Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Lawrence of Arabia Superbit reviews?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks away from release. . .just wondering if any reviews had come in yet.

BTW, could someone explain to me what would be considered problematic with the first 2 releases of LoA?
I've heard somewhere that some of the music is in the wrong place. . .is that true? I have not yet decided if I will buy the Superbit or the single disc edition (if the single disc is "fine" I might just get it for the cheaper price).
Old 08-26-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
According to film restoration guru Robert Harris, the color levels on the first two LOA releases are completely off. Said color issues have reportedly been corrected in the upcoming Superbit release. For that alone I'm willing to dole out the shekels... and, um, buy it again, too.
Old 08-26-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts
Do NOT buy the single disc version. It has compression problems to boot. What makes me mad is that
#1 I may have to rebuy this (one of my all-time favorites) just to have the problems corrected that should have been done right the first time. I don't have a 116 in HDTV and usually avoid Superbits when I can, but I want my movie to look right on DVD, and this wasn't a really early DVD or anything where they hadn't worked out the "kinks" yet.
#2 They probably will claim they use all the disc space of the two discs for "Optimal Picture and Sound" and drop the documentary that made the SE "special". I bet there would actually be room for it if they wanted.
Old 08-27-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found the LOA : Limited Edition to be a good set, except I found the picture to be a bit soft.
Old 08-27-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thing is, I don't really watch movies on big 30 inch + TV screens usually. Generally I watch them on my computer monitor or some 20-25 inch TV. Would you still recommend against getting the single disc version Decker?
Old 08-27-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the picture is noticably better than I will probably upgrade..

Just another consumer (me) who gut suckered into double dipping!!
Old 08-27-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Do NOT buy the single disc version. It has compression problems to boot. What makes me mad is that
#1 I may have to rebuy this (one of my all-time favorites) just to have the problems corrected that should have been done right the first time. I don't have a 116 in HDTV and usually avoid Superbits when I can, but I want my movie to look right on DVD, and this wasn't a really early DVD or anything where they hadn't worked out the "kinks" yet.
#2 They probably will claim they use all the disc space of the two discs for "Optimal Picture and Sound" and drop the documentary that made the SE "special". I bet there would actually be room for it if they wanted.
I just upgraded from a 25" 4x3 to a 30" 16x9, and I never saw a reason to actively avoid Superbits. I "avoid" speed traps on the tollways. I "avoid" spider webs on my porch. I can see favoring extras, but if I were choosing between regular and Superbit for say The Fifth Element or Bram Stoker's Dracula, since neither one has extras, why not go for the better quality one?
What about Punch Drunk Love or others that are only on Superbit.

LOA will be hand crafted by Robert Harris. I have not upgraded my RAH approved LD since none of the previous DVDs were so approved. I think in this case, a movie only edition is not something to be sneezed at.
Old 09-20-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Any more thoughts on this? I see the new SB out on the shelves... and I also saw the LE set for $13 at a used store. Not sure which way to go.
Old 09-20-03, 03:39 PM

You may find yourself only that much more conflicted as to which version to pick up after reading our review (linked below), but in deference to the expertise of Robert Harris, I'd go with the Superbit--the extras on the first 2-disc release weren't that great, anyway, that DVD's true highlight its book-bound keepcase.

http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/scope.htm

Bill C
Old 09-20-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Thanks, Bill. As cool as the book-bound keepcase is, I'm now leaning towards the SuperBit.
Old 09-22-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TomOpus
Thanks, Bill. As cool as the book-bound keepcase is, I'm now leaning towards the SuperBit.
This is actually available at Columbia House now believe it or not.
Old 09-23-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started watching this yesterday... If you love LOA, you're going to want the Superbit. Now, I only watched the first hour, so I haven't made it to the disc change or the intermission, but the presentation of the film is better than the LE (which I aso own). Better transfer (but don't expect perfection, look at the source material and the restoration work) - cleaner, colors look better - and the DTS track is a little better than the DD track on the LE.

My opinion... If you already own the LE and love LOA, pick it up (I can't believe CH is stocking this, sheesh!) and smile! If you already own the LE and are a moderate fan of the film, stick to the LE. If you've never owned LOA on DVD, go with the Superbit and rent the LE for the extras.
Old 09-23-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched the Superbit LOA 2 days ago. IMO, if you're a fan of this movie you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't buy the Superbit version. I've read some reviews in which I see a lot of complaining about how it could be better, blah, blah, blah... Yes, it could probably be better. Personally I have the LE version and am very glad to have picked up the Superbit release.
Old 04-23-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the Superbit version as I've read of the subpar video quality of the Limited and single disc releases. I just checked DVD Talk's reviews of the Superbit and single disc and for some bizarre reason, they gave the single disc a "DVD Talk Collector Series" recommendation and the Superbit "Highly Recommended". Can someone tell me how a movie that has so-so video and no features get such a high recommendation over the same movie with a much improved transfer and a dts track?
Old 04-24-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I just checked DVD Talk's reviews of the Superbit and single disc and for some bizarre reason, they gave the single disc a "DVD Talk Collector Series" recommendation and the Superbit "Highly Recommended". Can someone tell me how a movie that has so-so video and no features get such a high recommendation over the same movie with a much improved transfer and a dts track?
Were the two articles written by the same reviewer? The rating is entirely subjective, and I'm sure that the first reviewer was just so happy to finally have the movie on DVD that he rated it so high.