Whatever happened to the HARDWARE DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Postponed mere days before its release earlier this summer, a new release date is awaited!

My best guess is that the DVD was complete and the studio was waiting for the music rights to clear, when someone (Ministry? PIL? their record companies?) threw a wrench into the works and refused to give up the rights.

Are there a whole slew of these sitting in a warehouse somewhere? Or was the title cancelled outright?
Old 08-18-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I didn't even know it was due to be released on dvd! That's one of my favorite nobody-knows-about-it movies, and I think it would rock on DVD.
Although what got me was how they were playing a Ministry song, but the video on the screen was GWAR....It would suck for something like music rights for those couple of songs would hold up the movie, and that song fits the mood/tempo of that scene so well [I think it's Flashback?]

"There is no f*ing good news!"
Oh, we all walk the weebily wobbily walk....That guy was creepy...

Okay, those are two quotes I can recall off the top of my head...
Old 08-18-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, too, am VERY curious as to what happened. My brother-in-law and I have been waiting for this for msot of the year, then, a few days before release, they announced it was cancelled. I can only guess what the reasons were. I'd love more information if anybody knows something.
Old 08-18-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Hardware Wars on DVD. That's good enough for me.
Old 08-19-03, 03:21 AM

If you're Region Free, there's an uncut German disc out there. It's fullscreen though.
Old 08-19-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
You could try asking Mao. He may have info....
Old 08-19-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Hardware got squeezed by the cash-flow problems at Buena Vista... Here is the scoop I received from someone who talked to a rep at the House of Mouse:

"I called House of Mouse about it. They bit off more than they can chew with this one. They are leaking money in a lot of their divisions and Eisner could not justify going into another heavily saturated market like Hardware. They are also starting to feel some negative PR from their 48 hour DVDs. Environmental groups are in an up roar. With this negative press they backed down on new projects."
Old 08-20-03, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by mcarver
Looks like Hardware got squeezed by the cash-flow problems at Buena Vista... Here is the scoop I received from someone who talked to a rep at the House of Mouse:

"I called House of Mouse about it. They bit off more than they can chew with this one. They are leaking money in a lot of their divisions and Eisner could not justify going into another heavily saturated market like Hardware. They are also starting to feel some negative PR from their 48 hour DVDs. Environmental groups are in an up roar. With this negative press they backed down on new projects."
Ok, curiosity is getting the best of me. What was the deal with the 48 hour DVD?
Old 08-20-03, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by NoirTech
Ok, curiosity is getting the best of me. What was the deal with the 48 hour DVD?
I think that's a reference to those "rental" type DVDs. Disney was going to resurrect the old DivX concept by selling a few titles that would only play for 48 hours before the dye on the disc changed colour and rendered it unplayable. Just a bad idea that was bad two years ago and is still bad now. Bad. Bad. Bad. Disney, file this under the "Duh?!" column, okay?

And release HARDWARE already!
Old 08-20-03, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Damage
I think that's a reference to those "rental" type DVDs. Disney was going to resurrect the old DivX concept by selling a few titles that would only play for 48 hours before the dye on the disc changed colour and rendered it unplayable. Just a bad idea that was bad two years ago and is still bad now. Bad. Bad. Bad. Disney, file this under the "Duh?!" column, okay?

And release HARDWARE already!
ah! That makes sense now. heh. I actually do know about the "48 hours" DVDs. Yes. Very bad idea.
Thanks

"Bad is bad, good is good" -- Thumb Wars
Old 08-20-03, 12:05 PM

thanks for the hard facts, mcarver.

too bad.

BV is really screwing up catalog releases lately (abysmal transfer on QUEEN MARGOT, to name one).
I go to great lengths not to give Di$ney one penny of my hard-earned cash, which is difficult as they seem to have a finger in every pie, but this simply compounds my feelings for the "House of Rat".

-ghlbtsk

P.S. Grrrrrrrr!