Are they going to double-dip Chicago??

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extras are pretty slim on the version coming out today. I remember another Miramax Best Picture winner(Shakespeare in Love) that came out as a bare bones edition and a week later they announced a special edition. Any chance on a 2 disc Chicago later on?

Last edited by runnersdialzero; 08-19-03 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-19-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup.
Old 08-19-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Without a doubt, it'll be double-dipped at least. Maybe even triple-dipped.
Old 08-19-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Yup.
How about a reference?

Last edited by vivarey; 08-19-03 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-19-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Just buy it already and enjoy it. If they double-dip, eBay the DVD and be happy.

I think we're getting spoiled if the extras on the Chicago DVD are considered "bare-bones"...
Old 08-19-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's got anamorphic widescreen, dts (even if it is only marginally better than the dd), and commentary already. If they do release an SE, I'm not buying - there's no incentive.
Old 08-19-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I agree with Matt, it includes another song number for goodness sakes. What do you want for your money? a personal performance? It is easy to sell off copies, not to mention that you don't know what will be on the futura disc. Why assume when you are not sure if the next one will be better or worse then the one out now?
Old 08-19-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Are they going to double-dip Chicago??

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
I remember another Miramax Best Picture winner(Shakespeare in Love) that came out as a bare bones edition and a week later they announced a special edition. Any chance on a 2 disc Chicago later on?
Keep in mind that Shakespeare in Love Collector's Series was released almost 4 years ago. And don't forget, we're still waiting for a re-release of another one of Miramax's Best Picture winners: The English Patient.

BTW, is your nickname a BECK reference?
Old 08-19-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
What do you want for your money? a personal performance?
No personal performance = NO BUY
Old 08-19-03, 12:43 PM

Re: Re: Are they going to double-dip Chicago??

Originally posted by vivarey
we're still waiting for a re-release of another one of Miramax's Best Picture winners: The English Patient.

You really can't call this Chicago DVD barebones. I probably won't double dip.
Old 08-19-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by vivarey
How about a reference?
Here's my refrence:
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Just buy it already and enjoy it. If they double-dip, eBay the DVD and be happy.
Old 08-19-03, 01:19 PM

That's true about English Patient, but I distinctly remember that a week after Shakespeare in Love came out they announced the Collector's Edition. The Chicago DVD isn't bare-bones but you can't tell me that this movie couldn't have 4-5 featurettes on costumes, makeup, editing and art direction. Are there trailers on the DVD? If not, those might be on a special edition. I've already bought the Chicago DVD anyway so I'm pretty much just complaining for no good reason. Miramax has stuck it in and broke it off before however.

BTW, my name is a Beck B-side.
Old 08-19-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there were so many tv specials that they could have included (bravo, vh1, ect), and maybe include some rehersal footage of everyone learning to dance properly
Old 08-19-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first thing I thought of when I held the Chicago DVD in my hands was, "I guarantee they will re-release this as a special edition." Do they still do Collector's Series? The last major DVD I purchased that was a Miramax DVD was Gangs Of New York, and although it is a 2-disc set, it's not called a special edition or Collector's Series, so I was curious. I haven't seen Chicago yet. I'll probably give it a rent this week and see if I like it, then wait till I can buy a used copy if I like it enough to own it. Or, of course, just wait for the eventual 2-disc Jazzed Out Edition.

BTW, just out of curiosity (no joke - since I know it would come up eventually anyway), does it have an insert?

K
Old 08-19-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, it has an insert. I'm holding mine in my hot little hands. (Well, I put it down to type this post) I'll enjoy the hell out of it, and if they release an SE down the road, I'll buy it (and eBay this one) and enjoy the hell out of that too.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 08-19-03 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 02:36 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

I would welcome a double dip of this film, absolutely. I'm sure they could dig up a lot more on the making of the film and the long process of turning the stage show into a movie.
Old 08-19-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I certainly can't rule anything out, but Miramax hasn't done many re-releases of their recent films. Sure, they've done stuff like Pulp Fiction that was released on DVD years ago, but not too many of recent releases.
Old 08-19-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I highly expect them to. This movie is far too popular not for them to take the chance. Not to mention, there has to be a ton of TV-SPots and other features they could dig up for it.
Old 08-19-03, 03:40 PM

Geez, I bought the thing for 14.99 if they come out with a better Jazzed Out Edition (BTW ~ that was clever Cornelius) later I won't be too terribly pissed.
Old 08-19-03, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
[B]The first thing I thought of when I held the Chicago DVD in my hands was, "I guarantee they will re-release this as a special edition." Do they still do Collector's Series? The last major DVD I purchased that was a Miramax DVD was Gangs Of New York
I will pray for you my child. I would not wish a second viewing of Gangs of New York on my worst enemy.

And back on topic I think this version of Chicago will satisfy me quite well. The movie in DTS and the deleted footage is all I need.
Old 08-19-03, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047

BTW, just out of curiosity (no joke - since I know it would come up eventually anyway), does it have an insert?

K [/B]
YES, IT DOES HAVE AN INSERT.

Thread hijack ~

I actually spoke with a BVHE Marketing Exec last week and was assured that ALL future releases will have inserts. They have so many complaints since they stopped putting inserts in their dvd's.
Old 08-19-03, 08:05 PM

For a typical, more straightforward movie, this would not be considered barebones.

But for Chicago, I'd almost call it that...

There's so much that went into making this movie and I know a lot of it was recorded (haven't watched this DVD, but on the one they included with the soundtrack, they showed snippets of them in the recording studio and learning to dance). They could have a bunch of that, plus, as someone said above, info on editing a musical, the art direction, costuming, stage-to-screen adaptation, and maybe a trailer or two? Plus, all the actors were incredibly eager to talk about their experience making the movie. How 'bout a commentary with them?

I'm thankful for what we've got - DTS, a commentary, whatever behind the scenes there is, Class, and the movie itself But I wouldn't be surprised at all if a special edition came out.
Old 08-19-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chicago: Tricked Out Edition/Unrated Edition (with scenes too crappy to make it into the theatrical release)
Old 08-19-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Arcade
I will pray for you my child. I would not wish a second viewing of Gangs of New York on my worst enemy.
Hey, I liked it. No harm. I'm not the only one. I think also Ted from accounting.

Originally posted by Erica
(BTW ~ that was clever Cornelius)
They can't all be gems.

K
Old 08-19-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by RobCA
Yup, it has an insert. I'm holding mine in my hot little hands... if they release an SE down the road, I'll buy it (and eBay this one)
Forget eBay. Imagine the good life with TWO inserts!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.