Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What Superbits are worth it?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never quite bought the whole Superbit thing... it seemed to me to be a cheap way of avoiding producing extras. Also, many non-Superbit releases have similar bit rates while still offering extras. However, I recently purchased two Superbits because the existing versions of the movies weren't very good: Das Boot and Bram Stoker's Dracula and now I'm not so sure.

Both have great PQ (terrific in the case of Dracula) and wonderful DTS sound. They're great discs, IMO. They've also changed my thinking about Superbit, it might make sense for a few titles. Are there any other titles out there that are worth getting in Superbit because either the previous versions stink or the PQ and sound quality improvement is so dramatic it makes sense to double dip?
Old 08-18-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5th Element, at least for me. And it's not like the original release had any extras to speak of that are missing off the superbit version. It's definitely a case of buying the movies you love, though. If there's no interest in the movie itself, then a great pic and sound isn't going to do much for it.
Old 08-18-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like yourself i've not really gone into this 'Superbit' thing but admittedly the 'Das Boot - Superbit' which is the only one i own is a marked improvement in PQ/Audio.

By all accounts the 'Lawrence Of Arabia - Superbit' may also be worthy of purchase if reports of the efforts to produce a stunning transfer are to be believed... (particularly in my case as although i've seen the film many times i don't own it on DVD as yet)

Also i'm hoping that 'Leon : The Professional' will also be an improvement in PQ/Audio from what is currently available.
Old 08-18-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second 5th Element The Superbit improved upon the already incredibly good A/V of the original release. If you like this movie, the Superbit is definitely the way to go.
Old 08-18-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: What Superbits are worth it?

Originally posted by Hiro11
I never quite bought the whole Superbit thing... it seemed to me to be a cheap way of avoiding producing extras. Also, many non-Superbit releases have similar bit rates while
From everyone I know, & my own experience, it really depends on what your home theater is. If you are watching on an old Toshiba from 1988 or whatever, then of coarse, there is pretty much no difference & pointless to get a superbit DVD. But on my 50 inch HDTV & HT set-up, I notice a HUGE difference in 5th Element, Das boot, Crouching Tiger (especially in just the crispness of the print) & others.
Old 08-18-03, 10:33 PM
Banned

Desperado and Legends of the Fall
Old 08-19-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Das Boot the DTS track is outstanding

Looking forward to LOA also
Old 08-20-03, 10:39 AM

Snatch and Heavy Metal definatly.

Of course I don't own the Special edition of Snatch, so it might not be worthwhile if you recently bought that version.

Also, how does Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon look and sound on Superbit, any different?
Old 08-20-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you do a search for Superbit over the past 1 year, you will find many discussions on this topic.

Go to www.dvdfile.com and do a search for Superbit, you will find about 15 reviews on the Superbit titles and a comparison to the older (non Superbit) versions of the DVDs. Some of them even have side by side comparsions of the pictures from the DVD.

Long story short, if you have an HDTV you will be able to see a big difference in most Superbits If you have a non-HDTV, it will be much harder to see the difference.

Read reviews befor you buy, some Superbits are just like the older versions or do not improve on the quality because the quality was already awesome, maybe just DTS was added and the DTS can only give a small amount of improvement at times.
Old 08-21-03, 03:34 PM

However, I recently purchased two Superbits because the existing versions of the movies weren't very good: Das Boot and Bram Stoker's Dracula and now I'm not so sure.
Those are the same two I own for the exact same reason.

My roommate bought Snatch and Resident Evil superbits and I have the original versions. The quality on both was already good, but the superbit is a bit crisper. I don't plan to double-dip though as I'm happy with the non-superbit versions.

My only complaint about the CTHD superbit is they don't give an option for the English Dub. Setting aside debates of which is better I just wanted the option like they put on the Das Boot superbit later. That's just my personal gripe though.
Old 08-23-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bram Stoker's Dracula: Superbit
Old 08-23-03, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by RichDB10
Also i'm hoping that 'Leon : The Professional' will also be an improvement in PQ/Audio from what is currently available.

Sounds like it's a disappointment.
Old 08-24-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bought Starship Troopers Superbit yesterday... holy carp, that DTS track is ridiculously loud. It's the first DVD I've seen where I was actually worried about damaging my HT set-up.
Old 08-24-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going for the superbit Les Miserables - The Dream Cast in Concert. I've stuck with my letterboxed laserdisc because the first DVD release was full screen and the sound was no better. Now, with superbit 1.78:1 OAR and DTS, I'm going to be all over this one.

Last edited by movielib; 08-25-03 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-25-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Khan
Sounds like it's a disappointment.
Oh crap, that blows. I was really looking forward to the DTS track!