Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why are the forum Buttons being pulled from an AD server?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pop up blocking program also blocks lots of ads and I can never see the buttons at dvdtalk.com to post messages and things unless I close it down. Why the heck are the buttons for New Message, register, faq, etc being pulled from ads.kleinman.com and not from the dvdtalk forums server?

It's really a pain in the ass.
Old 08-25-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Norton Personal Firewall and for some reason it has pulled away all the DVDtalk buttons
Old 08-25-03, 10:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think this question answers itself. Think about it.
Old 08-25-03, 10:11 PM
Cool New Member

If your reasoning that the question answers itself is that they want to force peopel to have to look at ads, that's a really bad answer. DVDTalk gets paid the money for the ads whether or not my PC shows them to me or not. I'm not ever going to click one and if I have to make PC changes every time I want to post something here, I'll probably just go find somewhere else to post.

I would hope that a website as big and great as DVDTalk wouldn't purposefully force their users to have to be presented with tons of pointless, annoying, and intrusive ads. But I guess that's their choice.

I'm just looking for an answer one way or the other.
Old 08-25-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ad-blocking software is against forum rules.

DVD Talk is a private membership organization, NOT a public forum. Membership to DVD Talk is predicated on your ADHERENCE to the rules and policies detailed below. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the closure of your forum account and an end to your Membership on the site. DVD Talk Membership is not free, the membership fee (which is thirty dollars per year) is paid on your behalf by the advertisers on this site. As such you agree not to use any ad blocking or suppression software or be liable for your membership fee.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/legal.html
Old 08-25-03, 10:17 PM
Cool New Member

Ah well. See ya.
Old 08-25-03, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by kelemvor
Ah well. See ya.
Oh no! Please don't leave. Your contributions to this forum have been so valuable.
Old 08-25-03, 10:19 PM
Cool New Member

OK. I'll stay just for you.
Old 08-25-03, 10:23 PM

Yay!

<3
Old 08-25-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Yay!

<3
Nice work Groucho! You may have prevented us from losing another "Dalvin."
Old 08-25-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sure Geoff could answer more directly than I, but I think the idea is that the ad server functions as a image server, and the buttons are images. The main server is optimized for the database and loading. The ad server is optimized for serving images. And a lot of the effort behind the scenes is to balance the server loads to handle the huge amounts of bandwidth and processing required for the forum.

That is my guess.
Old 08-25-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure klemvor was right in his assumption that the reason the forum images are on the ad server is to inconvenience those blocking the ad server. As posted by Copenhagen, you cannot block the ads on the site, so there should be no problem for anyone - unless you are breaking the rules.
Old 08-25-03, 11:44 PM
Registered

Here it is from the horses mouth:

The images for the forum come from ads.kleinman.com in equal parts:

- To load balance. When we had them come from the same server that was serving the php pages it really dogged the system
- Ads is optimized to serve images and ads so they should load faster from there
- People who block ads (which they've basically agreed NOT to do in the member agreement) have a more difficult time using the forum
Old 08-25-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Join the Premium Service coming soon and keep your buttons

Geoff feel free to use that great slogan when you launch the Dvdtalk Premium Service
Old 08-25-03, 11:58 PM
Cool New Member

I'm sure it's wrong and naughty and all that but who the heck reads the "Terms of Agreement" when they sign up for something. I don't know that I've ever read one so I wouldn't have had any way of knowing about the ad server thing.

But as long as DVDTalk doesn't put in any ads with Pop Ups or with Sound, that's fine.
Old 08-26-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's pretty funny when a forum adds a requirement that ad-blocking be turned off in order to remain a member. I guess the people who run some websites forget that people visit other websites also and it's just absurd to think that everybody will go through the hassle of turning ads on & off just to visit DVDtalk.
Old 08-26-03, 12:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
I think it's pretty funny when a forum adds a requirement that ad-blocking be turned off in order to remain a member. I guess the people who run some websites forget that people visit other websites also and it's just absurd to think that everybody will go through the hassle of turning ads on & off just to visit DVDtalk.
Hopefully some software will come out soon that will allow people to selectively allow images to be loaded from certain servers while blocking them from others.

And really, "tons" of "intrusive" ads? Maybe I've just gotten used to it all, but I can think of the one pop-under that loads when you first visit the forums, banner ads at the top of each page, and then certain temporary "ad initiatives" like the current LOTR:TTT one and are usually posted about in here. How many others are there? Freedom is not free... and neither is bandwidth. He's gotta pay for it somehow.
Old 08-26-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
Hopefully some software will come out soon that will allow people to selectively allow images to be loaded from certain servers while blocking them from others.
So far, this new google toolbar seems to be doing just that pretty well.
Old 08-26-03, 07:31 AM
Cool New Member

I use AdsGone and it lets me do that. It has a huge list of servers that it doesn't allow ads from but if you do have to (like here), then you can select that server and put it in the "allow" list.
Old 08-26-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Static Cling

And really, "tons" of "intrusive" ads? Maybe I've just gotten used to it all, but I can think of the one pop-under that loads when you first visit the forums, banner ads at the top of each page, and then certain temporary "ad initiatives" like the current LOTR:TTT one and are usually posted about in here. How many others are there? Freedom is not free... and neither is bandwidth. He's gotta pay for it somehow.
Just a quick note to say that, while you started off quoting me, the "tons" of "intrusive" ads comment was actually from kelemvor. I have found DVDtalk to be totally within reason when it comes to ads (the stray misleading spam ad nonwithstanding).
Old 08-26-03, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kelemvor
I use AdsGone and it lets me do that. It has a huge list of servers that it doesn't allow ads from but if you do have to (like here), then you can select that server and put it in the "allow" list.
Ahh I see you've figured it out...heh
Old 08-26-03, 11:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
Just a quick note to say that, while you started off quoting me, the "tons" of "intrusive" ads comment was actually from kelemvor. I have found DVDtalk to be totally within reason when it comes to ads (the stray misleading spam ad nonwithstanding).
Yep, I know. I was feeling a little lazy and didn't want to go quote, copy, paste, and edit.
Old 08-26-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ginwen
So far, this new google toolbar seems to be doing just that pretty well.
Yup - just click the button when you want to allow pop-ups for a site and it does it. I don't see the need to block ads altogether, but then again, I'm a website publisher myself and rely on the income from them to pay for my servers.