Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The TWO TOWERS is more Heavy duty than the FELLOWSHIP dvd. Why?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucker felt heavy when I picked it up. I knew it seemed different. But when I got home to compare I really saw the difference. The box style is slightly different, it's not just the color either. And the plastic seems to be thicker and heavier around the edges. I can already see the themes (even the edges of the fellowship theatrical is green just like the EE). Two Towers, Brownish red. Not that's it's a huge deal but. Why the change? And I mean in the thickness, because I understand the color.
Old 08-26-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I like it better.
Old 08-26-03, 10:33 PM

Oh I LOVE it better. I'm just wondering why? It's not like they didn't have the money to invest in it for the Fellowship. Personally I wish FOTR was also the same style since I still have it, and it would match.

Oh well atleast my EE's will match in style!
Old 08-26-03, 11:13 PM

I suppose you could always buy another copy of two towers and switch the art, insert, and disc with FOTR.

Or just figure out the case type and order another.
Old 08-26-03, 11:25 PM

I'm guessing that the three movies will have three different color keepcases. Notice that the cases seem to match the hue of the cover art. I think they will look very cool when they're all three together.
Old 08-26-03, 11:37 PM

RoTK will be blue. I know this because if you look at all of the packaging for most of the material FoTR was green, TTT was red, so this last one will be blue. All of the new material that has come out for RoTK has been that color (action figures etc.)
Old 08-27-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Teremei
Oh I LOVE it better. I'm just wondering why? It's not like they didn't have the money to invest in it for the Fellowship. Personally I wish FOTR was also the same style since I still have it, and it would match.

Oh well atleast my EE's will match in style!
I'm afraid you've lost me here. How is it that your cases don't "match?" I have the theatrical DVDs for both FOTR and TTT, and they match very well on my shelf. In fact, when they are closed, sitting side by side, the only noticeable differences are the color and the printing on the cover insert.

As far as the plastic being heavier, the only difference I can see there is that the second tray hinge and the case latch are slightly heavier gauge plastic on the newer case. The other main difference between the two cases (at least on my copies) is that the TTT case has an improved hub mechanism, which was not even designed until after last years FOTR DVD was released.

So, I guess, if your question is "why aren't the cases identical", then the answer is "because case manufacturers are continually refining their products, just like any other industry."

Last edited by RoboDad; 08-27-03 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 01:47 AM

Well if you like the case, go into the nearest Blockbuster and ask if they still have them. My store is small and we got 190 copies, 150 of them would have been thrown out if me and another employee hadn't grabbed them Or you could pull a danol
Old 08-27-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you crazy kids.
Old 08-27-03, 02:44 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The FOTR keepcase came in at least two variants. They look similar but one has the ying-yang spindle (not in the tray) and the other has a different release mechanism, even the groove where you open the DVD is different.
Old 08-27-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thats the first thing i noticed too - seemed heavy.
Old 08-27-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I picked it up and threw it out when I got home. Too heavy. I'm waiting for a proper release with weight matching by +/- 750 mg.
Old 08-27-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
I picked it up and threw it out when I got home. Too heavy. I'm waiting for a proper release with weight matching by +/- 750 mg.
Old 08-28-03, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
I'm waiting for a proper release with snap cases. Light weight and awful pretty!