Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What was she thinking?! (Reloaded spoilers abound)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been bugging me for a while, and I want to see if someone has some interesting way of explaining this. If not, I'll just shrug it off as another questionable element within The Matrix franchise.

At the end of Reloaded, Trinity is getting chased/pounded by the Agents. If she sticks around, she'll probably get killed. Beaten to death, if you will.

....so she jumps out of a 100-story building? What was she going to do if Neo didn't do a fly-by? What a genius.

Are we just to assume that she was going to land perfectly fine because she somehow knows about the existence of the matrix? Morpheus says some rules can be bent, others broken. Free falling definitely seems like one that can't be budged by any one besides Neo.

Any thoughts? I wouldn't mind a funny threadcrap or two, either.
Old 08-18-03, 03:14 PM
Banned

More importantly...why was she falling in slow-motion? If I were to jump out of a building I wouldn't fall in slow-motion. And another question that buggles the mind..Just how long would the running time be on Reloaded if there wasn't any slo-mo in it?
Old 08-18-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure, but I think that Trinity had an idea that she would die. She just wanted to take some Agents with her if she did. She knew that if the building wasn't blown up then the war would continue, so I imagine she thought the lives of everyone in Zion(and in the Matrix)were more important than hers, so she was going to sacrifice herself to save everyone else.

Then again, I could be giving the Wachowski's more credit than they deserve. Perhaps it is indeed bad writing on their part.
Old 08-18-03, 03:42 PM

I don't remember that scene too well, but wasn't there really no other way out of the room she ended up in? If I remember correctly, it was just an office or something, and she was being followed through the door by an Agent. She can't fight her way past him to get back through the door, so there really were only two choices left. Try and fight the Agent and lose, or leap out of the window and hope for the best.
Old 08-18-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
She should have tried a super-jump to the next building over.
Old 08-18-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
she did it for love so nothing she did was rational
Old 08-18-03, 04:26 PM
Suspended

I havent seen Matrix, so I dont know the whole set up - but I'll suggest this idea from JMS thoughts about the Babylon 5 season 3 climax:

Spoiler:
In that sense, as someone else once pointed out, Sheridan is a hero in the Heinleinian tradition. He does the logical thing, whatever that is, to survive. "Okay, I'm about to get vaporized...but if that hole is several miles deep, it might shield me and keep me alive for another 10 seconds. Yes, there's the *splat* at the end problem, but I'll have 10 seconds in which to figure out that problem...."
Old 08-18-03, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I havent seen Matrix, so I dont know the whole set up - but I'll suggest this idea from JMS thoughts about the Babylon 5 season 3 climax:

Spoiler:
In that sense, as someone else once pointed out, Sheridan is a hero in the Heinleinian tradition. He does the logical thing, whatever that is, to survive. "Okay, I'm about to get vaporized...but if that hole is several miles deep, it might shield me and keep me alive for another 10 seconds. Yes, there's the *splat* at the end problem, but I'll have 10 seconds in which to figure out that problem...."
Heh, funny thing is, I was about to reference that exact quote/episode...

Either way, good point on just trying to just jump across. She did seem to deliberately dive downwards, didn't she?

Hmmmm...
Old 08-18-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She was thinking how cool that scene would look and how we could show it to the audience sixty four times and how they wouldnt get tired of it. Watching her just get beaten by agents is not a good enough excuse to make !!!!UNCOPYABLE!!!! effects. Most of the movie is not logical. Why does Neo sit and fight with all those agents instead of just flying away?
Old 08-18-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I can remember, one agent follows her into the office and when she looks for an exit, a second one comes into the office through a side door. She then decides to jump through the window and hope for the best.
Old 08-18-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She wasn't planning to get shot on the way down, so I imagine she was going to do some fancy flip or something to pull herself out of the fall. If you've seen "The Final Flight of the Osiris" from Animatrix, you'll see another female character make a jump/fall about the same distance and she landed without a scratch.
Old 08-29-03, 11:45 AM

It's a parallel scene to the beginning of the first movie. She jumps across the gap, through a window, falls down the stairs, and points her guns at the window where she expects the agent to come through. She was more or less in control, and it was at the beginning of the movie.

This one was toward the end of the movie, she jumps out, turns around, and aims her guns, but this time, the agent follows her and she probably *isn't* going to live. Not so much in control this time. More literary than logical IMO.

But, if you also remember, she jumps across some chasm in a bike, jumps off the bike, and lands easily on the ground, which of course no human could do. So, she may have had a 'plan b' that would have allowed her to survive.
Old 08-29-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I'd imagine she jumped because death would be preferable caught and interogated by the agents the way Morpheus was in the first movie.
Old 08-29-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jumping > Being shot
Old 08-29-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
Jumping > Being shot
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-29-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was in her contract, jump to your death. Who's she to argue with the Wachowski mafia?

Natch, she spent some time before doing that scene spending all her money from Matrix 1, I mean ya can't take it wid ya.

Or so I'm told.

-Gunshy
Old 08-29-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Like others have said, it makes sense. She can survive falling from a building, so it was her only way out.
Old 08-29-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She was thinking, "Hmm... What can I do to wow the audience?! I know! I'll jump out of the window and get into a really neat-o slowmo shootout in mid-air and then get shot and have to be caught by a flying Neo who would then use his extra-special powers to pluck the bullet from my corpse and restart my heart, mirroring me 'saving' his life by kissing him in the first film! That'll impress them!"

However, just moments before jumping out of the window, she had a second thought: "Of course, a better script would've impressed them more... But, hey, it's about the special effects! Woo hoo!"