Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Family Guy... A quick question

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-28-03, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the R2 or any other outside the US uncut? I am just so disappointed that some scenes were cut, and it'd be nice to get another Family Guy set with the few scenes back in....
Old 08-28-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The R2 has the same cuts as the R1.
Old 08-29-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts
Actually, the R2 of volume one had one less cut than the R1 has according to this site:
http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3335
Old 08-29-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jay G.
Actually, the R2 of volume one had one less cut than the R1 has according to this site:
http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3335
I thought I had read on http://www.planet-familyguy.com that the same masters were used, but I guess not. Glad I got the R2's now. Thanks for the info...
Old 09-01-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Family Guy... A quick question

Originally posted by DamDavila
Is the R2 or any other outside the US uncut? I am just so disappointed that some scenes were cut, and it'd be nice to get another Family Guy set with the few scenes back in....
Yes, it is disgusting that they would ruin what could be a great DVD set because of censorship! I wonder how much is censored beyond what is already known.

While JFK is in the UK set, for the other two edits, the only place to get them pure 100% uncut is through *cough* other means.

By the way do you have any idea what else has been cut?

So far we know

S1:

Stewie’s wish
JFK Pez (R1 only)

S2:

Osama Bin Laden.

What else could be cut?
Old 09-01-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
"Censorship" is a strong word that does not necessarily apply to this example. Series creator Seth MacFarlane made the changes himself because he felt those jokes were no longer funny and were insensitive to the audience.

PC, maybe, but not censored.
Old 09-01-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
"Censorship" is a strong word that does not necessarily apply to this example. Series creator Seth MacFarlane made the changes himself because he felt those jokes were no longer funny and were insensitive to the audience.

PC, maybe, but not censored.
False!! He did not even know about the edits till an interviewer mentioned them.
Old 09-01-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts
can anyone provide a quote from Seth regarding this issue either way?
Old 09-01-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jay G.
can anyone provide a quote from Seth regarding this issue either way?

I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/seth.cfm

Fortunately, it is not "gone forever"