Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solaris (2002) -- why was this film so despised?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I regret having missed this in theaters. I just rented the DVD of Soderbergh's Solaris and I really liked it. In fact, after another viewing, my estimation of it might go up. Tarkovsky's 1970s version is actually the only film of his I have seen and not cared for.

I thought the film was very emotional, beautifully scored and photographed and well-acted for the most part, and very well-directed. I think it's astonishing that Fox gave them a nearly $50 million budget--maybe that was a mistake for the bean-counters in retrospect. I think Cameron's involvement had something to do with it. In any case, while some critics gave it good reviews, audiences hated it. Maybe it should have been given a limited release at first, although I doubt that would have helped.

I really like to see thought-provoking science-fiction, and this definitely fits the bill. As I was discussing with a friend of mine, the secret of science-fiction is that it is neither 'science' nor 'fiction'...rather something that deals with the problems of human existence in the present.

I guess this just proves that my tastes only occasionally agree with the general public's...for better or worse.
Old 08-17-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agree completely; it’s a wonderful movie. However, I tend to think the film was less despised than avoided; for reasons I fail to understand, people shunned it at the theater. I hope the movie finds new life on DVD.
Old 08-17-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I was just kind of neutral about it. I haven't seen the original, but I found this one to be unfocused -- beautiful to look at, but sterile somehow. It's a shame most of the press coverage of the remake seemed to be about Clooney's ass -- because his moving performance was actually one of the best things about the film. I just never got particularly emotionally involved by the story, I guess. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't particularly memorable to me, either. I hesitate to even call it "science fiction" at all myself, it could've been set at anytime, anywhere with a similar bare-bones plotline, really.
Old 08-17-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I hesitate to even call it "science fiction" at all myself, it could've been set at anytime, anywhere with a similar bare-bones plotline, really.
I agree; though I don’t think that’s a bad thing. DVD Savant raised much the same issue in his review of Solaris. Since I’m not above re-posting (yes, thank you I know I’m shameless), the following is how I responded to that point in a different thread…

Not to nit pick on Savant’s review, but one of his criticisms that bothered me was this comment:

Since this Solaris concentrates on Kelvin's personal predicament to the exclusion of other concepts (even Lem's basic investigation of the idea of interstellar communication), what we're left with is the examination of the emotional-romantic problems inside Kelvin's head. Telling them doesn't really need an interstellar backdrop. 1 He could just hallucinate new Rheyas on Earth, or clone them physically, if that's all that was necessary.

And expanded upon in a footnote:

This happens all the time in more feeble science fiction stories, that honor the hardware but feature ideas that don't need hardware [emphasis mine] . You don't need a time-travel story, just so the hero can remember something from the past. And Kelvin doesn't have to go halfway across the universe, just to do a romantic self-inventory.

I view this approach in a favorable light. Most truly great genre movies explore universal themes that rise above or in someway transcend their genre---we see it time and again in westerns, war pics, sci-fi, etal, where the usual trappings of the genre serve primarily as a backdrop from which the central drama/themes emerge. The motifs of the genre serve the larger story, rather than become the story. The Searchers, for example, could be set just as successfully in outer space, the Middle Ages, or on 20th century city streets. To me, this element is the hallmark that separates a mere genre pic from a greater work of art.
Old 08-17-03, 03:14 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think the film was disliked because it didn't have an audience.

By that I mean, most people who would be inclined to like a slow, contemplative, and philosophical science fiction movie have already seen (and already like) the "original" Solaris. They would be inclined to dismiss the "remake" (I know it wasn't really a remake) as an exploitive ripoff. Those to whom a slow, contemplative, and philosophical science fiction movie is anathema wouldn't like it anyway.
Old 08-17-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think a part of it is that this film is definitely more artsy so to speak, which means a limited audience appeal. And the audience that it did appeal too, many of them hated it simply on the fact it was a remake. So many people on this board alone cry foul whenever a new remake is being put into production. So in the end, many people just didn't go to see it.

Personally I found it pretty good though, so I hope more people check it out.
Old 08-17-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was boring... can't really explain it. Things just seemed to take forever to happen.
Old 08-18-03, 04:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have seen and love the original Solaris. It's a great, thought-provoking film whose pacing allows the story to unfold in a very unique way. When I heard about the remake, all I could think was, "Good god, next they'll remake 2001: A Space Odyssey." I just don't understand why someone would try and redo or outdo something that is so fantastic. Just re-release the original.

Another thing that made me want to avoid this like the plague was George Clooney. I find it very hard to watch any film with George Clooney and not be aware of the fact that I'm watching George Clooney. His "acting" never seems to penetrate past his face. It always takes me out. I wish Soderbergh would wise up and start using real talent like Luis Guzman and Don Cheadle in bigger roles instead of hobnobbing with Clooney and Julia Roberts.

I saw Solaris as another sign of Soderbergh finding himself in a situation that most directors can only dream of: a mainstream filmmaker with indie cred, able to do whatever he wants. Unfortunately, I think this ability to do anything has turned him around so that he ends up making dumb decisions (Ocean's 12, anyone?). I did like Full Frontal, but I wish he would get back to his guns and make some great art again, like sex lies and videotape or Schizopolis.

In the final summation, there are so many movies out there that I would rather see that even if I had a slight interest in Solaris, I would spend the whole time thinking about how I could be watching something else in which I have more interest.

I'm probably sounding pretty closed minded right now, and I realize that, but I stand by my points, and will continue to stand by them for many useless remakes. I don't want to give those films my money. It promotes complacency.
Old 08-18-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
I think the film was disliked because it didn't have an audience.

By that I mean, most people who would be inclined to like a slow, contemplative, and philosophical science fiction movie have already seen (and already like) the "original" Solaris. They would be inclined to dismiss the "remake" (I know it wasn't really a remake) as an exploitive ripoff. Those to whom a slow, contemplative, and philosophical science fiction movie is anathema wouldn't like it anyway.
Agreed 100%.

I liked this film, quite a bit actually... But, the market for "thinking man's" science fiction is not a large one.
Old 08-18-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's largely reviled because despite the very vocal, blatant and omnipresent words to the contrary from Soderlooney itself, people were expecting something akin to the snappy banter to "Out of Sight" and "Oceans Eleven". But count me in as one who enjoyed it. But I"m not sure I would on DVD, it was actually a marvelous theater experience.
Old 08-18-03, 10:34 AM
Retired

Originally posted by fumanstan
I thought it was boring... can't really explain it. Things just seemed to take forever to happen.
I haven't seen it, but a friend who caught it in the theater said more or less the same thing. It was boring and nothing happened. She hated it, and said it was one of the worst movies she's seen.

I'll still check it out sometime if I have a chance to see it for free. I'm not willing to spend in $ as my opinions tend to mirror hers almost exactly on movies.
Old 08-18-03, 02:15 PM

I didn't give a rats ass about the characters, I was hoping he zapped her with the ion gun just so it would be over and the ending was predictable.
Old 08-18-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just avoided this film like the plague because I am not a fan of remakes in general.

Why remake a Tarkovsky film? That's as pointless as trying to remake a Kubrick, Hitchcock (which has been done several times with horrid results), or Lynch film, IMO.
Old 08-18-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
I just avoided this film like the plague because I am not a fan of remakes in general.

Why remake a Tarkovsky film? That's as pointless as trying to remake a Kubrick, Hitchcock (which has been done several times with horrid results), or Lynch film, IMO.
I disagree. While many Hollywood remakes aren't the greatest ideas, I wouldn't want to eliminate versions of, oh say Hamlet, because it's been done before. Granted you did not mention Hamlet or Shakespeare, but many consider him a great writer. Should all the greats be left untouched?

Furthermore if a director (or producer) are fans of a particular book, should they not do a version simply because they were born too late and someone already did the book first?

And I should also point out that many remakes are not shot by shot remakes a la Psycho, but instead take an idea and run with it their own way. I see nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean the film will work, but I don't mind people trying.
Old 08-18-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jericho
I disagree. While many Hollywood remakes aren't the greatest ideas, I wouldn't want to eliminate versions of, oh say Hamlet, because it's been done before. Granted you did not mention Hamlet or Shakespeare, but many consider him a great writer. Should all the greats be left untouched?

Furthermore if a director (or producer) are fans of a particular book, should they not do a version simply because they were born too late and someone already did the book first?

And I should also point out that many remakes are not shot by shot remakes a la Psycho, but instead take an idea and run with it their own way. I see nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean the film will work, but I don't mind people trying.
If someone else wants to try to re-interprate a book into film form, more power to them. I don't mind people trying either, but it is rare that it is something I want to see. This is just my opinion of course, but if filmmakers are going to make films from books, etc... that have already been made into films, pick books whose resulting films weren't so good!! Why remake something that already has a film considered to be a masterpiece? It's almost begging for failure.
Old 08-18-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
George Clooney.

At least that was what turned me off from watching it.
Old 08-19-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I have seen and love the original Solaris. It's a great, thought-provoking film whose pacing allows the story to unfold in a very unique way. When I heard about the remake, all I could think was, "Good god, next they'll remake 2001: A Space Odyssey." I just don't understand why someone would try and redo or outdo something that is so fantastic. Just re-release the original.
On the other hand, I also love the original Solaris, and Tarkovsky is my favorite director. And when I heard about the new Solaris, my reaction was "Cool! I can't wait to see it!"

Why was I about the only one who reacted that way? Because I'm willing to give things a chance before dismissing them?

The remake is good, although it's too short. It hits the major points but omits too much background information, and almost completely ignores the planet itself which I thought was a huge mistake. Heck, even about half the book is philosophizing about the planet. So, yes, I'm saying the remake should have been longer (as the people who hated it shudder in disbelief).
Old 08-19-03, 02:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by shill66
On the other hand, I also love the original Solaris, and Tarkovsky is my favorite director. And when I heard about the new Solaris, my reaction was "Cool! I can't wait to see it!"

Why was I about the only one who reacted that way? Because I'm willing to give things a chance before dismissing them?
Even as I typed my post, I knew I had criticized people for dismissing things without giving them a chance, but I suppose everyone is allowed their anachronisms, and mine is Solaris.
Old 08-19-03, 02:40 PM
Banned

while beautiful to watch, (the planet/ship scenes were incrdible) it was very, very, very boring. Nothing happened.
Old 08-19-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Scot1458
while beautiful to watch, (the planet/ship scenes were incrdible) it was very, very, very boring. Nothing happened.
Obviously we didn't watch the same movie. Even if you discount the more 'interior' nature of the story, there was plenty going on that held my interest--surprises, conflict between characters, difficult decisions and even physical danger.
Old 08-19-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shill66
I always thought this argument was a bunch of crap, no personal offense, as it gets used daily on this site with about every new film by just about everyone.

we ALL dismiss things without seeing them, otherwise we would want to see every film ever made, and few of us, if any, have the time, the money, or the opportunity to do that.

so the Solaris remake gets scratched off my list of films I would like to see because it's a remake of an already great film (or a re-interpretation of a novel that already has a great film, whichever way you want to look at it). There are other things I would rather do with my time and money. EVERYONE makes similar eliminations in what movies they want to see. People use the "don't dismiss it until you see it" defense to defend movies they liked all the time. I just find it pointless and silly......and hypocritical since it is something we all do....whether it be knowing a film was directed by a director you don't like, stars an acotr you despise, got horrid reviews from critics you trust, or was despised by someone you know who has similar tastes to yours. We decide what we want to see based on what we are more probable to like (at least non-masochists do). It's difficult for me to imagine a version of Solaris better than Tarkovsky's, so I know before seeing it that I will most likely be disappointed.....so why should I see it?
Old 08-22-03, 07:18 PM
Cool New Member

i didnt really consider it a sci fi flick, but more of a love story. i loved it. i have yet to see the original (dont crucify me) but if you watch this with an open mind, and go in knowing that it isnt really a science fiction movie, i think you can enjoy it. i dont mind slow films. i thought the score by cliff martinez was outstanding, and the cut flashback scenes were great. the visual aspect was great as well. what can i say? i loved it.
Old 08-22-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet

Another thing that made me want to avoid this like the plague was George Clooney. I find it very hard to watch any film with George Clooney and not be aware of the fact that I'm watching George Clooney

mark me down as another who likes the original. but the casting in todays films really is lame at times and above is a perfect example. he has never sold me any role he's played. the remake didnt stand a chance with this guy on board..IMHO. he needs to stay away from sci-fi and horror films...please. I saw the remake..prefer the original.
Old 08-23-03, 01:59 PM
Banned

While the remake is of interest and should be seen it is no where near as good as the 1972 Solaris and anyone who has gone ahead and watched the new version without seeing the '72 version has robbed themselves of one of a great film experience. The '03 version is like reading the Cliff's Notes and now you'll never be able to view the '72 version with eyes unclouded by the remake. That's sad.
Old 08-23-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the lauding of the original. It was mind-numbing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.