Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Star Wars II DVD different than Theatre version?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-03, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the movie several times when in first came out in theatres in Europe.
I finally just got the widescreen version and watched it (my wife got the full screen version when it first came out, and I only paid half attention to the movie).
Was there cuts from the original movie to the DVD? I seem to remember that prior to the scene where the centipede thingies attack Queen Amydala - there was a scene that she was doing something in her bedroom, then turned off the cameras, leading to the part where Anakin and Obi Wan were discussing that she turned off the cameras due to her not wanting to be watched by Anakin? Maybe I am high, but I seem to remember this scene clearly... Probably because Natalie Portman was dressed in some diaphanous flowing nightgown. Thanks for anyone refreshing my memory and saying if this was true or not.
Old 08-23-03, 10:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I know some scenes were added to Episode I on DVD, but I believe Episode II is the same as the theatrical.
Old 08-23-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cut out certain crappy scenes from my dvd and the movie is so much better for it.
Old 08-23-03, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by MrBob
I cut out certain crappy scenes from my dvd and the movie is so much better for it.
That makes the movie about 20 minutes long, right?
Old 08-23-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
[Ignoring threadcraps from 12 year old Matrix fans who think Anakin should stop bullets with his hand]

The Ep 2 DVD has a few slight changes. During the confession scene, there is a smidge more dialogue to make Anakin seem less of an ass. During the fight on Geonosis, there are more sparks added to Jango's jet pack to make sure people understand why he just doesn't fly off, and at the very end, a shot is inserted of
Spoiler:
Anakin's metal hand holding Padme's hand

I don't think that scene was changed you mentioned above.
Old 08-23-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
[Ignoring threadcraps from 12 year old Matrix fans who think Anakin should stop bullets with his hand]

LOL! That's awesome.

I'm pretty sure they showed
Spoiler:
Anakin's metal hand
in the theater? I could be wrong, that was a while ago, but I thought they showed it. I don't remember the dialog scene well enough to remember if they gave Anakin more dialog, and I really thought Jango could use the bounty hunter force to fly away...
Old 08-23-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jeez, what is the point of coming into a thread about Episode II if only to rip on it? Grow up.

The scene with the
Spoiler:
metal hand
was definitely in the theatre version. No clue about the other two you mentioned.

K
Old 08-23-03, 12:28 PM

I think the scene with the metal hand was only shown in DLP projected theatres.
Old 08-23-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to clarify. They show Annakin's metal hand in both versions however the Digital "print" had Padme taking both his hands including the metal one whereas the normal print she only held his left hand. Also, Padme's moaning as the clonetroopers come to see if she is alright is changed.

Annakin tells Obi Wan that she switched off the cameras but they never actually show her doing that in any version.
Old 08-23-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HoNuts and Darth Marino Just spoiled Episode II for me by not using spoiler tags! Anakin has a metal hand? What's up with that?
Old 08-23-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by greatjedi
HoNuts and Darth Marino Just spoiled Episode II for me by not using spoiler tags! Anakin has a metal hand? What's up with that?
He was trying to stop some bullets with his hand, but because he's not superbadass1337cool like Neo he got it shot off instead.
Old 08-23-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Padme reviving and getting up in the Geonosis desert was also changed and I think another take was used--the original in theaters looked so ridiculous people were
Old 08-23-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason
He was trying to stop some bullets with his hand, but because he's not superbadass1337cool like Neo he got it shot off instead.
Old 08-23-03, 02:29 PM

They used the DLP print on the DVD.
Old 08-23-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
There's at least 3 cuts of Episode II:

Original Theatrical Cut
Digital Theatrical Cut
IMAX Theatrical Cut

And the DVD cut may even be different that all of them. I seem to remember hearing that the DVD cut includes a little more than the digital cut, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 08-23-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Also, on the DVD, did they "tone down" the "raisins" Padme was smuggling in her top?

Because I could swear they were more prominent when I saw them in the theater, and didn't think Geonosis looked quite that chilly.
Old 08-23-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Haha at calling Groucho a 12 year old Matrix fan.

If I remember correctly, Lucas went back and made Anankin's hand *more-metallic* after the theatrical release. Seems silly to me; but whatever.

Dunno about the other scenes. I only saw it at the theaters once (first midnight show, might I add), and never felt like picking up the DVD.
Old 08-23-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL

Haha at calling Groucho a 12 year old Matrix fan.
Actually, he was responding to the other crappers.

Aside from the metal hand clasping, and the Jango Fett sparks, I don't know of any other changes. There might be a few other minor ones, but belive it or not, I don't really get so upset and worried over movies designed to be fun and for kids. (which is why I never got upset over the SEs either)
Old 08-23-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I do remember one, when Padme falls out of the ship, she used to pop right up and run off after a 20-30 foot fall, now she kinda grunts in pain.

And I know better to taunt Groucho. There are two rules on this forum: Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball, and do not taunt Groucho.
Old 08-24-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I do remember one, when Padme falls out of the ship, she used to pop right up and run off after a 20-30 foot fall, now she kinda grunts in pain.
It's still ridiculous. The only other person I know that can survive such a big fall is Mario, and that's if he's had a mushroom to be big.
Old 08-24-03, 09:36 AM
Suspended

Here's everything added back into the movie on the DVD version:

* In the Lars Homestead, after Anakin has confessed his slaughter of the Tuskens and slumped to the floor, Padmé states, "To be angry is to be human," and Anakin responds, "I'm a Jedi! I know I'm better than this!"

* Before Jango Fett is killed by Mace Windu, the sparks coming out of his damaged jetpack are much more visible.

* After falling from the gunship and eventually awakening, Padmé replies to the Clonetrooper's question of concern with a painfilled "Uh-huh" instead of "Yes."

* During the wedding scene, the Digital cut's moment of Padmé taking Anakin's hand has been inserted instead of a shot of Anakin's false arm and a pan up.

This of course isnt covering the missing scenes on disc 2, Padme` at home, the Genosis trial, the bit on the Jedi Starfighter launch pad, and so on.
Old 08-24-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
LOL

Actually, he was responding to the other crappers.

Aside from the metal hand clasping, and the Jango Fett sparks, I don't know of any other changes. There might be a few other minor ones, but belive it or not, I don't really get so upset and worried over movies designed to be fun and for kids. (which is why I never got upset over the SEs either)
Exactly, now if only others would get that through their heads. But watch out for their comebacks, that even kids would be bored by the "crappy dialogue and performances" which is crap because my cousin/godson has loved both and was gushing over with praise as we left the theater both times. I was around 4 years old when the original came out and loved all of the original trilogy. Sometimes I just think people who are die-hard Star Wars fans forget that they have grown up since then.

By the way, my cousin's favorite part of Phantom Menace? Jar-Jar and I know my kids love him too. Just like the Ewoks were my brother's favorite thing growing up, these things do appeal to many children, which in the end is the intended audience for Lucas' films.
Old 08-24-03, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by greatjedi

you mean you havn't seen episode 2 yet!
Old 08-24-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
To be fair, she did fall onto a soft sand dune.
Old 08-24-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Who is to say what her physiology is? She's not a human being. She wasn't born on earth. Maybe whatever she is can sustain falls from that height.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.