Problem with DVD Rentals....

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NetFlix and other rental companies just send or give you the DVD without the box. There is a lot of cool info on the box, like listing all the extras, region codes, length of film, credits, etc.

Is there a web site where I could find the info that is on the box?

Would other renters be interested in a web site like this?

KLAATUU
Old 08-26-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A lot of the information is on the Netflix website with the movie listing, such as the length of film and some of the credits.
Why would you possibly need to know the region codes?

Yeah, a listing of the extras would be nice, especially if it's a seperate rental.
Old 08-26-03, 04:45 PM

Yeah, just find the dvd on amazon.com, they list the region, the extras, the numbers of discs, the director and the key actors.

For stuff like length of the film and credits, imdb.com would serve you well.
Old 08-26-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if I did rent, which I dont, the problem would be not getting to keep them. I'm a collector and I know what I want....therefore to rent is to be silly..IMHO.
Old 08-26-03, 09:51 PM

You can run a search here and see if they have the DVD in their catalog... if so, you can click to see a scan of the back of the DVD box
Old 08-26-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Renting? pdjennings would say 'shame on you...all of you'.

And I say it too. Renting just sucks.
Old 08-26-03, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I completely disagree... I considering myself an addict ...ahem ... collector as well but I've been renting pretty much since I've gotten a player. The Netflix marque thing is great as it gives me a chance to either checkout ones I'm not sure I'll like and/or ones I know I'm interested in seeing but probably not enough to see again/purchase (documentaries for example).
Old 08-26-03, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Renting? pdjennings would say 'shame on you...all of you'.

And I say it too. Renting just sucks.
I belonged in the same group as that at one time. Now renting takes the place of going to the theatre for me. Through netflix, I only spend around $2.00 a movie and my home theatre isn't too shabby compared to the local theatres anyway. So instead of dealing with annoying people at the theatre and paying $6.00 for it, I pay $2.00 and sit at home and enjoy movies uninterrupted. Now for bigger movies that I really want to see like The Matrix Revolutions and Return of the King i'll go to the theatre, but for everything else I just save money and rent when it comes to DVD.
Old 08-27-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Besides, when renting, you don't have to deal with the odd shape that movies are presented in at a movie theatre. However do they translate that to a DVD, I'll never know. Perhaps they're just cutting stuff off the top and bottom in the theatre? Idiots!

K
Old 08-27-03, 02:24 AM

Security tags and inserts inside DVD packages

I don't know how to start a new thread. Hopefully I've done it right. I have pretty much stopped buying movies from stores unless they have better deals than online retailers. But does anyone know if the online retailers disable the security tags inside the dvd cases? I can't remember if I have ever walked into a store after picking up my movies at the post office. But packages like the 3 disc set of Black Hawk Down or the Transformers season sets have the security tags stuck inside the packaging itself. I wouldn't want to lend anything out of friends who might be accused of shoplifting and result in the subsequent loss of my property if they were to go off when entered any video store.
Old 08-27-03, 02:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

"I completely disagree... I considering myself an addict ...ahem ... collector as well but I've been renting pretty much since I've gotten a player. The Netflix marque thing is great as it gives me a chance to either checkout ones I'm not sure I'll like and/or ones I know I'm interested in seeing but probably not enough to see again/purchase (documentaries for example)."

I agree with nemein on this one.
I do not have 300/month to buy all the movies I want to watch and some of them are not worthwhile buying anyway. So I used to be one of those suckes that ended up spending a lot of money on the local video store and I must say I got sick of the service provided by stupid teenagers that have no passion for movies. I still buy what I can afford (one columbia house run every 2-3 months), I still go to the movies 2-3 times a month, and I sure get to see an outreageous amount of movies from Netflix from 1/2 of what I used to pay, with a 10x better selection and no stupid teenagers (needless to say from my computer with no driving to the video store).
Old 08-27-03, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Security tags and inserts inside DVD packages

Originally posted by PopUpStopper
I wouldn't want to lend anything out of friends who might be accused of shoplifting and result in the subsequent loss of my property if they were to go off when entered any video store.
Why would they be bringing in your DVDs (or anyone's, for that matter) into a store in the first place? I mean, unless they were making a "return"... From what I've learned, DeepDiscountDVD doesn't disable the security device. Not sure about others. I would assume they wouldn't see the point in doing so. Also, for some reason, if you were to say return a DVD purchased at Circuit City somewhere else, for whatever reason, chances are, the alarm would go off. I assume it's cuz they use a different security device (in addition to the normal one?). Checkpoint, in addition to sensormatic or something. But, like I said, there's no reason to be bringing that DVD into another store, especially if they sell DVDs there. I mean, if you lent it to someone, are you like, "Look, buddy, I don't want this DVD ever leavinig your site. Gotta pee? Take it with you. Going to work? Take it with you. Going shopping for DVDs of your own, you cheap bastard? Take it with you. Let it play with some other DVDs!" Cuz, yeah, I might request that of the friends foolish enough to ask to borrow a DVD.

Also, to start a new thread, just click on the option at the top of the main forum page for whichever sub-category it is appropriate to. Not sure if this particular question would fall under DVD Talk or the inserts/cases/cover art one. The buttom says new thread, next to the one that says post reply. Hard to miss.

Oh, yes, and Welcome to the funhouse!

K

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 08-27-03 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:01 PM

I only worry about the box sets I get through DeepDiscount. Sadly I have friends who don't no better when it comes to borrowing. So only lend to people I know within walking distance so I can always walk over and grab them back. Unfortunately he does not always take to straight to his house and he has a tendency to roam around the city for no particular reason. As for others who seem to show little care for my property, I try to prevent them from coming over. As for the posting of new threads, I'll stick to replying to others for now.
Old 08-28-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to be in the "Buy Only" club - but have recently tried Netflix and really like it. Especially for films friends recommend to me that I am not sure whether I'd like to own it or not. This way I can check out the quality of the film/dvd before plunking down $10-$20 for the disc. All at the cost of about 1 dvd per month - not a bad deal.

As a side note, I'd always wondered why Netflix and Best Buy had partnered up but now I think I understand. A few of the films that I watched (and loved) I bought at Best Buy after renting them from Netflix.
Old 08-28-03, 12:14 PM

Dvd Empire has the front and back covers of every dvd they sell. Check them out.