Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Deal on Soul Calibur II at Best Buy (YMMV)!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so here it goes:

I went to Circuit City at opening time to get in on the SCII deal ($10 gc and free shirt). I was the first customer there. I asked an employee where I could find the game. He told me "UPS hasn't come in yet and it could be later in the afternoon." Ridiculous. When you advertise a product and state it will be available Friday, it should bloody be there for sale on that day. So I said, "forget this, I don't need the shirt that badly." I then proceeded to Best Buy with CC's ad in hand. I asked them to match the deal (sans t-shirt)...he checked with his manager or something and gave the o.k.. At this point I asked about the controller deal in addition to what I was getting. no dice...they wouldn't go for it. I go up to the counter with the yellow slip the he filled out ($39.99 for the game + $10 for the gift card). The cashier was about to grab a gc on the counter when I realised I should get one from the video game section instead ( it has the $5 off coupon in it, remember?). Ran back, grabbed one and he started to ring it up. I then produced a previous $5 coupon I got a couple of days ago, one I was meaning to use at CC ( a thousand curses upon them).

So here is how it rung up:

$39.99 SCII
-$5.00 coupon
+10.00 gc
$44.99 subtotal

total with 6% MI tax (i'd rather be in Portland,OR at this point)=

$47.09

Not bad considering that you get $5 off coupon in addition to a $10 gc. I think I'll use it toward Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I hope some of you will get to take advantage of this deal! Good luck!
Old 08-29-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Good Deal on Soul Calibur II at Best Buy (YMMV)!!

Originally posted by claweight
I went to Circuit City at opening time to get in on the SCII deal ($10 gc and free shirt). I was the first customer there. I asked an employee where I could find the game. He told me "UPS hasn't come in yet and it could be later in the afternoon."
Same situation here, though the manager I spoke with went ahead and gave me a t-shirt anyway, even with no game in sight.
Old 08-29-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i went in a little later, knowing that circuit city never have the stuff out on the shelves on time.

sure enough, two hours after they opened, i stroll into the video game dept to see an employee putting the soul caliber into anti--theft devices

btw, game rocks! (gc)
Old 08-30-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The CC in Union Square in NYC only had the PS2 version. They said that they didn't receive any other versions. That's ridiculous.
Old 08-30-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by db27
i went in a little later, knowing that circuit city never have the stuff out on the shelves on time.

sure enough, two hours after they opened, i stroll into the video game dept to see an employee putting the soul caliber into anti--theft devices

btw, game rocks! (gc)
If I understood the girl right at the local CC, the shirts may have come and gone earlier in the week ??? before SC arrived on Friday afternoon -- they had only just put them out a little before I got there this evening. I was still able to get the card, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra driving for no shirt.
Old 08-30-03, 07:23 AM

well i took an early lunch and went to the cc about 15min from work, got there at 10am and no game, so i had them call the store on my way home from work and they had'nt received there shipment as well, so i told them to put a game a shirt an a gift on hold and i'll be back tomorrow and they said they can't do it, so where's the mgr i ask.

well she comes up and before she can say a word i tell here i know the games are'nt in, i just took an early lunch to get here to get this game and shirt deal and since your store is in the opposite direction from where i drive i won't be back today, so i need you to call the cc store thats on my way home and have them put a game a shirt and a card on hold and i'll pick it up on the way home from work, so she does and they did, she also put one on hold there just in case the other store screws it up.

btw, i got the game (GC for pro scan) the shirt and the card after work.

Last edited by psxfan2; 08-30-03 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-30-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got a $50 gift certificate for talking to the guy from Cogent (I'm the I/T guy by default) and marched into BB w/the CC ad. The manager wouldn't honor the deal, saying it was against BB policy--everywhere. Walked out and drove 5 miles to another BB, and not only did they do it, they let me use the $5 off coupon and gave me the $10 gamers gift card. I wanted to throw the receipt in the face of the other BB manager, but I didn't want to get they good one in trouble, just in case it is against policy.
Old 08-30-03, 09:22 AM

kromax, good for you...glad you were able to take advantage of the deal. sometimes i think the so-called 'policies' are made up on the fly. i guess it just depends on how much a store/manager/employee is willing to go to please a customer.

when i was in circuit city, i never even considered talking to a manager and i probably should have. i thought for a second that they might have the shirts even though the games weren't in but i didn't want to waste my time.

by the way, to those that scored the t-shirt, what character is on it?
Old 08-30-03, 12:26 PM

Ivy is on the back and Namco logo on front.