Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Two Towers DVD: Return of the King Preview

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my hands on the 2 disc Two Towers today and I have to say that it impresses as well as the first release did. The Return of the King preview is awesome, u get a real behind the scenes look at "King" and it does end with the preview that was online last week, but now with audio that synchs up! Also of note is the previw for the Extended Edition, the new scenes look sooo good, and I think it will definately please fans of the books who felt slighted by the movie, especially in its treatment of Faramir. Highest recommendation for this 2 disc.
Old 08-14-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turd.
Old 08-15-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll wait for the extended edition. The theatrical version was marred by horrible sequence editing. Hopefully, as many other people have said, the extra 40 or so mins will fix this us. Plus I can get the box set half price from work. You wouldn't believe what the cost price on these things are.
Old 08-15-03, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll rent two towers from Netflix, that should keep me covered till the extended edition comes out.
Old 08-15-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved this movie so any chance to see it before the extended edition i took, to me the extended edition is an extra treat.
Old 08-15-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No question--I want both versions. I do still enjoy watching the FOTR standard release sometimes, so I see no reason not to the standard TTT release either. However, I will say this--between the standard release and EE I would much rather have the EE.
Old 08-15-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Palmer, I agree. From what I saw of the Extended edition preview, everything that I hated that was left out from the books seems to have been reinserted into the Extended Edition and that made me happy.
Old 08-15-03, 11:33 AM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
What's the street date for the normal and extended versions?

I'm too lazy to look it up... but thought it might be a good for some folks here...
Old 08-15-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

August 26th for the Normal, Extended sometime in Nov.
Old 08-15-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
No question--I want both versions. I do still enjoy watching the FOTR standard release sometimes, so I see no reason not to the standard TTT release either. However, I will say this--between the standard release and EE I would much rather have the EE.
I love the theatrical version of FOTR, especially the beginning Shire intro. I love as a whole the extended version, but somehow, the theatrical version for me seems a bit better paced. I can't wait to see the extended version of TTT, I enjoyed the theatrical vers., but I think it needed more and I hope the extra 40 minutes will make it have a better feel.
Old 08-15-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone know if there will be any "making of helms deep" documentary or if there is any extended footage in that area.
Old 08-15-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts
Originally posted by fmian
I'll wait for the extended edition. The theatrical version was marred by horrible sequence editing. Hopefully, as many other people have said, the extra 40 or so mins will fix this us.
Agree compeltely. I was really kind of disappointed in TTT.

I would much prefer if TTT EE would be re-edited to follow the book's structure. With the Aragorn-Gimili-Legolas/Merry-Pippin arcs edited into one long sequence, to be followed by the Sam-Frodo sequence.

Before I saw the movie, I thought they made the right decision to edit the movie together that way, but after seeing it, I changed my mind. I thought the individual story arcs lacked focus and the narrative spent too much time hopping back and forth.
Old 08-15-03, 09:48 PM
mwj

anyone know if there will be any "making of helms deep" documentary or if there is any extended footage in that area.

In an interview Peter Jackson said almost all the added footage is character development and not more battle scenes. I think Helm's Deep will be covered, but I am not sure it gets it's own doc.

MASSIVE will be covered. It is the software which was used to make the large orc army which fights at Helm's Deep.
Old 08-16-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I saw in the trailer for the extended edition, there are little bits of fighting thrown in, especially concering Orcs and the trees.
Old 08-16-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by harosa
August 26th for the Normal, Extended sometime in Nov.
Nov. 18, to be exact.
Old 08-19-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts
Did they fix the whole Go all the way to the gates of mordor, then get captured and back to gondor, and then to mordor.