Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

(FT13 @ NOES)Old School vs MTV film making style of horror movies.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Freddy VS Jason last week. And i couldn't help comparing and contrasting it to the early 80's Friday the 13th, and somewhat to a length Nightmare on Elm St. Series.

This is basically just an observation. Freddy vs Jason was basically a mtv style fast pace style of editing. Whatever happened to film styles of Friday the 13th part 2,Exorcist, or Evil Dead when you feel that the horror is actually really happening in real life. Nowadays horror movies are filmed Scream per se where you know its just a movie and cant take seriously henceforth, you dont get scared.... (at least i don't)

Now i know that ill get alot of flack in some parts with this thread, like Freddy vs Jason is not horror, it was an action movie, So bear with me. I loved Freddy Vs Jason. And even though these thoughts entered my mind the first hour. For the very same reason i thought the mtv style filmmaking worked for the last half hour!! I know im not suppose to take this movie seriously. But ill be lying if i didnt think it could of been much more than it was.

Blair Witch project is another example. Regardless if people feel that was a masterpiece or utter crap is besides the point. What i enjoyed about that film, is the way it was filmed making it look so real. Evil Dead is another great example of that.

Early Friday the 13th to me were old school style of filming. Making it look real like your right there with earthy color and pov shots.

Nightmare on elm street. is harder to describe. In alot of ways NOES was a pioneer of mtv style of filming mainly because Freddy is a very hollywood character. yet i still feel the first 2 were still very old school.

While watching Freddy VS Jason, there was one segment that felt like i was watching the old FT13. When they had that scene at camp crystal lake with the kids pushing around young jason. OMG! The old style and earthy tone of that part made feel like i was watching the old FT13 for a second. I enjoyed that creepy scene.

I'll admit when it came to Freddy's world, i felt the fast paced style and the final fight was right on. I did think it could of been interesting for example if they are in jason's world it could of looked documtary style or Evil Dead style. but in Freddy's world, mtv style.

But thoughts and opinions aside. I enjoyed this in its own right. It may not be perfect, and im sure everyone here has their own opinions, probably all different from mine lol But to see Freddy pair off with Jason.

Priceless!!!

Mastercard for everything else.

Last edited by Rainet; 08-19-03 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note: MTV film style is Fast paced cuts with sudden loud popular songs to make it look sort of like a music video. You see this a lot with McG's work simply because that's where he came from.
Old 08-19-03, 04:26 PM

By the way. I just watched Friday the 13th part 2. Iv'e seen it many times. But even now this creepy little diddy gets under my skin. Besides the creative gore killing set ups we sickos love. This movie still manages to scare me. Jason in a potato sack still freaks the hell out of me.
Old 08-19-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Note: MTV film style is Fast paced cuts with sudden loud popular songs to make it look sort of like a music video. You see this a lot with McG's work simply because that's where he came from.
In addition to that, what really irks me is this Matrix style slow mo crap that seems to be encompassing so many horror movies lately. God knows how many films have ripped off the Matrix, but to see it in horror movies is just plain wrong.

Recently I saw a trailer for "House Of The Dead" and of course it showed several scenes of the way overused Matrix "bullet time" effect or whatever it's called. Give it a rest already.
Old 08-19-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

POV are gimmicky and theft of Hitchocok and should never be used again unless used by a competent auteur, not some horror movie hack.
Old 08-19-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate mainstream movies. They have just become so awful. Thats why I'll only watch foriegn films anymore.
Old 08-20-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by kaze0
POV are gimmicky and theft of Hitchocok and should never be used again unless used by a competent auteur, not some horror movie hack.
What about Powell & Pressburger's Peeping Tom? Or Halloween's opening? Carpenter only had a couple of films under his belt at that satge.
Old 08-20-03, 02:31 PM
Banned

Rainet-

You ask why horror films now are all MTV'ish and fast cutting, then you ask why they can't be old school like Evil Dead?! You're joking right? The whole reason Evil Dead was so influential is because it used fast cutting and an invigorated camera style to tell its story. For better of for worse Evil Dead is the prototype of fast cut action horror filmmaking
Old 08-20-03, 03:26 PM

Pants~

I see what your saying but i humbly disagree. Some trick shots and fast cuts will happen. It is a horror movie, not a drama. But in movies such as Scream for instance, where's there's mtv's styles fast pace cut every 10 seconds with landish rock music throughout takes the takes me out of the picture more. I feel like im in a hollywood concert more so then a horror movie. I do enjoy some trick shots such as pov and the fast cam such as in the evil dead.

However in the evil dead, nothing really happens until more than halfway through the film. It was all a nice tension build up. Not much of a huge score but eerie sounds to boot. Add that with the earthy grainy picture just makes it even creepier.

I do agree with you Pants that the evil dead was influential to movies today. But with so much icing on the cake, i honestly feel that some filmmakers lose out on what makes horror scary. This is all just my opinion, and i know that you among many others will disagree, and that is fine. To each it's own.

I do enjoy movies such as Scream though, but being scared by it is another story.

Last edited by Rainet; 08-20-03 at 03:30 PM.