Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Raise The Titanic Released In R2 (8-11-03)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is old news.
Raise The Titanic

Does anyone know if this is available in OAR?
Or better yet, if any announcement has been made for a US release?
~Thanks~
Old 08-17-03, 07:25 PM

Wow, this thread sank like the Titanic.
Old 08-17-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Always far fetched but once they found out it broke in two, kind of made it ridiculous didn't it? Remember seeing it on cable and was about as exciting as Poseidon Adventure II.
Old 08-17-03, 08:17 PM

I agree. The movie was pretty far out, but for me it's nostalgic. Historical facts not withstanding. This film could be picked apart for days and I'd help do it, but I think that's part of its appeal to some people. Even though it's campy, I still love it.

Being a HUGE Clive Cussler fan and I really dig this movie even though it was really screwed up. - Trust me, the book is MUCH better - LOL!!

I've noticed that on Ebay, there's a version of this movie that is 2:35.1, but the cover is different. Hopefully someone has some info on this release.

~Cheers~
Old 08-18-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one you saw on ebay might be the Swedish release, which is indeed non-anamorphic 2.35:1. Does it say "Clive Cussler" in big letters, and then "Lyft Titanic" below? That's the one.

This movie is and will always be one of my all-time favorite films. I love it every bit as much as some people love "Star Wars".
Old 08-18-03, 07:07 PM

Thanks shill66, that sounds like the same one I saw on Ebay. I might have to order it despite the nasty cover art - LOL! Hopefully someone will know if the new R2 release is LTBX.
After all the years I've waited for this film in its OAR, I don't even care if it's anamorphic.
Old 08-18-03, 08:16 PM

According to Blackstar and Benson's World, this is widescreen but neither says whether it is anamorphic. Only extra is a trailer. Why is it so damnably hard to find info on foreign releases on foreign sites, especially Amazon UK?
Old 08-18-03, 08:19 PM

Whoops - Blackstar says it's anamorphic : http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000081199.
Old 08-18-03, 09:21 PM
Rest in Peace

Hebt Die Titanic Shows back of ship with lights on going down

The correct OAR is 1.85:1, I have a Region 2 "Raise The Titanic" in subject line for about a year now and I am learning a lot of german. The German Language only "Raise The Titanic"is a anamorphic 1.85:1, what I love is the John Barry score in Dolby Surround from silva screen records the whole album is from RTT. I have watched the made in 1980 film about 400 times so I know the words, once in a while I just lip synch the DVD and play the Dolby Surround music when I know it would be coming on. Stars Jason Robards, David Selby, Richard Jordan, M. Emmet Walsh, Dirk Blocker, Anne Archer all about a mineral called Byzanium and the delivery called "The Sicillian Project". How they mixed up the word Sotheby
Spoiler:
Sotheby was not a man, but a graveyard near village of Sotheby,UK. Arthur Brewster buried the Byzanium under the name of the man they found in cave that was frozen to death in a storm Jake Hobart. Arthur Brewster forgot to mail the post card that had a picture of a graveyard near Sotheby, but they only found the card 'after' the raised the Titanic.

Comes in keep case with 2 page insert with in german chapters, running time 108 minutes, DD mono and features anamorphic 1.85:1, it's spoken a loud in german (english synch) so my lip synching is good,and I play my CD of RTT from silva screen. There is one more work around, from a guy who has the time to learn it.
P.S. All that was typed is from memory of watching that great to me, science fiction movie to you.

Last edited by danol; 08-18-03 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 05:56 AM

On the cover, the line that says "there's only one thing left to do" actually has the "e" missing at the end of the word "one." Did the case actually get released with a major mistake like that? If so, that's inexcusably, unbelievably lazy work.
Old 08-19-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Hebt Die Titanic Shows back of ship with lights on going down

Originally posted by danol
The correct OAR is 1.85:1
That's incorrect. "Raise the Titanic" was 2.35:1.
Old 08-19-03, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Tarnower
On the cover, the line that says "there's only one thing left to do" actually has the "e" missing at the end of the word "one." Did the case actually get released with a major mistake like that? If so, that's inexcusably, unbelievably lazy work.
Bummer!! - Well that just cancelled my order

Not!! - LOL!!