:25 PM
mwj

I like trailers. I hate forced trailers!
Old 08-29-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HUGE difference between watching trailers, and soda ads.
Old 08-29-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even BIGGER difference choosing to watch ads, being FORCED to watch them.
Old 08-29-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Wow I don't think I've ever watched an ad on my DVDs. The only time I've even noticed them is on Disney DVDs where you have to get through five or six of them to get to the movie. I hope we don't start seeing random ads on the DVDs, that's one of the reasons I stopped going to the cinema.
Old 08-29-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
It's especially annoying and deceptive when you press 'play movie' and previews show up. Even if you can skip it's still a royal nuisance being exposed to even one second of some of the crap that gets released. Certain films, especially classic or highly regarded ones, should not have any of this stuff attached in any way. They're like barnacles or leeches I want to scrape off and get rid of.

Whenever this happens on a favorite title, its depressing to realize this annoying junk will be there every time you want to watch the movie, burning itself with association into your mind for many years to come.

I'm sure it's only going to get worse though. Just more BS to deal with. Nothing like spending some time with my favorite movie trying to click through FBI warnings, copyright notices, disclaimers, animated menus, trailers, THX logos, movie studio logos, and the occassional emergency in-flight safety instruction.

Last edited by philo; 08-29-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mwj
I like trailers. I hate forced trailers!
Ditto.

I like trailers on DVDs. Let's face it - it's spare space and I've bought several DVDs that I wouldn't have bought otherwise because I'd seen a trailer for a film I'd never previously heard of (and they were great films too).

I've yet to experience forced trailers though - my multi-region Sony player has been modified so that all user prohibitions are disabled
Old 08-29-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its going to happen. They do it in front of movies at the theatres now, along with telling us all how piracy is killing the movie industry and they may do this as a way to combat piracy. Just a little food for thought.
Old 08-29-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Probably because most people don't realize they can skip right over.
That's what I was thinking-that or they don't know how to skip them.

I'll bet there are people who don't even use the menu button. They just pop the disc in, wait for the menu to automatically come up, and go from there. If they do use the menu button, they may only use it while the film or supplement they're watching is playing. As for chapter skip, there may be people who think that's just for when a film is playing and don't realize that a series of trailers is often encoded as a series of successive chapters.
Old 08-29-03, 06:33 PM
Banned

One thing I really really liked about laser disc was no trailers and you could forward past that FBI warning label too. it was perfect. I hate when I can't forward past a dvd opening screen or have to wait for the stupid dancing menu to stop playing before I have to hit play..

I like extras on a dvd but not forced on you. if it's going to be forced then it should be cheaper, or free. sorta like tshirts you get with cases of beer, I not paying to be a walking ad, so it better be free. Movie theaters are just crazy with ads anymore. you have to show up a 1hour before the film to get a good sit at a big ticket opening week movie then wait past 15mins of ads.
Old 08-29-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jarryjayo
Movie theaters are just crazy with ads anymore. you have to show up a 1hour before the film to get a good sit at a big ticket opening week movie then wait past 15mins of ads.
At United Artists Theaters, they now have some annoying program called "The Twenty" which is basically twenty minutes of ads for lame cable TV shows, Sprite and their music label. The best is they say "make sure you get to the theater early to catch 'The Twenty'!"
Old 08-29-03, 09:08 PM
Rest in Peace

Count me a never watch inferior to the DVD I am watching crapola
AKA trailers.
Old 08-29-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember when DVDs started getting trailers, and it pissed me off. I used to consider DVD to be like "owning" the movie. Owning the experiance. Of course, now that it's just VHS's replacement, it's really not a whole hell of a lot of anything.
Old 08-29-03, 10:02 PM

If it lowered the price of my purchase, I'd gladly sit through a commercial or two.
Old 08-29-03, 10:16 PM

Re: Most DVD Viewers Watch the Ads

Originally posted by SideShow
Fifty-five percent of DVD buyers and renters watch the movie trailers included in them, suggesting to some analysts that DVDs might be used for other forms of advertising, the online Media Daily reported today (Thursday), citing a study from Knowledge Networks: How People Use VCRs, DVRs and DVDs.
Ok, major question here, how did they define this question?

Because, I watch every trailer *for the movie I'm watching*, i.e. if I'm watching Terminator 2, I'll watch all the tv spots, movie trailers, radio ads, etc for T2 that they include on the disk.

I have *never* watched a single trailer for a *different* film in my life.

So, if they asked me "do you watch the trailers on dvd's", I'd probably answer yes, but I don't think that's what they're wanting.