Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Song of the Day (8/18-8/22)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last Week's Thread

"Dirge for November" by Opeth from 2001's Blackwater Park
Opeth would probably best be labeled under the category Progressive Death Metal. While I'm not normally able to enjoy death metal I can get into Opeth due to the fact that it's not just death metal vocals, but there is actual singing along with it and the transitions between the two styles are so amazing that it's impossible not to like. There are quiet and hauntingly beautiful moments followed by crushingly brutal riffs. It's an amazing style and a true innovation in a genre where that seems to be rare. Blackwater Park is Opeth's first true masterpiece and their most cohesive album so far. "Dirge for November" is a good intro to the Opeth style. It starts off quiet and pretty with acoustic guitar and nicely sung vocals then a few minutes in the guitars and death vocals come in to crush everything before the song returns back to where it started from. Those who like this would do well to check out Deliverance and Damnation as well.

For those who are interested e-mail me and I can point you to the newsgroup I'm posting these songs too.

Last edited by Mordred; 08-18-03 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Refuse to be Denied" by Anthrax from 2003's We've Come For You All
Anthrax finally returned after a 5 year hiatus with the stellar WCFYA proving that they weren't going anywhere. There's a good bet you haven't heard this album yet which is a damn shame. There's a ton of great music that would appeal to old school thrash fans as well as rock fans in general. WCFYA is a cohesive album and easily their best since Sound of White Noise. "Refuse to be Denied" is probably my favorite song on the album and a deserving 2nd single if they decide to release one. It's bouncy main theme and nice acoustic bits perfectly complement John Bush's lyrics which are probably the strongest the band has ever written. Other highlights include "What Doesn't Die", "Anyplace but Here" and the title track "W.C.F.Y.A." All in all, it's a rousing comeback from a band that really deserves to succeed.
Old 08-19-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't have the new Anthrax (yet), but Blackwater Park as a whole is an absolutely incredible album. At first, I wasn't really into the death vocals, either, but the rest of the music is too good to dismiss for that one aspect alone.

Dirge for November is an excellent track, although I personally prefer the title track and The Leper Affinity to it.

I'd also suggest the album Morningrise as an excellent introduction to Opeth. The combination of Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell are what sold me on this band.
Old 08-19-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edclem
don't have the new Anthrax (yet), but Blackwater Park as a whole is an absolutely incredible album. At first, I wasn't really into the death vocals, either, but the rest of the music is too good to dismiss for that one aspect alone.

Dirge for November is an excellent track, although I personally prefer the title track and The Leper Affinity to it.
I really like both those tracks and almost posted The Leper Affinity but ultimately decided the other was better. I've heard part of Morningrise, but not enough to recommend anything off it.
Old 08-19-03, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Mordred
I've heard part of Morningrise, but not enough to recommend anything off it.
Oh man, Advent alone is worth the price of admission. What a track.
Old 08-20-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"The Line" by Axel Rudi Pell from 2000's The Masquerade Ball
Axel Rudi Pell is a German metal genius who seems to be pretty much unknown outside his country. He's a guy who can play like Yngwie Malmsteen and write songs like Blackmore or Dio. Think Odyssey era Malmsteen, Rising era Rainbow or Heaven & Hell era Sabbath. He's amazingly prolific and seems to be unable to write anything that doesn't sound epic anymore. His songs are richly layered affairs with soaring guitar, strong melodies and choruses... and all of them seem to be 7+ minutes long (He released a 130 minute double live album with 11 tracks on it). Since teaming up with ex-Hardline ("Hot Cherie") vocalist Johnny Gioeli back in '98 he's been unstoppable releasing great album after great album. They might be a little too pop-metal for some tastes and the production is very slick, but definitely worth checking out. "The Line" is my favorite track off Masquerade Ball and gives a good intro to the style: building guitars a strong vocal line and a rousing chorus you can't get out of your head. Other highlights include "Night and Rain" and the title track. Oceans of Time and Shadow Zone are also worth checking out.
Old 08-21-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Mordred's Song" by Blind Guardian from 1995's Imaginations from the Other Side
What can I say about Blind Guardian that hasn't been said already. They are critical darlings among the power metal community and with good reason. I'm not a huge BG fan, but they've certainly released some solid albums and I can appreciate them for what they are. Imaginations finds the band teaming up with Metallica producer Flemming Rasmussen who helps the band come up with their finest effort yet. "Mordred's Song" isn't the best song on the album but it's my Birthday so you're going to have to indulge my own tribute to myself
Old 08-21-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a big dose of Blind Guardian
Old 08-21-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the blind guardian track: Fantastic song, fantastic album. I'd never heard these guys until I saw them with Symphony X here in St. Paul. I was absolutely blown away. SUCH a good power metal band. IMO, their strongest effort is Nightfall in Middle Earth, but Imaginations is an excellent album as well.
Old 08-22-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a big dose of Blind Guardian
My thoughts exactly
Old 08-22-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Practice What You Preach" by Testament from 1989's Practice What You Preach
I was in the mood for some old school Thrash metal so I decided to go with Testament for today. For those of you who don't know Testament was a band formed out of San Francisco fronted by Chuck Billy and featuring Alex Skolnick on guitars. Skolnick was something of a metal wunderkind going on the road with Testament at the age of 17. Testaments best years were with Alex when they were a full fledged thrash band. As the '90s came around, Skolnick left (as did many of the other members) and Billy soldiered on turning Testament in a Grindcore/Death direction. For my money the earliest years were the best and "Practice What You Preach" is probably their best song. The New Order is also another good starting point for the casual fan.

I'm going to be out of town 8/27-9/3 so the MSotD is going to take a 2 week hiatus. I'll see you when I get back. Keep banging.
Old 08-23-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

old school Testament is the best. much better than Metallica.
Old 08-24-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

one of the best shows I've ever seen was Testament (on the Souls of Black tour) opening for Slayer (supporting Seasons in the Abyss).
Testament was a fantastic thrash band that never received the credit or popularity they deserved. Alex is an amazing guitarist, and his departure coincided with my loss of interest in the band.
Practice What You Preach is an amazing album that is still near and dear to me.
My personal favorite track is Sins of Omission. Amazing song.
Old 08-26-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As above, So below... Behemoth.

First Round Knockout... Deride.
Old 09-03-03, 06:24 PM

Testament!!

I've seen them live a few times.

Nov. 20th 1989 with Wrathchild America and Annihilator at the Boathouse in Norfolk Va.

Dec. 13th 1990 opening for Megadeth at the same place

Jul. 25th 1992 with the then unknown White Zombie as opening act. Also at the Boathouse

They kicked A** every single time.

As for the song Practice What You Preach, what can I say. It's just a kick a** song. I love the early era of Testament, but now it seems thay have become a Death Metal band. They are a very underrated band that's for sure. I even think some of thier albums, like The New Order, are some of the greastest thrash albums ever made.

Last edited by raiders757; 09-03-03 at 06:29 PM.