Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Bowling For Columbine - Flipper or 2-Disc? (read admin note in first post)

Bowling For Columbine - Flipper or 2-Disc? (read admin note in first post)

Old 08-19-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bowling For Columbine - Flipper or 2-Disc?

Admin note

I am sick and tired of every single Bowling For Columbine thread in this forum filling with thread craps and devolving into a flame war. If anyone makes a post in this thread that does not have to do with the answer to the question in the thread title, I'm giving them a one-week suspension. - Static
I rented Bowling For Columbine from the video store I work at and I swear I remember it being a flipper. But I went to Best Buy today to pick it up and lo and behold, it's a 2-disc set. Just curious if anyone else can confirm this, or if I'm really just losing my mind and the rental copy was also 2-discs.
Old 08-19-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My version was a flipper
Old 08-19-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just posted a thread similar to this at the HTF. I bought mine today at BB, and it's a 2-disc set. Nothing I read before its release said it was 2-discs. I think it's a mixture of DVD-14 (2-sided disc) and 2-disc sets. Glad I got the 2-discer (w/ a DVD changer, it comes in handy).
Old 08-19-03, 07:31 PM

I picked mine up from Best Buy today, and got the 2-discs. It doesn't even say anywhere on the case that it's 2 discs - but I guess that makes sense if they're not all 2 discs.

I was actually shaking the case in the store wondering what the hell was rustling around in there. I just assumed it was one disc.
Old 08-19-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought/did the exact same as futbol at Best Buy... just that people were looking at me like I was some sort of a whacko.
Old 08-19-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deleted off-topic discussion - Static

On topic, just a reminder that just because a disc is two-sided doesn't make it a flipper. A flipper is specifically a two-sided disc that contains the movie itself split across the two sides, necessitating a flip in order to see the entire movie.
Old 08-19-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought a flipper was any single disc release that required you to flip the disc over to view anything else (whether it be "part 2" of the flick or just special features etc.).

Deleted off-topic discussion - Static

And after reading this all and opening mine up, the "What type of of disc is it" award goes to: 2-disc! Woohoo! I don't like flipping my disc over for other features etc.
Old 08-19-03, 09:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deleted off-topic posts. I strongly encourage all reading to also read the admin note in the first thread.
Old 08-19-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hope the disc I end up picking up is a two disc'er
Old 08-19-03, 10:30 PM

That's strange, I'm planning on renting this soon from Film Caddy and if this topic is still active I'll post which one. Maybe rental places get the 1 disc?
Old 08-19-03, 10:42 PM

Mr. Salty - It looks like we old timers are being outnumbered. More and more the term flipper is being misused by people who don't remember a time when you had to worry about accidentally buying a DVD with only half the movie on each side.
Old 08-19-03, 11:50 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Just so y'all know....some copies will be single discs and some will be two discs, but all of the content is the same...just heard about this today~
Old 08-20-03, 08:16 AM

The version I got from Netflix yesterday had the movie on one side, and all bonus material except commentary and trailer on the other side. The menus even said "More special features on other side of disc" or something similar. It looked like the side with the movie on it was gold (dual layed) and the special features side was silver (single layer).

And yes, "Flipper" refers to a disc that you must flip halfway through the movie to see the entire movie, NOT discs with the movie on one side and the special features on the other, and also NOT discs with widescreen on one side and pan&scan on the other. There are very few flippers still left - Goodfellas and the non-superbit Das Boot come to mind - most of the original flippers (all of which came out in 1997 or 1998 I believe) have since been re-released in non-flipper form (Stargate is the only one that comes to mind right now).
Old 08-20-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented from Hollywood Video last night and mine was the 1 Disc version. I refuse to call it a flipper, because its not.

Terminator Special Edition is another example of special features on side 2.
Old 08-20-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
The screener copy that MGM sent me was a dual-sided disc, not a 2-disc set.
Old 08-20-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ted The Bug
There are very few flippers still left
Which is good reason to accept the fact that two-sided DVDs will take over the name.

When people call a two-sided DVD a flipper, do we need 4 or 5 posts correcting them, since everyone knows exactly what they are talking about? Isn't that all that matters?
Old 08-20-03, 12:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Even with the admin warning there's still a flame war of a completely unexpected nature! Best Thread Twist since the Nod!
Old 08-20-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Picked up my copy at Best Buy and it was a 2 disc set. Strange that there are two versions floating around out there.
Old 08-20-03, 12:38 PM

This is like the T2 UE with the DVD 18 and two DVD 9's
Old 08-20-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like the rental version is 1 disc, retail version is two disc.
Old 08-20-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ted The Bug
The version I got from Netflix yesterday had the movie on one side, and all bonus material except commentary and trailer on the other side.
Exactly what he said.
Old 08-20-03, 08:35 PM

Has anyone received their copy from DDD, I just ordered one from there and am wondering whether it is a 2-disker or a 2 sided disk.
Old 08-20-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Hmm. This is odd.

The "Terminator 2" DVDs that were released like this were done so because there weren't enough facilities that could replicate DVD-18s to meet demand, were they not?

So is the single disc of BFC a DVD-14, and the 2-disc a DVD-5 and a DVD-9?

Are the UPCs the same?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-20-03 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 12:13 PM

The one I got from netflix was definitely a DVD-14 (2 layers on one side, 1 layer on the other).

Rental places might have a special deal with places so people can rent the disc and the features at once instead of using 2 rentals.

Can anyone confirm if a NEW copy they bought in a store has been on 1-disc? Until they, we can assume that rental only is 1-disc, and all purchased ones are 2disc sets.
Old 08-21-03, 12:58 PM

I just had a thought, perhaps they were concerned that rental places might only rent the movie disc, or rent the special features separately (I've heard BB is really hot on this idea). Since there was quite a bit of controversy over the film, maybe they wanted to be sure that when people rent it, they get the featurettes to put the film in context. Personally, I think the film speaks for itself, but it's a theory.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.