Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Crazies" and films in a similar vain

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just rented this disc because of the Blue Underground thread on the dvdtalk section. It definitly wasn't Romero's best but i enjoyed it.
Growing up as a kid I watched "Red Dawn" and as a 9yr old kid it put the fear of God in me. I couldn't hear a helicopter or airplane without completely freaking out. I know the two films really have two entirely different plots, but i guess i'm just bringing up films that cause the breakdown of society. These kinda films always worried me growing up and in a wierd way i believe it still does somewhere in my sub-concious.
I haven't seen to many, the only experience I've had with the tv film "The Day After"( i believe was the title) is seeing a comericial for it. I was looking forward to the VHS release from Anchor Bay but that was pre-9/11 and i haven't heard anything since. I just bought Omega Man which being a film fan know the general plot of that film.
I don't know if these kinda films have their own genre such as nunsplotation or if it just fits into a sub-genre. I just wondered what else is out there. It seems like in the 70's and early 80s every film that was about the future had a very grim view of it.
I just wondered if anyone else had similar interests in these films.

Last edited by paradicelost; 08-19-03 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
I too am a fan of these type of films. My favorite would have to be Dawn of the Dead. If there was a category, I guess you would call them 'Apocalyptic' films.

Last edited by inri222; 08-19-03 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
28 Days Later
Old 08-19-03, 02:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I remember a little-known Aussie flick that had an apocolyptic theme. It was made in the mid-80s and was quite good. Can't remember the title though.
Old 08-19-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, I love these types of movies. Check out the Day Of The Dead re-release that just came out today. The genre at it's best IMO.
Old 08-19-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you liked Red Dawn, seek out and rent a movie called Invasion USA (from 1952). More on the violent-communist-takeover slant than the breakdown-of-civilization thing, though, but I think you'll like it. The DVD is excellent, with a ton of extras worth watching like old Civil Defense audios and an awesome short film called "Red Nightmare". Just don't get it confused with the Chuck Norris movie from the 80s!

Synapse info page on Invasion USA: http://www.synapse-films.com/shoppin...nvasionUSA.htm

For apocalyptic movies, another one to find is Panic in Year Zero!, but unfortunately it's not out on DVD.
Old 08-19-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Might I suggest the Stupids with Tom Arnold.
Old 08-19-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geofferson
I remember a little-known Aussie flick that had an apocolyptic theme. It was made in the mid-80s and was quite good. Can't remember the title though.
You wouldn't happen to be referring to the Mad Max series would you?

There's also Dead End Drive-In.

Jaws caused people to not want to go in the ocean - I know people who still never go in the ocean because they saw that as a kid. Same goes for Aracnophobia.

Pacific Heights and Single White Female put the fear of renting in people.
Old 08-20-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always been a fan of this genre, and Australia has made more than their fair share. Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the 2 films I'd reccomend either. Wonder if 1 is the same as yours?

1. Has 2 guys in pimped out (the way the aussies seem to do to their cars, anyways) pinto wagons* who meet a couple girls on the eve of the end of the world. Some of it takes place by the big opera house there.

2. Has 1 guy who lives in the outback someplace at a run down farm or ranch with his father and grandfather. There's a big yellow truck in it with a full body roll cage. Dont' remember any other details other than a lot of it takes place at night.

Dead End Drive-in is indeed a classic
*they don't look unlike the pinto wagon Max uses to take the family on vacation in Mad Max.
Old 08-20-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by inri222
I too am a fan of these type of films. My favorite would have to be Dawn of the Dead. If there was a category, I guess you would call them 'Apocalyptic' films.
Dawn definitely falls into this category, even though the others of the series really don't. There's a lot to the break down of society, the media, the police, etc.. Very interesting take on it.
Old 08-20-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
The Quiet World
Old 08-20-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shill66
If you liked Red Dawn, seek out and rent a movie called Invasion USA (from 1952). More on the violent-communist-takeover slant than the breakdown-of-civilization thing, though, but I think you'll like it. The DVD is excellent, with a ton of extras worth watching like old Civil Defense audios and an awesome short film called "Red Nightmare". Just don't get it confused with the Chuck Norris movie from the 80s!

Synapse info page on Invasion USA: http://www.synapse-films.com/shoppin...nvasionUSA.htm

For apocalyptic movies, another one to find is Panic in Year Zero!, but unfortunately it's not out on DVD.
I remember an interview with John Carpenter where he brought up how happy he was that "Invasion U.S.A" actually found a home on dvd. I've seen the disc and i've actually came close to picking it up.
Old 08-20-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you're thinking of The Quiet Earth, but that was New Zealand, not Australia. Good movie, no DVD, only pan & scan laserdisc or VHS.
Old 08-20-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the Crazies reminder. Gotta rent that one.

I haven't seen it, but someone told me that "The Day of the Triffids" is in that vein.
Old 08-21-03, 04:46 AM

Night of the Comet teen movie about a comet that passes and makes everyone turn to dust, except a teen girl, her sister and the cute guy . They have fun in a big department store till some bad people show up. I think thats how it went.
Old 08-21-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched "The Crazies" a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Another film you may like is "Miracle Mile".
Old 08-21-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Don't forget super cheesy Damnation Alley!

Also:

The Ravagers

Quintet

A Boy and His Dog

Cherry 2000

etc
Old 08-21-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Thanks for the Crazies reminder. Gotta rent that one.

I haven't seen it, but someone told me that "The Day of the Triffids" is in that vein.
Triffids is the best. Cheezy, but great. Praying for a decent WS R1 release.

For othe apocalyptic flicks, check out:

Threads
The Seventh Sign
The Rapture
Old 08-21-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SS-Rodriguez
Night of the Comet teen movie about a comet that passes and makes everyone turn to dust, except a teen girl, her sister and the cute guy . They have fun in a big department store till some bad people show up. I think thats how it went.
Just announced the DVD is finally coming. Night of the Comet on 10/28!